Do It Yourself: Spicy Dill Pickle Recipe
When temperatures rise in the summer, cooking gets complicated. Who wants to turn on the oven or stand over the stove?
With this recipe, problem solved. Whip up a batch of these spicy dill pickles, then leave them in the fridge for whenever you’re in the mood for a simple, cool, crunchy snack.
Spicy Dill Pickles
3/4 cup distilled vinegar
1 1/2 Tbsp. kosher salt
1 1/2 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. coriander
6 cloves garlic, halved
2 cups water
3 cucumbers, halved and then quartered lengthwise
2 long green chili peppers, halved
10 sprigs dill
- Combine the vinegar, salt, sugar, coriander, and garlic in a 1-qt. jar.
- Place a lid on the jar and shake it until the salt and sugar dissolve.
- In a pitcher, combine this brine with the water.
- Fill the jar with the cucumber spears.
- Slide the chili peppers and dill into the jar between the cucumber spears.
- Pour the brine mixture over the pickle spears until the jar is full to the top.
- Seal the jar and refrigerate for up to a month.
The longer the pickles sit, the more potent the dill and chili pepper flavors will be. For those with a low tolerance for spiciness, simply use 1 chili pepper instead of 2.
Makes one jar of 24 pickle spears.