A Special Holiday Recipe From Actor Mayim Bialik
The Big Bang Theory‘s Mayim Bialik is spreading vegan cheer this holiday season with a traditional Hanukkah delicacy: vegan sofganyot, or vegan jelly doughnuts. Wow your friends and family with this cruelty-free dessert at your Hanukkah celebration this weekend or at any holiday get-together that you’re planning! Check out Mayim’s personal recipe to make this year’s Festival of Lights even brighter.
Vegan Jelly Doughnuts (Sofganyot)
1 pkg. (1 scant Tbsp.) active dry yeast
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup + 2 Tbsp. rice or soy milk
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
1 1/4 tsp. coarse salt
Egg replacer equivalent to 2 eggs
3 Tbsp. melted (then cooled) vegan margarine
6 cups vegetable oil
Powdered sugar (optional)
- Combine the yeast, sugar, and 1 cup of the nondairy milk in a small bowl. Let stand until foamy, about 8 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour and salt. Add the yeast mixture, egg replacer, and cooled margarine and beat until soft but not sticky (I do this by hand, but a stand mixer can also be used).
- On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough until smooth and elastic, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl coated with cooking spray and cover loosely with plastic wrap. Let rise in a draft-free place until doubled, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Punch the dough down. Knead a few times and roll out to 1/4-inch thickness. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and let sit for 5 minutes. Cut out rounds with a 2-inch cookie cutter (or drinking glass!) and transfer to a lightly floured baking sheet. Cover with the towel and let rise in a warm place for 20 minutes.
- Heat the vegetable oil to 375°F, or just until a drop of dough makes it bubble. Fry each doughnut for about 1 minute on each side and remove with a slotted spoon. Let cool on a wire rack before serving.
- Optional: Fill each doughnut with jelly and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Makes 8 doughnuts
Mayim sat down with PETA to share why she is so passionate about being vegan. In this exclusive video, she gives us the skinny on vegan parenting and describes the positive effects that a meat-free diet has had on her health.
Need more vegan holiday recipes to awe your friends and family? We’ve got your back! Check out our selection of all your holiday favorites—vegan-style.