5 Easy Tricks for Caring for Your Cats and Dogs

Loving your animal companion is easy. Cuddle time and afternoon naps are a given! But caring for them? That’s a different story. Lovable as they are, animals have needs, just like us, and they require a time commitment! The next time you find yourself removing furballs from the couch, accidently stepping on dog food strewn across the kitchen floor, or trying to make your animals comfy, consider these quick and easy tips for caring for your companion.

Doggie Bowl Messes

Slurping water and crunching down dinner is a sloppy affair for pups. To keep things clean, slip a place mat under your furry friends’ food and water bowls. When they make messes, all you have to do is lift the bowl and carry the mess to the trash on the place mat.

Hair on Your Clothes

A lint roller can remove just about any soft, fuzzy thing clinging to your shirt, pants, or coat. But if you don’t have one handy, roll a piece of masking tape into a loop, sticky side out. Slip your hand into the loop, and pat yourself down. Presto, the fur is gone!

Hot Kitties

When it’s super-hot outside, cool your cats down by rubbing them gently with a damp washcloth. A word to the wise: Don’t drip water on them! They are not fans of that.

Stale Food

Animals don’t like stale food any more than you do, and they can tell when you’ve reached the bottom of the bag or can. To keep food fresh, store it in an airtight container like Tupperware. It’ll taste better to them and last longer, too.

Fur on the Couch

You can tell an animal guardian by the hair on his or her couch. Animals love to leave behind little forget-me-nots in the form of fur. To remove the hair quickly, use a shower squeegee. Hair will cling to the rubber panel along its edge, and then you can swipe it into the garbage.

***

Try these simple tricks and animal care will become second nature in no time. Plus, with any luck, you’ll get extra cuddles from your animals. Have any other tips to share with fellow animal lovers? Let us know in the comments section!

Commenting is closed.
  • Ms. Bambina says:

I have heard people calling out the cruelty of owning cats and dogs. The way I see it, cats and dogs have been raised for thousands upon thousands of years as domestic pets. They do not last long in the wild, and in the wild they breed to unsustainable numbers. They are better off in homes that love and care for them. Don’t think of it as enslavement, think of the relationship as mutualism or symbiotic. In return for their companionship, them saving our lives (it happens), and their overall general awesomeness, we give them a home. I have had tons of cats and dogs over the years, and believe me, those cats and dogs had plenty of opportunities to run away. But they don’t, because they love us.

• Catherine says:

Hi all! I can’t help but react to a few comments I just read
    @Harley : it’s been almost 20 days since you posted, so I hope you’ve already found useful resources on the internet. If not, it’s not that hard to deal with claws :) First, never play with your bare hand! Instead use cat toys, crinkled papers balls that you throw, wood branches, etc. I even used an oven mitten with my kittens. The kitten needs to understand that it hurts when his claws puncture your skin; if he gets rough and hurts you, stop playing and ignore him for a while (minutes, not days of course!) Eventually he will understand. If the problem is claws on the furniture, just put a scratching board or post in front of the furniture. It works! My couch is safe now that I do that. Cheers and a happy life to all (the cat, your friend and yourself :)
    @linda botbyl : leather? Really? And you proudly post THAT on the Peta website?… :(
    @PenRithStar : I understand your point of view, but I beg to differ. Cats and dogs nowadays are so intimately linked to human lives that they’d be too fragile to live on their own; they’re not wild animals anymore because thousand years of domestication made them evolve into pets. And if I could post a picture here, I’d show you my 2 cats, both rescued from the street, and you’d see why I really don’t think I’ve “enslaved” them. But I must confess that they’ve enslaved me! But a willing slave is it really a slave?

• PenRithStar says:

Parts of PETA like this really sicken me, i don’t see how you can think it’s humane to enslave a dog or cat when they’re animals just like all the other animals.

• Harley says:

Can anyone help me with a kitty scratching problem? My friend just rescued a stray, and he is an adorable kitten, but doesn’t realize how sharp his claws are. My friend will NOT dewclaw his cat… (I made sure of that!) Any suggestions?

• dawn1450 says:

my 14 yr old best friend~husky/afghan mix,Celia, is the world’s worst eater. Always has been, but age has made it worse. i cook everything under the sun for her. my point is, when i do give her canned dog food, i warm it up a little in the microwave. it letms the aroma come out way better~more enticing. works great for aged or poor eating cats too.

• linda botbyl says:

I have 18 cats and they “are allowed” on our furniture only because my hubby and i only buy leather. If a cat up-chucks a hairball it wipes off easily and any residual fur left behind can simply be blown away or swiped off easily cause nothing sticks to leather like it does to material couches.

• chander kumar soni says:

so useful tips.