The 10 Commandments From a Dog’s Perspective

1. My life is likely to last 10 to 15 years; any separation from you will be painful for me. Remember that before you adopt me.

2. Give me time to understand what you want from me; don’t be impatient, short-tempered, or irritable.

3. Place your trust in me and I will always trust you back. Respect is earned not given as an inalienable right.

4. Don’t be angry with me for long and don’t lock me up as punishment; I am not capable of understanding why. I only know I have been rejected. You have your work, entertainment, and friends, but I only have you.

5. Talk to me. Even if I don’t understand your words, I do understand your voice and your tone. You only have to look at my tail.

6. Be aware that however you treat me, I’ll never forget it, and if it’s cruel, it may affect me forever.

7. Please don’t hit me. I can’t hit back, but I can bite and scratch, and I really don’t ever want to do that

8. Before you scold me for being uncooperative, obstinate, or lazy, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I’m not getting the right foods or I’ve been out in the sun too long, or my heart is getting old and weak. It may be I am just dog-tired.

9. Take care of me when I get old. You too will grow old and may also need love, care, comfort, and attention.

10. Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say, “I can’t bear to watch” or “Let it happen in my absence.” Everything is easier for me if you are there. Remember, regardless of what you do, I will always love you.

Author Stan Rawlinson
1993

Commenting is closed.
  • Summer Gonzales says:

aww so true

• Marvin says:

Dogs know you if you are patient enough to them, they are our great buddies and sometimes they do a lot for us, so be nice to them.

• Jem says:

A must read, super heartwarming.. Please take note that this is also for your “Cat” pets! ^_^

• Jp says:

John, my sincerest sympathies to you. I lost my best friend, Peanut on Aug. 19, 2013 worst day of my life. My advice to everyone, hug your dog!

• walter Hanlon says:

I have a white lab,lgot sick really sick and without her being their on the bad days I may not have beaten the disease.sneaker is her name all do anything to make her happy,she go’s every where I go.If you don’t like my dog you won’t like me,remember to allwase hug your dog.

• John Laccohee-Joslin says:

On the 18/10/2013 I lost my best friend Sebastion who had been with me since he was a pup To say I was cut up about it would be an understatement to say the least, I cried my eyes out. He had some sort of heart problem that came on overnight as he was fine the night before when we went for our usual walk.I took him to the vets and they kept him in overnight but he died early the next morning, leaving me so unhappy that I had not been able to say goodbye to him. he was one of those dogs that everyone seems to like as Golden retrievers usually are. I came across the ten commandments from a dogs prospective and really though about every item it mentions and it was then that It really came home to me just how loyal and loving my friend had been and I was glad to say that I think I had done my best for him too but that sadness at not being able to huge him and say goodbye will be with me for ever he was so special. To all dog owners I would say that it might be a good thing to print those Ten commandment out and hang them somewhere you will see them every day and remind you how lucky you are if you have a friend like I Had

• Butterflys Mommy says:

Well you know I read commandment #1 and thought ‘thank god’. Followed with #2 & #3 and decided they were reasonable. Then I read #4, #5 & #6, thinking ‘very good advice again’. After reading #7, #8, & #9 I knew it was high time somebody said all those things out loud. And then I read commandment #10. Tears started streaming down my face. # 10 is me. How could I be so selfish? I am sick to my stomach thinking how horrible I have been when my buddies have needed me most. Gulp…

• Luna says:

This really is true. I just wish that all people would have enough heart to where at least numbers 6,7 and 8 would not be necessary…I wish

• Jannon says:

I love this! I have a Pekinese named Roxie~Joy and I don’t know what I’d do without her. I took her from a family member because there was a small child in the house who would hit her, pull her tail, you name it. He was only 3 at the time so I couldn’t be too upset, especially since I was taking her with me! I came home, looked at my roommate and said “can we keep her?”…from then on she has been less than 5 ft away from me. I was in a horrific car accident and I have Fibromyalgia. She will lay with me for hours, she knows when I’m having a bad day, I just know it! She’s my little angel and I don’t know what I’ll do the day she’s not with me anymore. I cry just thinking about it. I’ve had several dogs in my lifetime, but Roxie has been my bestest little friend, who feels my pain and I feel hers. Its incredible to think of anyone hurting animals, I just don’t see how they can do that. Dog lovers are bettr people. It is SO awesome coming home to her, her unconditional love is immense, she’s a great part of my family. She doesn’t like children too much, for obvious reasons, but she loves me, and I love her. I even make my own dog food. No, she’s not spoiled, not at all HAHA!

• shayna says:

Well now I don’t feel like such a weirdo for talking to my dog.

• Tomas says:

Every word is so true and reminds me how lucky I am to have the companionship of my 2 dogs

• Christine says:

We have two Newfies and a Border Collie. I make sure I tell them what good dogs they are everyday (even if they are a bit naughty sometimes)

• Jane Oliver says:

I was only saying this morning that since i’ve been working my dogs are missing me more, they’re more upset when the house is empty.

• brittnal lee says:

this was so heart-warming. i really do believe my dog lokis one of my truest closest friends. i can pick up on every emotion hes feeling and i feel like he picks up on mine aswel. There is nothing like coming home to something that loves you unconditionally . Dogs are awesome!

• YellowHammer says:

OMG!!! This made me cry! I love my Springer to pieces!!

• tess208 says:

I just put my 15 year old dog down. I had forgotten how much it hurts. But I will never forget her

• Delton Copeland says:

Sabastian has been a great joy and best friend to me ever since I brought him home from the pound. He was just a 10 week old hairball when I adopted him. He is a lab with a rodesian ridigback mix and could not be a better friend. Ilove him more than any person that I know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• marry says:

Dogs are mankinds friends. very like them.

• Bakeca Incontri Roma says:

Just beautiful!

• billie says:

i need to go and wake up my dog and tell him how much i love him

• butetel says:

“You have your work, entertainment, and friends, but I only have you.”

awww…

• Abbey says:

I love this. I just can’t help thinking that something along the same lines for a cat would get a lot of negative feedback.

• Sandy says:

i love dogs so much. This is sooo heartwarming.

• Peyton Yo says:

*runs to go hug dog *

• Vicki Schilling says:

My rodesian ridgeback is my life. I rescued her from a no kill shelter after my yellow lab passed. The shelter misidentified her as a golden retriever mix. My vet told me what she was and I went home and did my homework to learn her breed and her needs. I was appalled to learn how active she needed to be, since I have a neuromucular disease, and my mobility is limited. She is the best therapy for me, making me more active, playing with her everyday. She is my best friend and just knows when I hurt too much to play. She takes away my pain. She is never more than 3 feet away from me at any time. I know when she feels bad, sad or scared. No matter how emotionally painful it will be, I will be with her to the very end. The phrase “mans’ best friend” is the biggest understatement, when it comes to her. I will love and cherish her for as long as she lives.

• marla says:

This made me cry

• teresa tarin says:

I LOVE dogs. They are funny mischievous loving. Best friends

• Adam says:

The last one is the most affecting. Imagine the anguish and confusion of a dog who has been with a family for 15 years being left in the hands of a vet in their last moments. It’s just not right. We have to be there just like it was a child. Our humanity is defined by how we treat the weak, the vulnerable and those who love us unconditionally.

• mary says:

My Dog is my best friend, he is always with me when the other people is gone, when the shadows come to my life, he is there, sitting next to me, he does speak, not in my same language but i understand him. Now he is growing older, i cant imagine my life without him. Guys, if you want to find the genuine love, only take a look into the eyes of a dog.

• Rose Duchess says:

I especially love the last one, they are so right!

• liammylove13 says:

I love this, I do a lot of rescue work and I have had close to 20 dogs so far in my life. I wish more people would pay attention to this then maybe the shelters wouldn’t be so full. I lost 3 dogs in the span of about a 1.5 years. One from old age, one from cancer, and my baby boy from kidney failure. I have other dogs now but the losses still hurt….just not as bad I guess

• Carolyn O' Keane says:

I was in tears reading this, everyone in my office was laughing at me ha ha. I have a beagle who’s nearly 8, he was born with a very bad skin condition and hes terrified of water I spend a fortune on creams, steroids, every week he has a foam bath and once a month I have to beat him into a proper bath where he cries like a baby. Hes a pain but i love him and reading this makes you think that there really just the same as people at the end of the day but the only difference is they cant talk or tell you whats wrong.

• ImBob says:

To everyone who has lost their beloved dog,remember, all dogs go to heaven.

• Olga says:

I cry every time I read this. I’ve had three dogs in my life: an Australian shepherd mix who passed in 2005, a lab/cocker spaniel mix who passed in 2010, & now I’m the mommy of an amazing, loving, beautiful yellow Labrador that I absolutely love with all my heart. I can be having the worst day of my life & I can just come home & she jumps all over me with her tail going crazy. She’s my best friend.

• Paulo Sica says:

This is the saddest thing I’ve ever read about dogs. I mean, I’m depressed now, Marley & Me depressed. I love dogs, but do we have to make it so intense? I had a dog, he was great, but he ate his own poop sometimes, and he was vengeful quite often. Quite a butthole, actually. You guys made me feel bad, and I wasn’t even a bad boss to him.

• Nerise says:

This poster, along with one about how to help the SPCA are up in my bathroom. I figure that anyone who is in our house will visit the facilities at least once and should know what we feel most strongly about in this house. Although our poster has a slight change, reminding that a bite could break bones in your hand, but the dog chooses not to (#7).

In spite of having read the commandments, oh, about a thousand times, I still tear up at the last one and give my pups and kits an extra dose of attention and patience every time I read them (even when I hear the bloody hound checking the kitchen counters…AGAIN!).

• cecile says:

YES EXACTLY! because taking in an animal is such a HUGE comittment, I don’t think you should be forcing this adopt campaign on everyone because people will just adopt them to feel good about themselvs and then you you have to pay thousands in vet bills or force feed the pets have them vomitt on you, and not leave their sight then I’m not so sure most poeple wil be up for it, people need to seriously cosider every posibility, even that of foregoing holidays and certain purchases in order to give a proper life to their pets; they really are like children, just that they live shorter, but the comittment is HUGE.

• Granny Dee says:

I have had 2 Yorkies in the past years. 1st one I got in England, she
    was a very dumb little girl who I loved to bits. Four months before
    my husband left me due to what will be life-long health problems, I had to lose her to heart problems. I told my grown children that I had been hurt too badly to EVER have a pet again,but 5 years later, my son bought a beautiful pound and a half little full-grown
    little thing. She had been used as a breeding dog! At 4 1/2 yrs.
    old, never been given a name , nor walked on grass. Petting was new to her. It took a few weeks but we bonded & I accepted her OCD
    At age 13, she started losing her sight ( I use a white cane) and
    dementia took over. I carried her in a baby carrier for months &
    finally had to do what was right for her. My son put it best when
    he said that we were a ‘couple of needies who gave each other a lot’. These two dogs gave me so much joy that I will never forget.

• Serina says:

My dog just recently was put to sleep. She was only a baby. She got hit by a car along with my little brother while he was walking her. It was a hit and run and we have never found the person resposible. My little brother was ok but our sweet dog Snowball wasn’t. She had internal bleeding and damage to her lungs. The doctor put her to sleep while we were all around her. My little brother still doesn’t understand what happened to her.
    R.I.P Snowball November 3, 2011- July 7, 2012

• Re says:

Our dog just left us a few days ago, it still hurts. The whole family was by her side when the doc injected her. She was in pain and we had to help her. It was a tough decision for us but we didnt want her to suffer. Hope she is in a better place now and happy. :(

• Neil & Nancy McCallum says:

What beautiful thoughts and words. We just put our ‘Cooper’ to sleep at fifteen and a half and we’re absolutely heartbroken but it was the right thing to do at the right time. We were both there at the end and as difficult as it was there’s no other place we could be.

• Judi Darcy says:

My Cooper passed today, 11/16/09. Only 5 yrs old, way too soon. My entire family was with Cooper on his last journey, and we are heartbroken. I have seen the 10 commandments before, and I cry every time I read them. Anyone who would let their pet die among strangers should have the same thing happen to them. And please, when there is no hope left, help them on their way, ease their pain – don’t prolong their lives for your own selfish reasons. Think of how they feel.

• Braelyn Williams says:

Me and my dad both read the ten commandments and we both had tears in our eyes. everything that is said is so true.
    we loved it!
    thank you to the unknown author.