The 10 Commandments From a Dog’s Perspective

1. My life is likely to last 10 to 15 years; any separation from you will be painful for me. Remember that before you adopt me.

2. Give me time to understand what you want from me; don’t be impatient, short-tempered, or irritable.

3. Place your trust in me and I will always trust you back. Respect is earned not given as an inalienable right.

4. Don’t be angry with me for long and don’t lock me up as punishment; I am not capable of understanding why. I only know I have been rejected. You have your work, entertainment, and friends, but I only have you.

5. Talk to me. Even if I don’t understand your words, I do understand your voice and your tone. You only have to look at my tail.

6. Be aware that however you treat me, I’ll never forget it, and if it’s cruel, it may affect me forever.

7. Please don’t hit me. I can’t hit back, but I can bite and scratch, and I really don’t ever want to do that

8. Before you scold me for being uncooperative, obstinate, or lazy, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I’m not getting the right foods or I’ve been out in the sun too long, or my heart is getting old and weak. It may be I am just dog-tired.

9. Take care of me when I get old. You too will grow old and may also need love, care, comfort, and attention.

10. Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say, “I can’t bear to watch” or “Let it happen in my absence.” Everything is easier for me if you are there. Remember, regardless of what you do, I will always love you.

Author Stan Rawlinson
1993

Commenting is closed.
  • Mario Kluser says:

This is cute and heartwarming. I hope that everybody who considers getting a dog thinks about this before doing so. Too many people are buying a dog after watching a nice movie with their kids. The dog is for life, the movie for an hour or two. Alas, not everybody seems to understand this.

Thanks for a great post!
    Mario

• Jazmin says:

This brought me to tears…it’s absolutely beautiful. I truly believe we are the voice of our animals and I just wish that everyone could follow these ‘commandments.’ They deserve all the love and respect in the world :)

• WryBeauty says:

Simply lovely. I love it.

• Robert says:

I have seen this before but I can never read it enough.

• rencsi says:

#9 is very true. it’s very hard to watch a pet age and lose a pet. we can make them comfortable to make their short lives as pleasant as possible.

• Nick says:

People often forget how much a part of humanity dogs are. Remember, by the time the first cat came around, dogs had been with us for five millenia. By the time a human had written the first word, dogs had been a part of our life for ten thousand years. They were our best friends before we invented metal and shelter. You could say we share more of our heritage with Dogs than with any other animal, thing, or idea.

• mikey says:

wow…….

beutiful, my dog died 2weeks ago yesterday. no one will evr replace (F)patch:’(

• Aemelia says:

awwwww i cried :( i lost my 13 yr old labby cross on the 19/12/2008 and i cant bear to get a nother one just yet.. no one w ill ever replace my gorgous boy. I was with him when he died :( most times animals are more special the humans

• Joan Mayer says:

Thanks for reminding people that our beloved dogs are living breathing creatures, and not machines. Especially about the need to educate dogs in a way they understand. Thanks for posting this!

• chad.com says:

wow, that hurts to the core if she is tied up let be free on good property let her run and play for the love of god be free don’t get into too much trouble help me I’ll help you.

• Kim says:

I’ve had sucha crappy day, and to stumble upon reading these 10 Doggie Commandments, it just made the rest of my night better…thank you!:)

• Kirsi says:

So true and touching. It made me teary.

• evan says:

Very excellent!

• Lyndsey. says:

awwh! i have 3 dogs and when i read this, i went and played and hugged and kissed all of them.
    :) its so sweet.

• Ken says:

We love our dog with all of my heart and soul. He is a full member of our family. Our lives are richer becuase of him.

• Shawna B says:

I just reciently had to put my oldest and first dog to sleep due to health problems- this made me cry. Whoever wrote should know that by doing so you have touched my heart. Thank you. God Bless

• Rose says:

This made me cry, made me realise that i take my dog for granted when my other dog died, i wasn’t there, i was at school, luckily my dad was at home with him and he passed in his sleep but it’s still heartbreaking cos he’d always been there, even when i was cross with him for eating my homework (oh yes he did that) or chewing my slippers.

• bernida says:

this reminded me of my doggie, he was so awesome, i was right there when he died, never left him alone, i couldn0t help but burst in tears, its so beautifuly writen but at the same time, so sad :/

• Alison Keeler says:

Tears stream down my face as i write… hope all dogs find good owners. They have a lot to teach us.

• Joi says:

SO beautiful. I wish every pet owner in the world would read these words. Thanks for making certain that a very large number just did.

• Raych says:

Awee.
    This is so cute.
    I seriously cried.
    I don’t get how some people can just do things like that to animals and just sit there and watch it. It’s utterly disgusting. They have no idea that animals are unlike humans, But they also have feelings.

• F says:

Wonderful! They’re not ‘man’s best friend’ because of the way we treat them, but because there’s so much goodness in their hearts that they forgive us for our selfishness, our mood swings, and our pettiness. My first dog (a mongrel) is two years old, and I love her so much that I’d risk my life for her. People who say that animals can’t feel emotions like love, jealousy, etc., have no idea.

• Erik says:

This was so awesome! I love all animals and I’m a vegetarian!

• Rev. Meg Schramm says:

Also, take note of number 10 and burn it into your heart. As a former veterinary assistant I have the “I can’t bear to watch, wait until I leave” excuse too many times. Would you allow your terminally ill child to die in the arms of strangers?

• Susan Dykhuis says:

The Dog 10 Commandments is well written.

Our companion animals are so precious. Why they trust the human animal baffles me but I’m happy my cats do. I can’t imagine how people can harm a companion animal. Because they trust us means we owe them respect, love, good care.

• Emma says:

i had my dog lying in my bed with me as i read this. i cried and he snuggled in closer to me.. i loveed this

• Cacia says:

that brought me to tears that is so beautiful,everyone should think of these things.i love my dog and couldn’t imagine life without her,shes my baby <3

• aya says:

It also made my eyes misty..

• Judith says:

I am also a PETA member whose heart goes out to mistreated animals.

A human might have the means to get out of an abusive situation, but these animals do not.

I also send money to PETA.

I used to own a fur coat many years ago. I would never buy another one! My eyes have been opened to the inhumane way FUR COMPANIES and FOOD COMPANIES, and COSMETICS COMPANIES and RESEARCH LABORATORIES treat animals.

There is another way! (My cat is yowling for food). Gotta go!

JK

• Linda says:

Yes, this made me cry too…
    It breaks my heart how people treat animals.
    They forget that we are animals too..
    But they say we can think, so we are better.
    The world has proven that this thinking-ability of us isn’t used that well…

• Fluffy2002 says:

My opinion: this article will never suffer from over-saturation. It is a message that needs to reach as many people as possible.

My husband watches how people handle animals and judges them accordingly. You can tell a whole lot about people by how they treat their pets. Please shower them with love and keep your promise of a forever home after you adopt them.

• Tiffany says:

This is so beautiful! makes me sad because i love my dog so much…. You wouldn’t believe how bad i feel leaving her at home for five minutes…

• German shepherd momma says:

This made me tear up too. We lost our dog on 12/9 that we had for 7 1/2 wonderful years. We just adopted another German Shepherd on 1/20/09.
    Such a great post!

• Suze says:

I’d add another one:

When you’re feeling blue, come play with me. I promise I’ll make you feel better — it’s what I live for! I’ll even throw in unlimited kisses!

• Chucky says:

It is so cute, and it is so right. I like the 4.commandmen very much and I know it’s true, because my dog eveytimes crie when I leave her alone when I have to go to school. She makes me so sad when she does that. Everyday I’d like to stay with her.

• sarah olunek says:

I can’t even tell you how much I love this!!!!!!maeaaahhhhhhhh!

• Prof R.M.Kaoshik says:

Every animal lover will love this.It brought tears to my eyes

• Annalena says:

Hello!
    There is a a series of phone straps from Japan entitled the 10 commandments of dog. Each strap comes with a little dog breed (I have the shiba Inu) and a plastic tag that has the commandment in Japanese. The list is really beautiful. The straps can be found on ebay. I love your blog KP as an adoring mum of two precious pooches with very different personalities. I am a shelter worker and appreciate all the canine topics you cover on here.Your pooches are all very sweet and I liked to hear about their individual stories. My shy and very perceptive shepherd/collie mix named Grissom was locked up in a basement and rarely fed up until he was about 9 months. My other dog is a holy terror, Mitsuki the Shiba Inu with a load of spunk and craftiness.

• Emily says:

I agree with this for the most part.
    I do have one dog that will bite. She bit my hand the other day(May 17, 2008) and we have had her since she was around three months old. She is around 10 and a half now.
    My two other dogs are very loyal to me, especially my great dane and they both would never bite me.

>>>KP’s Response:

Hi Emily,
    Could she be in pain?
    KP

• sharmee bhatt says:

Every animal lover will love this.It brought tears to my eyes.

• Cherry says:

I love this!
    It got me teary eyed. I love my dogs very much. They are a very important part of my life. I could never let them “go” without me if could help it.
    I see a lot of owners choose not to be with their pet where I work. I do my best to make that “journey” as peaceful and comfortable as possible. It is never easy. I am there for them.

• Julie says:

That was absolutely beautiful. I couldn’t help but cry as well. I read it out loud to my dog and I think she understood it (and agreed).

• beqi says:

Its so beautiful!

It touched my heart!!

The truth I am sure that they think and feel it really

• Laura Flores says:

This is really beautiful and touching!!

It made love even more my dog!!

Regards,
    Laura

• Skip Joens says:

have 2 dogs now and love them very much

• Share' Littleton says:

this also made me cry. I have lost many dogs and always held them while they passed, as hard as it was for me, passing with a stranger is worse for them…please remember this….

• Greg says:

The 4th commandment should touch the heart of a human. It should outright remind everyone of us that dogs or animals are not a “thing”. Please don’t get pets from puppy-mills!

• Leanne says:

This Made my eye’s swell my dog died resently so it hit home.

• Nichola says:

This is beautiful, well done whoever wrote it!

• a friend says:

that made me cry. it is beautiful