Best Cruelty-Free Drugstore Shampoos and Conditioners

Lori Bergamotto of RealSimple.com recently posted an article about the best drugstore shampoos and conditioners. As caring consumers, we were bummed to see that none of the products featured were cruelty-free, so below, we have made a cruelty-free version of this list for all you compassionate consumers out there.

PETA staff picks for their favorite budget-friendly hair-care products:

Shampoo for Dry Hair
David Babaii for WildAid Hydrating Shampoo, $30

Best Shampoo for Oily Hair
Freeman Papaya and Lime, Shine Shampoo, $4

Best Dandruff Shampoo
Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat Shampoo, $8

Best Shampoo for Curly or Wavy Hair
Kiss My Face Big Body Volumizing Shampoo, $8

Best Shampoo for Fine Hair
Avalon Organics Rosemary Volumizing Shampoo With Wheat Protein, $9

Best Shampoo for Color-Treated Hair
Yes to Cucumbers Color Protection Shampoo, $9

Best Shampoo for Chemically Processed Hair
L’Oreal EverPure Moisture Shampoo, Rosemary Juniper, $7
*L’Oreal is not a cruelty-free company, but the Ever Pure line is vegan and cruelty-free.

Best Conditioner for Dry Hair
David Babaii for WildAid Hydrating Conditioner, $10

Best Conditioner for Oily Hair
Freeman Papaya and Lime, Shine Conditioner, $4

Best Conditioner for Dandruff
JASON Tea Tree Scalp Normalizing Conditioner, $7

Best Conditioner for Curly or Wavy Hair
Giovanni Direct Leave-In Conditioner, $8

Best Conditioner for Fine Hair
Avalon Organics Rosemary Volumizing Conditioner With Wheat Protein, $9

Best Conditioner for Color-Treated Hair
L’Oreal EverPure Moisture Conditioner, Rosemary Mint, $7

PETA is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide websites with a means to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.

Commenting is closed.
  • Debi says:

I tried L’oreal Everpure shampoo and conditioner and my hair started falling out in clumps after using it for about a month. Also, I usually only wash my hair every second day, but with this shampoo I had to wash it every day as it was so greasy just 24 hours after I had washed it.

• Dana says:

Very surprised that Matrix and Nexxum are not on this list, They do not test on animals and are great quality shampoo’s.

• Tracy says:

When did ‘Yes To’ go back to being cruelty-free?

• sd2003 says:

I’m really trying to be more animal and organically friendly however I am on a budget. This is a great list for people like me who can’t afford crazy prices or go to speciality shops every time I run out of hair products! Thank you so much

• Caroline says:

Thank you sooo much for putting this info out there. especially for people like me who are trying to be as animal conscious as possible. Keep up the amazing work!!

• MS says:

anybody know any good cruelty-free products that are available internationally? (specifically, shampoo/conditioner in Israel)

• Teagan says:

TO LAURA: Pantene, Aussie, and Dove all TEST ON ANIMALS !!!

• Marion Wilson says:

Am surprised and a little disappointed you would recommend Loreal to your readers. They sell their Vegan products at my local pharmacy, but I don’t buy them because I refuse to buy from companies that test, period.

• lola says:

Loreal??

• Social Submission says:

uX1lBL Thank you for your article post.Really looking forward to read more. Really Great.

• Margret says:

Where in Australia can I get loreal ever pure moisture shampoo/ conditioner? Safe online sites?

• Maggie says:

Omg I’m so happy with this. I have been getting into cruelty-free stuff with my mom and I’m heartbroken at all the products that test on animals! This also helps because we don’t shop online.
    Thank you!

• Caroline says:

THANK YOU!!!!! For compiling this…My daughter and I refuse to buy products tested on animals and due to a recent budget crunch, realized I may not be able to continue such shopping without breaking the bank. HUGE applause =^)

• bigheart says:

So, I could use a suggestion:

I’m looking for something cruelty-free (of course,) that can conquer these hair challenges:

ECZEMA, a thick head full of FINE HAIR (getting a bit sparser with time,) and living in a desert (actually, it’s more like: I had Botticelli curls and I didn’t have to do a thing when I lived in 100% HUMIDITY where I grew up. Here, were most humidity is below 10%, if I’m lucky, I get to see a rare few curls and wavy hair the first hr. out of the shower.)

Is there such a thing as cruelty-free hair products that can accomplish all 3 things? (I’d love to have my curls back, they were part of my personality :) )

Thanks!

• LarryXA says:

Thx, this has definitely made my day!

_______________________
    Cradle Mattress Pad

• wendy says:

im amazed buy all the feedback,i recently went vegetarien and with that and lifestyle changed as well as my daily routine i didnt realize most of the products i used were harmful to myself and animals, i work at target so i love that we have an aisle dedicated to cruelty free produucts for guests which i myself use, giovannis,kiss my face and burts bees are all amazing. this list does help steer my direction even better tho!!!!

++++also it wasnt on the list but anyone know of a great leave in treatment for split ends?or weekly deep conditioning treatment?++++++

************does anyone know if Organix is
    -cruelty free
    -paraben free
    im always reading there labels but there site doesnt specify it just gives the varieties they offer +++++++++++++
    gracias :)

• caroll says:

my son whom is 7 yrs old love animals and want to see them up close he is diagnosed with autism.he wants to see a toucan bird but I am against going to the zoo.what do you suggests i take him to see this bird

• Janee says:

Nice list. I’ve seen White Rain at Walgreens, Dollar Tree, and HEB (for those of you in Texas).. It is only $1! I mostly buy their shower gel because I found that their shampoos and conditioners were not “conditioning” enough for my super dry hair. I love the Freeman’s papaya and lime. It smells delicious!

I’ve also bought Organix at Walgreens and Target. It says they are not tested on animals. Anyone know more about this company?

As for V05 and Tresemme, are these really not tested on animals?

There is so much confusion! Try looking for the “Leaping Bunny” seal. I’ve seen it on Shikai products at my local health food store. They make awesome lotions.

• Megan says:

I Worked at The Body Shop for 3 years. Once bought out by L’Oreal nothing changed. Definitely not the animal testing as it means so much to people who shop there. If TBS started to animal test, they wouldn’t be allowed to state that on their products, as that is quite illegal. It is actually L’Oreal that stopped testing once they bought out TBS. The reason they (and alot of other cosmetic companies) can’t state that on their products is because alot of the products they are selling were tested on animals in the past. It takes a 5 year period of not testing their cosmetics on animals before the companies are allowed to state that on their products.
    I hope this was slightly helpful for those who care =)

• Lauren says:

Tresemme doesn’t test on animals and its pretty high quality.

• KarenM says:

I am surprised that the brand “Live Clean” was not mentioned as it is not only cruelty-free, there is also less packaging and the products are certified organic. Made in Canada.

• Valerie says:

I really wish PETA would be more specific as to what is vegan and what isn’t. Being cruelty free is awesome, but it’s not good enough for me. I only use pure vegan products, and it would be helpful if the companies that give PETA their information would include if they are vegan are not. Then PETA could relay that information to us whenever they mention cruelty free products. I agree 100% with Keely. If a product includes animal byproducts it is not 100% cruelty free. Not tested on animals and cruelty free should be separate categories. I would love to hear about more vegan products so I can support them. It would be better if companies that are vegan would spell it out for us.

• Louise says:

Despite L’oreal’s other products being tested on animals, buying the line of cruelty-free products shows them that people WANT other options and hopefully they see the need for cruelty-free and continue to make those.
    its all dollar voting.
    If you buy their cruelty-free, they are more likely to continue to sell or even extend those options.

• Susan says:

Even though L’Oreal is not a Cruelty-Free company over all, people should still support EverPure because it sends a message to this huge company that there are a big market of people interested in buying these types of animal/cruelty free products (vegan). Then by doing this, hopefully the company would expand their lines to include more animal/cruelty free options. It also forces other large companies that compete with L’Oreal to create similar products.

BUT, if no one purchases these products, such as EverPure, it just send a message to L’Oreal and other companies, that people really don’t care what’s in their products and L’Oreal will just continue their same old ways instead of moving forward.

These massive companies are not going away. So instead of shunning their effort, we should support it. These companies are finally realizing many people are interested in spending money on animal/cruelty free products, so much in fact, they created EverPure to compete with other smaller companies – so let’s be supportive and show them that IS what people want and demand it!

I don’t know about you, but I think it would be great to go to the neighborhood drug store and have tons of options for animal/cruelty free products as reasonable prices. Let’s face it, I live in the Midwest. The prices I pay for vegan or cruelty products are not only extremely expensive, they are also hard to find.

• steph says:

I think it is important to point out the vegan purity issue here. Yes, L’oreal tests on animals. Yes that’s terrible. But, why not show your support for a vegan product not tested on animals that this companies makes?

I think you will find it impossible to really know which companies you support due to the tangled web of corporate ownership. You would have to buy local, from a small biz, or do some extremely thorough research to avoid giving your money to a company you disagree with.

Don’t be a vegan purity martyr. Support vegan products.

• Karmah says:

I use Giovanni shampoos, conditioners and shine gloss, and let me tell you, all their products are the best I’ve ever used!

I order their conditioner by the case, so I won’t ever run out, and at least once every day someone comments on my ‘beautiful’ hair.

If you use Giovanni, you won’t need anything else.

• Rose says:

Here’s the problem with Alberto Culver’s products…for Tresemme and vo5 the label states,”This product not tested on animals”. Very specific, very tricky, this means that SOMETHING in his range of products IS tested, and I believe that product is a feminine spray (fds I think). This is why I choose White rain(Ocean Mist scent is primo) when shopping for a shampoo “on the cheap”. I have yet to see anything bad about Huish the maker of White Rain. When splurging I looove Nexxus or Organix brand(now available @Target)! Someone above mentioned Aussie brand…so sad they sold out, I remember when I was a kid in the 80’s they were family owned and completely cruelty-free. The ads had the whole Redmond family from grampa & grannie all the way down to the lil ones all in their red/white robes. Such a shame…I used to really like the citrifier clarifying shampoo and the Moist shampoo…as a kid I would never use thr 3min Miracle though cause it contained orange roughy oil (orange roughy is a fish)!

• Rebecca King says:

I have been buying cruelty free products for years… lotions shampoos toothpaste…i always clean my home in vinegar and baking soda, vinegar and water in a bottle makes your hair sleek and shine like highlights… i was amazed .
    http://www.internatural.com has wonderful wonderul products…kissmyface, jason..natures gate, check out beauty without cruelty their lavender shampoo is to die for and eho body lotions, echo Bella vanilla body creme is to fab and the smell. they have cleaning supplies and the ship is free over 50.00, i buy everything there including my vitamin c, body washes, try queen Helen, grapefruit face mask and its only 3.99, all that money i used to spend on clinique…. forget it, try jason moisturizer, there are to many of those to mention….just go take a look at the site. i love to shop there and you ll get your order in like 2 days.

• Tina Flores says:

Check out Alberto V-05 shampoo and conditioners. They state on the bottles that their product is not tested on animals. The products are very inexpensive, around $1.29 and when on sales sometimes .99 cents

• Lisa says:

I use Tresemme. The bottle says that it’s not tested on animals.

• Keely says:

The problem is that a lot of products that have “Not tested on animals” stamped on them still contain animal byproducts so they are not technically cruelty free. It’s gotten to the point where if I see something (like gelatin) that doesn’t specify that it’s from a vegetable source then I don’t buy it, just to be on the safe side. And, I actually picked up the above mentioned Freemans Lime/Papaya shampoo just yesterday and I read the list of ingredients and while the bottle did say that the product wasn’t tested on animals it did NOT specify that it was cruelty free. Another point to consider, while a lot of products are stamped “Not tested on animals” sometimes they are just referring to the finished product not being tested on animals. Often times individual ingredients ARE tested on animals. This makes it really hard to shop when you’re trying to stick to cruelty-free products, especially when you live in a small town like I do, but it’s much easier on my conscience.

• Amelie says:

Down Under Naturals is cruelty free AND biodegradeable (it’s written on the bottle).

• Beautify says:

Loreal testson animals, and yes definitely if you buy theier products, you are giving them money to treat animals cruelly.

Original Source brand also makes cruelty free vegan products, their shower gels and shampoos are great. Their cocoa butter shower gel is amazing.

You can find them at any superstore like wal-mart, asda, tesco

• Lorraine says:

If you look at the L’oreal.ca website they claim that they dont test on animals.

• Michel says:

I like Beauty Without Cruelty (BWC) Daily Benefits (~$7.50/e). I found it at my local Good Foods co-op. I really recommend checking out their site for more information on their products (i.e, vegetarian ingredients, fair pricing, etc.). I’ve been using it about two weeks now and think my hair seems to be in much better condition now that I’m using something that’s also SLS-free.

• Janelle says:

LAURA.
    Unfortunely, all of the brands you mentioned (Panetene, Aussie, Dove) are owned by companies that STILL participate in animal testing. There are many great brands that are cruelty-free so please visit PETA’s website for an easy printable ‘take-along’ list. Make cruelty-free a way of life! Thank you for caring!

• carol anderson says:

I’M STILL CONFUSED BY L’OREAL. I DO NOT BUY THEIR PRIODUCTS BECAUSE THEY DO TEST ON ANIMALS. ALSO, WHY DON’T ALL CRUELTY FREE COMPANIES SAY SO ON THEIR LABEL? I LOOK FOR THAT WHEN I DON’T KNOW ABOUT THE PRODUCT. IF IT AIN’T ON THE LABEL, I DON’T BUY THE PRODUCT. I MAY MISS OUT ON A GOOD ITEM, BUT I WANT TO BE SURE IT IS CRUELTY FREE.

• Bonnie says:

One of the things I am having trouble keeping straight is finding cruelty free, fair trade certified and organic non gmo products, all issues which are important to me. Anybody know any good shampoos for normal hair that fit this description? Because JASON and a few others are NOT organic.They may use words like “natural” which is unregulated.

• Jeanette says:

Organix makes great shampoos and conditioners and they are not tested on animals. You can find them at CVS and Rite Aid for about $7 a bottle.

• Carine says:

Hey, people!

You should take a look at Surya Brazil! It has a great organic-vegan line of shampoos, conditioners and all kind of products for skin and hair! They are from Brazil and respect the environment… all their products are paraben free! I use their proudcts since 2008 and I´m loving it! I will never stop using it!

Take a look! They sell their products in USA and have even won prizes for ecological products! You can visit their website and choose for English as your language.

Regards,

Carine

• Laura says:

I have a question. I have very thick hair and there are only a few shampoos and conditioners that do the trick for my hair. I use Pantene, Aussie, or Dove. Can anyone tell me if those are cruelty free? If they aren’t I guess I’ll be looking to try something on the list above. Please help. Thank you:)

• Monse:) says:

Wow, i had no idea of these really cheap shampoos and conditioners. I was buying some $13 dollar ones. Thanks!

• Steve K. says:

Kimberly – you can find JASON, Avalon Organics, Giovanni and Kiss My Face hair and skin care products in most Whole Foods Markets. If Nashville has a Whole Foods, you should check out their hair/skin care section. Good luck!

• peg mccarthy says:

I saw that article in Real Simple and had the same thought about the absence of cruelty free products. I also agree that L’Oreal shouldn’t be mentioned, and I am surprised that it is. (That goes for the any of Body Shop products now too, seeing as how L’Oreal owns them now.)

It’s too bad that companies still test on animals in this day and age. We should be able to buy any product and not have it be part of that awful practice.

• Yuri says:

I totally agree with Beverley by buying products from any non-cruelty free companies we’re only sending the message that its okay for them to test on animals and we’re funding their animal testing experiments. If we keep together and we send a strong message by boycotting their products there may be hope for these innocent animals.

• Ali says:

Sounds like a great list. We sell all of these products (except White Rain and Yes to Cucumbers) at Savemart in Lancaster, PA. I have seen a promising increase in consumer’s choice of all-natural, cruelty-free products such as these at our store. :)

• Amy says:

Target sells Kiss My Face and Avalon. You can buy Jason products at The Vitamin shoppe or online @ drugstore.com. David Babaii is sold at RiteAid and Sally Beauty. Giovanni and Freeman are sold pretty much everywhere – Target, Walmart, CVS, Ulta,

• Rebecca says:

I don’t know if it would be considered a ‘best,’ but I suggest VO5 if you’re trying to be cruelty-free AND watching your budget at the same time. In my area (SW PA) I can get a bottle of shampoo or conditioner for 99 cents (79 cents on sale) at most area drug store/supermarkets. I’m not too picky and I think they do the trick!

• Beverley Rahnn says:

You state that L’Oreal is NOT a cruelty free company, however by buying their EVER PURE line still constitutes that buying anything from their EVER PURE or any line still helps their company to still TEST ON ANIMALS as long as you buy any of their products your still buying L’OREAL your still funding their animal testing. I dont think you should even give this company a second thought.

• Kimberley Aden says:

Where is the best place to find some of these shampoos and conditioners. I always avoid L’oreal because I know they are not cruelty free, but aside from the White Rain, I have never seen any of these listed products anywhere.

We live just west of Nashville TN but I can shop in Nashville if you know of a place in Nashville where I can find these products.