Update: Rough Waters for SeaWorld: More Acts Bail

Written by PETA | December 17, 2013

Update: Anyone interested in hearing SeaWorld CEO Jim Atchison‘s attempt at the bongo? Didn’t think so. But soon that may be the park’s only option for musical entertainment.

Following in the wake of the Barenaked Ladies and Willie Nelson, HeartTrisha YearwoodCheap TrickMartina McBrideREO Speedwagon, and .38 Special have all canceled their scheduled performances at SeaWorld.

In addition, Joan JettThe Edgar Winter Group, and, Darren Hayes (formerly half of the Australian duo Savage Garden) have all demanded that SeaWorld stop using their music in its shows.

While artists abandon SeaWorld faster than the captain of the Costa Concordia abandoned his ship, it looks like stockholders are doing the same. The Blackstone Group, the majority owner of SeaWorld, is trying to dump nearly 19 million shares of stock, meaning it would give up its majority stake in the company.

All signs point to SeaWorld’s being all washed up.

Originally posted on December 6, 2013:

Heeding the call of 12,000 fans, Canadian rockers Barenaked Ladies have decided to bow out of a scheduled performance at SeaWorld in February. Drummer Tyler Stewart helped his bandmates make the decision to drop the gig after watching the riveting documentary Blackfish, which chronicles the miserable lives of orcas in SeaWorld’s cramped tanks.

Willie Nelson©StarMaxInc.com

In a similar change of tune, music legend Willie Nelson also canceled his show at SeaWorld. When asked why by CNN, he had some heartfelt words:

All that stuff is hard on animals. It’s cruel. What they do at SeaWorld is not OK.

Listen to his interview with CNN:

Seeing the way the tide is turning, SeaWorld has now taken down its entire list of scheduled performers.

PETA is sending these kind artists some orca-shaped vegan chocolates to say “Thanks!” for making the compassionate decision not to support the cruel theme park. You can join the “Ladies” and Willie by never buying a ticket to SeaWorld.

Comments

• Robyn says:

Trying t be vegan or vegetarian well it’s hard but I shall find some VEGAN candy

• Vicky says:

Only PETA can acomplish such a triumph, thank you!!!!

• syzygysb says:

I tweeted my thanks and admiration to Willie. My hero, along with all the others who canceled their gigs. Right on!

• Gayle says:

As human beings, it is against the law to entice, hold or tame a wild animal. Money, Greed and Power are what Sea World’s Organization is all about. To the Organizations who are fighting for the safety of Wild Creatures, I commend you and to all who support these organizations, you are doing the right thing in supporting the release of such wonderful creatures of the wild…

• Jasmine says:

Watching Blackfish has change my view on lots of things. My family and a few friends have since ban Sea World. I used to have a season pass but I if I would have known what I know now I would of NEVER gone to ANY of Sea World’s parks. I will continue to spread the word about what really happens at Sea World.

• Christine says:

I watched Blackfish today and my heart is broken. I hope and pray that Sea World goes bankrupt. It is utterly disgusting. What a crime.

• Robyn says:

After watching Blackfish it broke my heart,I’ve been crying my eyes out 4 the capturing of the whales.i will never ever ever go 2 sea world…….

• Sally Anne Hubbard says:

Willie Nelson, Heart and Barenaked Ladies all compassionate, wonderful people that are making a huge difference in the world. I always loved Willie Nelson and now even more. They all put the human in humanity.

• carla dias says:

i`ve always loved willie nelson`s music, but now even more! he always had a social attitude towards many subjects. Thanks a lot!

• Anonymous says:

Awesome

• halchka says:

Million thank yous to the Barenaked Ladies & my long time love Willie Nelson; as a 62 yr young baby boomer we made mistakes in our day for lack of available information, but now, with ALL we are taught & shown, there is SO MUCH we can do & WILL take advantage of it! Montreal, Canada ♥

• Karen Colman says: