What’s Elephant for ‘Ringling Beats Animals’?

Written by PETA | March 8, 2010
oxox / CC by SA 2.0
elephant

We already know that elephants in the wild lead rich emotional lives, but recent findings about elephant brainpower and a “secret” language of low-frequency sounds have me wondering what these clever animals gossip about in the wild, and I’m going to have nightmares tonight about what the elephants who are beaten by Ringling are trying to tell us.

Among the researchers’ conclusions is that while baby elephants will shriek to signal distress, adult elephants shriek only from pain. If you’ve seen PETA’s undercover footage and the photographs from a former Ringling trainer, you know there are a lot of shrieking elephants at Ringling: Mothers and babies shriek as they are dragged away from each other with chains and ropes, babies shriek during violent “training” sessions, and trainers induce plenty of agonized shrieks as they dig their metal-tipped bullhooks into the elephants’ sensitive skin.

As one researcher in Kenya said about the elephants he studied, “They’ve proved to have abilities which have only been found elsewhere in the great apes and humans.” If you don’t think humans belong chained and beaten in the circus, please don’t support circuses that use elephants. Maybe this is how elephants say “thank you.”

Written by Heather Drennan

Comments

• CHRISTIANA says:

Laura whithmore march 10 i would love to be involved in your boycott of ringling i am now working on all50 governers to investigate ringling from begining to end and assighn someone to all or some ringling at all times trainingperformingexercise and cruelty and safety of all animal ringling with love l.O.V.E.

• chelsea says:

I too could not believe Project Runway would be so blind! Its time to start doing something in a big way!! These creatures are suffering everyday that the madness of animal cruelty continues! THIS IS AN ABSOLUTE TRAGEDY AND IT NEEDS TO STOP!!!!!!!BOYCOTT ALL ANIMAL CIRCUSES

• Cynthia says:

I have told people for years to stay away from the circus and tell everyone about the terrible animal abuse that occurs there. I was particularly outraged when I saw a recent episode of Heidi Klum’s show The Runway and the designers were taken to Ringling Bros. circus for ideas on designing outfits.

• Tiff says:

Hello. I went to the ringling zing Zhang zoom show today. I was very upset with the way they whipped the poor animals after the sea world incident. I believe wild animals should be left in their natural habitats. Next time I will visit an animal free circus

• Carla says:

Ditto on your post Laura!! When will Ringling be put out of business. What they do is cruel and should be against the law!!! It makes me sad and angry that these beautiful elephants are put through “pain” for human entertainment. People who go to these “Pathetic” circuses are all guilty of abuse. Wake up!!!!!

• Rad_Rosa89 says:

When will Ringling learn??

• Laura Whitworth says:

I protested the Ringling Show in Orlando FL this last January. It was difficult knowing that the elephants were being abused even as we stood outside with our signs trying to help them… I held to the hope that at least one person would read our literature or google the circus’s website… and have their eyes opened… I wish I could whisper into one of the elephants ears that there are people who love them pray for them and are fighting for their freedom. People who will never give up on them. BIG SIGH…………