Wal-Mart Charged With Cruelty

Written by PETA | April 8, 2009
greece / CC
Pigeon

Yes, you read that right. The manager of a Wal-Mart store in Hamilton Township, New Jersey, (along with an exterminator) was charged with cruelty to animals for setting traps for birds who fly into the store and allegedly failing to checking the traps for days on end, causing birds to die of dehydration. The apparently kick-ass Atlantic City SPCA filed the charges after three dead birds were found—along with 10 live ones—in a cage trap that apparently hadn’t been checked for nearly a week. In a move that would be funny if it weren’t so tragically stupid, the traps were equipped with water bottles—which wild birds don’t know how to use.

As the Atlantic City SPCA pointed out, there are plenty of nonlethal ways to deal with birds who fly into big-box stores, including installing high-power fans over doors, installing “air doors”—which are energy-efficient and bird-friendly—and setting live traps and actually checking them from time to time. One of our local Home Depot stores here in Norfolk, Virginia, (at PETA’s suggestion) plays a recording of frightened bird calls in the garden center as a warning to birds to stay away—and, for the most part, they do.

From time to time, PETA also gets reports of big-box stores that use glue traps to trap birds who wander in (in addition to selling the traps, as Lowe’s does). If you ever see birds flying around inside a store, ask to speak to the manager and find out what methods the store uses to remove and deter birds. If you suspect cruelty, alert your local humane society or animal control, or call PETA.

Written by Alisa Mullins

Comments

• Gomez says:

Just came from a Walmart in downtown Salt lake city on 13th south. Engaged an assistant manager regaurding the 34’s of an inch of water their Betta’s were existing in. I was shocked at her dismissive could care less attitude. Remarking that the fish are sold or they just die. I promptly called her supervisor who was polite but seemed to have the same poor regaurd for the Fish. Why is a living organism treated so poorly just because its species does not happen to be Human?

• Veronica says:

wow next time I go to walmart Im going to be sure to look around for birds.

• Jordie Knisely says:

Our Wal Mart in Fairlawn VA was constructed over a green little area with a pond. When all the geese came back the next year to lay their eggs they found a parking lot and we all hit by cars. Also one time I was in a store and one of the cashiers was talking about a hummingbird flying around the store. It had been in there for days. Hummingbirds use an incredible amount of energy to fly so it was quickly dying. I took a shirt of a rack and found the little guy in a shoe in the shoe section. I gently scooped him up and took him to my car and put lemonade in my hand so he could drink with his little skinny tongue. He revived and I let him go next to a bunch of flowers.

• Frankie says:

All I can say is I hate walmart.. they are leader of sweat shops too blah i try my hardest to NEVER shop there.. NEVER.. people should watch movies about walmart they started the whole business manufactures to ship over sees inform yourself people

• Isak says:

I think that is sick.. And Glue Traps? What are people thinking now these days.. This is inhumane. Im 14 but I actually asked one shop here In Sweden who often have birds flying into it in summer time how they do to get rid of the birds. And they actually didnt use any way to get rid of them with traps they just tried to ‘scare’ them out. I told him that maybe its better if he dont scare them and I also told him to read this. Now I know he use a way animal friendly way to help the birds stay out in the fresh air where they belong and not inside a building .

• Ran James says:

walmart is brutal for this kind of thing. ever walk through the “socalled” aquarium area where they sell fish? there is ALWAYS dead fish floating and fish that are barley alive. its sad that they get away with that.

• Kelley says:

In smaller stores turning off all indoor lights and opening the doors usually does the trick…

• associate says:

They don’t use traps at the walmart I work at. They call someone in to catch and release the birds. The other day an associate caught one by hand in the break room and released the little guy outside. Not all walmarts are cruel.

• Canaduck says:

That’s so horrible. WalMart treats both animals and people so disgustingly.