Vivisector of the Week!

Written by PETA | October 19, 2007

Well, we took a week off last week ’cuz, to be frank, researching these people can really ruin my Fridays sometimes—and if there was ever a man who could suck all the fun out of your weekend, it’s our latest winner (by a margin of 15-1!), Hagai Bergman, who enjoys romantic movies, long walks on the beach, and drilling holes into monkeys’ brains while they scream for mercy.

While Hagai shuffles into his rightful place as this week’s Vilest Vivisector, it’s time to turn our attention to the new blood. This week, we’ve got two researchers for you from the Yerkes Center at Emory University who are studying the psychology of despair the only way they know how … by inflicting it! So here it is—a PETA Files exclusive sneak peek into the very darkest reaches of two twisted human souls … it’s time to cast your vote for the next Vivisector of the Week!

Stuart Zola, Emory University.

Emory/Creative Commons
Stuart_Zola.jpg

For the past 3 years, Stuart Zola, who is the director of Emory’s Yerkes Primate Research Center, has been refining his theories about what makes baby monkeys suffer the most. He’s tried slicing into their brains, and he’s tried tying them to restraint chairs for hours on end. He’s even spent some of the $2.2 million in taxpayer money he’s received for these experiments to turn the young primates into drug addicts in the hopes of finding out whether drug-addiction has adverse effects on the memory (yes, Stuart, it does). But Zola’s curiosity about early-life trauma in monkeys knows no bounds! If you’d like to see this relentless dedication to sadism given its due, be sure to cast your vote for Stuart Zola now!

Maria Sanchez, Emory University.

Emory/Creative Commons
Maria_del_Mar_Sanchez.jpg

Maria del Mar Sanchez has the dubious honor of being our first female candidate for Vivisector of the Week, and—doubtless mindful of the weighty implications that this carries for her gender—she’s gone out of her way to show that natural compassion and maternal instincts mean absolutely nothing to her. A mother herself, Sanchez conducts experiments in which infant primates are taken from their mothers again and again, giving rise to extreme depression in the monkeys. Baby monkeys taken from their mothers are so desperate that they will cry out more than 200 times in 30 minutes. To elect our very first female Vivisector of the Week, cast your vote for Maria Sanchez!

Will Mrs. Sanchez’s diabolical role as a parent who has devoted her life to wrenching infants from their mothers be enough to edge out the sadistic brain butcher Stuart Zola? Find out next week* when we crown the very latest Vivisector of the Week!

*The PETA Files cannot guarantee that they will remember to do this next week.

Comments

• elgin lee baker says:

i am saddened by these people ….please contact their employers and let them know that you think this is sick and needs to stop ……….again as always boycott those that promote this and let others know

• pam Dake says:

these guys are so SICK they will get theirs I believe in an EYE for An Eye I also believe animals are kids with fur!!!! they also Gods creatures

• Joanna Siokou says:

The World is full of these Frankestein doctors. How we can stop these Monsters who are killing innocent creatures for a useless purpose? Perhaps they should suffer also some “vivisection”. That is Justice I think!

• Christine says:

They should thank GOD we don’t do what they do to ugly peoplebecause they would be the first to go! It makes me soooo mad that we can’t stop this.Why is it acceptable?God help us

• Emily says:

What are they studying and trying to ‘discover’? WHY are they performing these experiments?

• Victor says:

This is why i am as active in animal rights as possible. This quote motivates me every day. “All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

• Maureen says:

If you cannot imagine doing those horrible experiments on your children you should not do them to defenseless animals who have no choice in the matter. Both of these subhuman degenerates get my vote for first place. Frank Conley gets second place for being an enabling asshole.

• Stacey Picolo says:

How cruel absurd!!! Why is this going on for what purpose? These men are sick!

• diane says:

i will second that emily.

• Emily says:

pass me a drill and some steel coils and give me 5 minutes with these cold hearted fucks…

• daylight 365 says:

Let them experiment upon Frank Conly. In French Frank Conly means literally Pure Stupidity. I am according to FC just a lowly FrenchEnglish teacher. It’s gruesome enough reading about the 2 madcap scientists but then to read a letter from someone who seems to enjoy goading them on is fathomless. I didn’t know humanity could sink so low. He and I are not of the same species. I feel closer to dolphins sheep dogs pigs. Anything but “un franc con” stein.

• rojo says:

Keith at 79 heart attack is a real killer.

• Anonymous says:

That’s where our hardearned tax payers money goes. These two are sick and should be condemned to hell. I would like to torture them as they have done to the poor innocent animals. I would have no remorse.

• Lori says:

These two disgusting morons are obviously scientists who are not intelligent enough to come up with an alternative to antiquated and cruel animal experimentation. What comes around goes around. I shudder to think that these they go home to families with that blood on their hands every night. May their careers crash and burn.

• Elizabeth Janiszewski says:

I do hope both these men will receive the same publicity that was given to that socalled sportsman who abused his dogs and they are shown up for what they are. InAustralia wqe have much the same sort of disgusting cruelty in labs.but these are hard to beat.

• Andi says:

This is really a tough call. After much deliberation I’m going to have to go with Dave the Monkey Torturer. Inserting metal springs in an animal’s eyeballs is just so totally innovative I can only shudder with anticipation at all the great cures that will surely come out of this important procedure. Then again they both have such nice smiles and pleasing facial expressions. But wait a minute isn’t that a telltale sign of a true sociopath? “One who appears outwardly charming but on the inside is covertly hostile and domineering seeing their victims as merely instruments to be used dominated and humilated…” In other words outwardly normal in appearance but in reality has no conscience soul or capacity for empathy? On second thought may both of them equally burn in Hell.

• Ana says:

Frank Conley Speak for yourself I do have one in history. Irregardless of any degrees that doesn’t give license to anyone to torture the other animals all in the name of “science”. Vivisection should be ABOLISHED!!! It should be ABOLISHED now. Vivisection is not science it is sadists carrying on their violent gruesome and demonic activities behind closed doors.

• one more blame says:

how many centuries shall it take until we get rid of such a bunch of nogooders!?

• keith says:

Rojo you are correct about Barnard he used countless pigs and dogs in Heart Experimentation. only to die of a Heart Attack Himself .. divine justice ” Mia.”

• rojo says:

Mia I don’t know what you read but Dr Barnard did not disregard animal experiments and is on the record defending them. He did have cause for reflection though when a monkey mourned it’s lost friend. He vowed not to use such “sensitive animals” again. I’m not sure how he then defined sensitive.

• Anna says:

I am just wondering if these two scientist will be willing to subject themselves to some kind of hineous experiment for so called goodness of mankind.

• Patricia Panitz says:

To Frank Conley Being a scientist and having a PhD does not give you license to do anything you want especially if it involves torturing other living beings. Science would be well served by eliminating its unspoken creed that torture is acceptable.

• diane says:

people who choose to inflict pain on a healthy animal truly are the scum of the earth. what goes around comes around they should be locked up like anyone elts who chooses to torture animals theres no excuse.

• Laura Kozak says:

My brother went to UIUC and I’m disgusted to know that my family’s money went to this sick cause.

• Steve says:

Gee I thought Frank Conley was tossing us a joke. If not Frank be advised that I do have a Ph.D. in biology and that I am finding it difficult to decide who to vote for. I am leaning toward George Fahey because of the sheer idiocy of lab testing dog food. What don’t we know about canine nutrition that we need to torture dogs to find out how good the food is? When a chef prepares a new meal in a fancy restaurant should he be vivesecting his patrons to see if the new dish is palatable? Hmmm. But it is hard to vote against steel coils in eyeballs for whatever reason. So it’s still a split decision.

• Erica says:

As a university professor in the social sciences and a veganactivist it is sad to see how people like Maureen blindly trust someone just because they are a scientist with a Ph.D. Throughout American history medical doctors and scientists have performed heinous acts against people in the name of science such as the Tuskegee Syphillis experiment. Unfortunately cruelty and ignorance do not disappear just because someone earns a degree.

• Tamela Nix says:

On Saturday September 8th I was watching Dan Miller a local news man in Nashville interview Nashville Mayorial candidate Bob Clement. Mr. Clement was talking about his love for animals and that at one time he started with twi guinea pigs and ended up with 150 which he donated to Vanderbilt. Vanderbilt is known for its animal testing so I feel sure these guinea pigs were not made into pets but submitted to the torture and ultimate death of animal testing! I am not sure what Mr. Clements views on animal rights are but I do know he will NOT be getting my vote on election day! Nashville does not need a mayor that condones animal testing which is animal torture!!!

• Judith, Freedom Fighter says:

I feel something or someone may try to stop these monsters. I feel it in my Buddhist Bones. All beings tremble before violence All fear death All love life The Buddha

• emma says:

Frank Conley these men are torturing animals. I dont give two fucks how “intellegent” you think they are they are disgusting. At least activist are doing something valuable with their time

• Mia says:

I read something interesting in a medical journal today. Dr. Chris Barnard the world famous South African surgeon who conducted the very first successful human heart transplant had a total disregard for animal experiments saying that it is of little use to humans.

• sherri says:

I have to hand it to peta for allowing some of the ignorant comments such as Frank Conley who thinks he knows everyones background and also thinks he knows about the people commenting on this blog. I actually am surprised some of them are allowed but at least it shows that peta lets people have their say even if the person making them has no facts to back them up. ok peta you are starting to win me over I’m slowly thinking I may become a member soon. Back to the blog I have to wonder what type of person it takes to do the sort of things these two are doing. How does a person get to a state of mind that they could even do that? I don’t understand but I honestly don’t think I want to either.

• kris shulfer says:

of course the government will fund such crazy antics but they wont bring home my family that is over in iraq. fuck george bush and fuck these idiots who put these animals thru such pain for what?? no scientific reason will sit well with me!!!

• keith says:

Folks I fear that age is crippling my positive thoughts. Some thirty years plus have I been involved with Animal Rights and have lost count of the $’s given in charitable good faith. only to keep seeing the smiling faces of devils like Waitzman Fahey keep appearing ! how many more of this specis are waiting in the wings to torture for no ethical reason in helping humanity. Now we have the prospect of the Luther Family who control Smithfield meats pumping millions of $’s into China. for more abuse. And as for you Frank Conley turn your brain in for Medical Research your a ” Waste Of SPACE !!!! on this Planet Earth.

• Lord of the Apes says:

Frank Conley obviously you are not a scientist and not very enlightened too! if you were you would know that many of us here have degrees and animal torture is never scientific! condoning such miserable despisable activities shows a lowlife character i’m sorry!

• deb says:

Should not these mad “scientist” being sharing the headlines with Michael Vick?!

• Niranjan says:

Shame on them!

• Frank Conley says:

Get a grip people these guys are SCIENTISTS. Unlike you activists few of whom have Ph.D.s in anything more impressive than hippie tofu smoking.

• Maureen says:

I am finding it hard to vote after all scum is scum by any other name.

• mino says:

these offenders should be gridlocked! society does not need them!

• Don Quijote says:

Human dignity begins to assert itself only at the point where man is distinguishable from the animal by pity for it. Richard Wagner We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals. Immanuel Kant If a man aspires towards a righteous life his first act of abstinence is from injury to animals. Leo Tolstoi It is man’s sympathy with all creatures that first makes him truly a man! Dr. Albert Schweitzer The greatness of a nation and it’s moral progress can be judged by the way it’s animals are treated! Mahatma Gandhi

• captain nemo says:

from which kind of a black hole did this freak find his way into our universe? may he go to hell where he comes from!

• Santino Roccaforte says:

I ask myself if this number one in torture finds a woman! i cannot imagine a woman spending one night with this hellbound scoundrel!

• animalfriend says:

these frankensteindisciples we got also in europe! but we got enough rascal states funding them!

• Ana says:

kelly Both of your comments are right on target. But the American government that funds this abomination which is vivsectionwith monies gotten from taxpayers is also to blame. This is so shameful and I question the intelligence of anyone who could be so cruel and perform such violent and stupid actsprocedures on defenseless animals. In videos I have seen these lowlifes laughing at the creatures’ pain!!! What these sadists do is indefensible! Despicable!

• little big woman says:

it’s really bad when sick monsters want to play GOD! you rascal can you give one life back? instead of searching your fortune in tortured monkeys heads give me my dead mother back! you heartcrippled hideous freak!!!

• kelly says:

And if anyone think that a degree or a stack of degrees indicates high intelligence or quality they are sadly mistaken!

• sherri says:

I simply could not do this. How can a person sleep at night doing this sort of thing?

• kelly says:

The universities are full of disturbed backwards people who could never function in private industry or the big world. They hide out at these schools wasting effort and money on useless repetitive nonsense that teaches humanity nothing. Why? Because they make money get grants get tenure inflate their sick egos. Meanwhile they could be developing more advanced tests that could really help humanity. But they don’t because it is easier to sit around and practice outdated Victorian science. Quality control among university staff is practically nil.

• Sacred Cause says:

People like these are sadistic insane criminals which deserve to be eliminated and shame on a state which is funding them!

• Jaclyn says:

Uhh… disgusting. Both of them are sick. Sometimes this stuff is so gruesome It is shameful to believe that we humans could ever participate in such activities. Both of these men are disgusting.