Victory! Texas Tech Drops Cruel Cat Lab

Written by PETA | December 29, 2009
static.squidoo / CC
cats

A few weeks ago, we were thrilled to report that Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center (TTUHSC) agreed to stop using homeless cats obtained from Odessa Animal Control in deadly medical training exercises, but we weren’t sure whether or not Texas Tech had abandoned the practice of shoving plastic tubes down the throats of cats altogether. Well, now it’s official: News reports confirm that TTUHSC will no longer use cats for this training! I’m sure our rejected newspaper ads and celebrity support played a big part in securing this towering triumph, but the victory really belongs to the more than 30,000 (!) compassionate people who took action against TTUHSC.

With 2010 fast approaching, we’ve got a lot to celebrate, but there are still countless animals who are being tortured and killed in experiments. Let’s start the New Year by riding on the wave of our TTUHSC success and bringing the same support to the more than two dozen monkeys whom NASA intends to torture by exposing them to massive doses of dangerous radiation. Urge NASA to cancel its cruel plans and instead direct its funds to humane methods of scientific inquiry. Here’s to starting 2010 with another victory!

Written by Logan Scherer

Comments

• Peggy Lovick says:

I am so happy that there is victory for the petitions we sign! It mwans that IT DOES WORK AND WE ARE NOT WASTING OUR TIME! THank God for Texas TEch seeing the point of ceuelty and I hope it never returns to these techniques ever again! NO animal should suffer like those cats did!

• Riley says:

Thank you PETA for all you do. Either animals are so like us that experimenting on them would go against humanity or they are so different from us therefore to test on them useless. I cannot believe that everybody is not in this fight together. Where is America’s mind? We have won many battles but we need to win the war. Keep fighting we love yall.

• Rola says:

Seriously i don’t know how anybody do such horrible things on defendless hopeless weak creatures i think peta should not only stop this cruelty but also should put these hedious evil people behind bars and make them pay for it and pay lots of money for wat they did because when it comes to money these greedy sick people will definatelly stop doing this!

• Carol C says:

I AM SO HAPPY FOR THESE POOR BABIES!!!!!

• Rhea Preston says:

That is wonderful news!!! Peace.

• Helen says:

Thank God!!!!!!!!!!!

• hafsa muhammad says:

Wonderful news.Cats are my favorite pets. They like all other animals should not be used in scientific experiments.

• Lisa says:

I agree with Laurie’s comment on Dec 29th…….get rid of the losers who are breathing our air and eating up our tax dollars! If you want to know how a product reacts on a human our jails are overrun with these scum.

• Jennifer G says:

Thank God Peta! It broke my heart when I read that original alert. I’m so glad it’s been stopped. Makes my day to hear this great news!

• Carole Edmonds says:

What a wonderful victory!!! Now until all cages are empty..go vegan!

• chander kumar soni says:

i liked it too much.

• Ellie McCaffrey says:

Power to the people.

• Donna Usilton says:

That’s great! I was so upset by reading this before. The poor little animals have no say in their life and what happens to it. It’s very sad and it’s too bad that people can’t suffer the same consequences that these lovely animals suffer to. God did not put these on our earth to be cruel they are to be loved. My cat is just like a person and is certainly a family member. We need to stop the craziness one place at a time. Take care and Happy New Year to PETA and it’s followers! Donna

• Anne Greene says:

Texas Tech is no longer using homeless cats but will they use other animals or cats bred for experimentation instead?

• BRIDGET. Y. says:

I am so happy as well. I am outraged on any animal abuse. I love animals and donate as much as possible. People sometimes make me sick that they can do this to a poor animal. Maybe we should do testing on people who abuse animals as a punishment for them to see how it feels to be lab rats.

• kelly says:

“Cats should never be used for experiments and intubation courses as the anatomy AND PHYSIOLOGY is too far apart from a human it renders them useless test subjects even dangerous to gauge for “safety” when it comes to drugs and procedures. ” exactly why do they keep doing this garbage completely worthless and mind boggling whatever scientist agrees to hurt an animal is a complete monster.

• Lorraine O'Connor says:

In 1976 several of my city’s Humane Society volunteers and I decided to make a fuss about a newly opened “pet store” inside of a shopping mall. I admit we may have been a tad gregarious in our loud opinions of why shelter pets are better than the sad little sickly creatures being sold at exorbitant prices in their store. We only lasted about 10 minutes b4 we were asked to leave the store. LOL So we stood outside of the store and chatted with people who had intended to go inside to see what the new addition in the mall had to offer. And of course always getting in our pitch for shelter pet adoptions!! The erstwhile “pet store” didn’t last long apparently it just didn’t fit into the chic modern indoor Mall. Very new at that time Don’t know about other states but I am proud of my home state of Wisconsin…our Governor signed into law a bill requiring stricter licensing limits on use et al and more inspections of tadah! Puppy mills. We have 50 states in our Republic I’d like to see PETA keeping track of other states who have tightened stricter LAWs regarding how those despicable puppy mills are run.

• Roxy says:

Awesome news! What a great way to start 2010. Here’s hoping for many many more victories for our animal friends.

• ANNE MARY says:

I am so glad they should be happy as well.

• Steve K. says:

Awesome! Way to go PETA and everyone who sent letters to Texas Tech. Thanks to PETA we CAN make a difference! Keep fighting for the animals!

• Pat Stallings says:

Thank God for PETA. Continue to press on for strength and hope for God’s precious creatures. ‘KEEPING MARCHING ON PETA!!!!!!

• stephanie says:

thats awsome!!!! you know what they should do to the people who were testing on the animals we should put them in a human testing lab and see how the like it! HAHAHAHAHAHAH

• Anne Birthistle says:

“It is kindness I want not animal sacrifices.” Jesus Christ Christian or not this is all we neeed to know….. thank you Peta and friends!!!!

• bribri says:

that’s wonderful! im so happy. on to the next!

• Pam says:

I can breath just knowing that no more Odessa shelter cats or homeless cats are subjected to this torture! I have been petitioning Texas Tech Univ Science Dept for months and months!!! THANK GOD WHAT A VICTORY!

• Leopoldo Arias Trejo says:

I’m appalled by what Government Industry and Entertainment people are doing to animals. I must confess I feel guilty because I didn’t know until I found PETA on the Internet. Now I even feel sorry for caged birds but can’t do much to free them as people are stubborn and won’t listen! This is nothing but ANIMAL SLAVERY. Elementary and high school students that are taught on HUMAN SLAVERY should also be taught to understand this. Can PETA do something to convince the Department of Education to include this in classes? Also PETA When are you opening branches in Mexico? Animals here are greatly abused and us Animal Lovers can’t do much on account of mostly ignorant corrupt politicians who just don’t care!! Here cockfights bullfights and “charrerias” Mexican Rodeos openly show Legal Animal Abuse. By the way have you ever noticed that the U.N. BUREUACRATS ALSO DON’T CARE!! Lastly PETA could you also get PAYPAL to join in or make Donations? Thanks The information though Disturbing is ThoughtProvoking.

• karen wall says:

That is totally AWESOME especially since I am an alumni of Texas TEch AND the biology deparment.

• Elie says:

Wonderful news! No such thing should ever have taken place but our predecessors were not perfect and from here on let us unite and be the human beings we were all meant to be loving compasionate helpful understanding honest kind generous forgiving.

• Julia says:

VIctory for animals everywhere!…I am glad these little kitties have the chance to be adoptedinto a loving and warm home! KITTY POWER

• ewen says:

thank you! they are wonderful creatures. i hope more and more people will be able to open their eyes to such angels. thanks PETA

• Jackie says:

I agree Joyce thank God! It’s still unbelivable that they did this in the first place. Reminds me of watching Philosphy of a Knife and seeing them experiment on children. Philosophy of a Knife is an extremely upsetting disturbing film based on the real events that took place at Unit 731 in Japan. I’m saying this so if you decide to look up the film you understand what you’re getting into.

• carla says:

Love Love Love you Peta! Your simply the best! x

• Luke Thomas says:

Cats should never be used for experiments and intubation courses as the anatomy AND PHYSIOLOGY is too far apart from a human it renders them useless test subjects even dangerous to gauge for “safety” when it comes to drugs and procedures. The following foods can be FATAL to your dog also cats RAISINS GRAPES ONIONS COCOA CHOCOLATE MACADAMIA NUTS Written by Laurinda Morris DVM Danville Veterinary Clinic Danville OH “Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or grapes could be toxic. Many people I know give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats including our exhandler ‘ s. Any exposure should give rise to immediate concern. Onions chocolate cocoa and macadamia nuts can be fatal too.” Also see httpwww.animalpetsandfriends.comArticle25HumanFoodsToxicToDogs300 httpcats.about.comcscatfoodahumanfood.htm Based on this HOW on earth can you find it safe to test on these animals. NO WAY!

• jaja says:

Thank God.Thanks PETA.now I can give my teary eyes a rest..

• joyce low says:

at lease they stop using homeless cats obtained from Odessa Animal Control in deadly medical training exercises…. TQ PETA and who was agree and take action to protect animals…i love u all god bless u!

• Leopoldo Arias Trejo says:

Time for PETA to address Congress for a nationwide ban on such experiments with cats and other animals! Other Causes have been heard. Why not this one? Sincerely Leo.

• Reesa says:

I am a TTU graduate and I was horrified!!! I am so glad and thankful they have stopped this horrific cruelty!

• vegancoin says:

this is good news i’m glad this cruelty has ended.

• Cindy says:

This is GREAT news I’m thrilled. D I’m so thankful that you guys are out there trying to make a difference. Like Sandy said I hope this means they’ll stop completely won’t try to do it in secret. I’m just wondering if this is still legal in other states!? This is terrible should be stopped everywhere

• Brien Comerford says:

Any animal welfare victory in Texas is momentous and encouraging !

• skYELEktrA says:

Hope that Texas Tech will understand TIME IS TO STOP all kind of cruelty on animals.

• Susan says:

I am very happy to hear that Texas Tech has stopped using cats in cruel and tortured will end and wish that all University Tech schools colleges and labs will follow this great example not only for cats but for all animals. After all everything great and small is God’s great gift and was not meant for our abuse or use in this manner.

• Sue Trayling says:

Hooray!!!

• george says:

that is great news im so happy

• Sandy Fox says:

Hope that means they won’t experiment on ANY cats now

• Christina M. Corter says:

They’re so adorable. I’m so happy these animals won’t be tortured. Wonderful news that Texas Tech stopped this cruelty.

• Susan says:

This is fantastic news! Experimentation on animals can NEVER be justifide.

• Laurie says:

Keep me wondered how they do dare to animals ?.. my mind popped why not they use person in jail who never be free. Waste our taxes dollars on prison people sucker life get rid of them once save our money taxes. they can tell how pain speak out than animal cant speak out ..

• Göz says:

That’s just great! Thanks Peta! Happiest news of the week!

• vegan says:

great news! I’m so happy for these angels go vegan! thank ya guys for wot u do for da animals they need u and u’ll always there for em you’re great ppl it’s thanks to ya’ll that these animals won’t suffer anymore you’re saving lives that’s wonderful