Victory: Gap and Levi’s Pledge Never to Use Apes in Ads

Written by PETA | May 4, 2009

cryptomundo / CC
Ape

I hope your closets are prepared, because I’m sure this bit of news will have you rushing out to stock up on vegan sweaters and skinny jeans. Both Levi’s and Gap Inc. have pledged not to use great apes in future advertising campaigns!

Following the tragic death of Travis, a chimpanzee who formerly starred in Old Navy commercials, PETA approached Levi’s and Old Navy’s parent company, Gap Inc. (which also owns Gap and Banana Republic), to ask the companies not use apes in any future ads. Executives for both companies knew that their choice was clear once they learned that young apes who are used in commercials are ripped away from their mothers when they are only days old, trained by being beaten, kicked, and punched, and then discarded to live in filthy roadside zoos when they are too old and strong to handle.

Gap Inc. and Levi’s join other progressive companies and organizations that have also signed our pledge, including Harris Teeter, SEGA, Honda, PUMA, Subaru, Keds, Yahoo!, and The Ad Council.

And, because we are never ones to let compassionate acts go unrewarded, we are sending both companies thank-you gifts for a job well done.

Written by Shawna Flavell

Comments

• Sarah says:

The use of apes in commercials would decline if art directors and copywriters just realized how like us they are. Would they allow their children to be treated in this way? I think not!

• will says:

That’s great news! I just saw the preview for the new Night at the Museum movie and they use a lot of animatronics. Unfortunately they also use some live monkeys. And could someone please get Alec Baldwin to stop allowing monkeys to be used on 30 Rock. As producer and star I am befuddled as to why they used live monkeys as he is such a Peta supporter it sends a horrible message.

• brandie says:

with so much technology around one would think that companies with so much money could use a diff means to advertise their products. instead of using animals.

• Rev. Meg Schramm says:

Now if we could just get Kraft to stop using exotic animals in their advertising…I am driving my husband crazy by checking labels in the supermarket to see if Kraft makes or distributes what he just threw in the cart…and if I see that name anywhere on the package I put it back on the shelf. I have written to Kraft advising them that until those commericals are off the air and they have contacted PETA about their intent never to use exotic animals in their advertising again I am no longer purchasing their products.

• Shelly says:

YAY Gap and Levi’s! YOU ROCK! Thank you and yes I see a shopping trip in my future!

• Amanda says:

That’s a start…what about their use of child laborers?

• carla says:

Smart Companies. Now come on the rest of you.. join in!