Victory! Angel’s Gate Founder Charged

Written by Michelle Kretzer | May 15, 2012

Update: On May 15, 2012, officials filed 17 additional charges of cruelty to animals against Susan Marino, based on evidence gathered as a result of PETA’s undercover investigation. Animals like Tuxie—the cat whose gaping neck and head wound Marino picked at and who, PETA learned, died last fall after suffering terribly for many months—will finally be granted a chance at justice. Marino now faces a total of 22 cruelty charges as well as a drug-related charge.

The Delaware County, New York, District Attorney’s Office has filed charges of cruelty to animals as well as a drug-related charge against Susan Marino, the woman responsible for the horrific suffering of hundreds of animals at Angel’s Gate, Inc., which she founded, operates, and dares to call “a hospice and rehabilitation center.”

PETA’s investigation of this hellhole exposed the daily neglect and terrible suffering of disabled, elderly, and ailing animals, many of whom had been shipped to Marino by well-meaning but severely uninformed individuals and agencies, including the New York Center for Animal Care and Control (NYCACC), which doomed Malcolm the Chihuahua and hundreds of other animals to die slowly at Angel’s Gate through its “New Hope” program.

PETA had provided the District Attorney with the evidence that our investigator gathered while volunteering at Angel’s Gate. Our investigator saw Marino allow animals to suffer, sometimes for weeks, from treatable conditions as well as terminal illnesses without providing veterinary care, medication, or pain relief. Paralyzed animals dragged themselves until they developed bloody ulcers. Animals developed urine scald after being left in soaked diapers for up to two days. Dehydrated animals were denied water, and others were forced to stay outside in freezing temperatures. The bodies of dead animals were left among those of the living for days.

While Marino has been charged, the nightmare is not over for the animals at Angel’s Gate, as they have not yet been seized. Please help us ensure their welfare and the safety of future victims by joining us in urging the New York State Attorney General to revoke Angel’s Gate‘s nonprofit status and ensure that the animals are removed from Marino’s custody. Please click here to send a letter to the Attorney General, and please, when your animal companions become elderly or ill, let them live out their final days with dignity in the comfort of their own homes, surrounded by their families, not at the mercy of a conniving stranger.

Comments

• Arlo says:

Don’t worry………..when they get to Hell…..I’ll be waiting!!!! I WILL NOT FORGET!!

• lil says:

WELL ITS ABOUT TIME SOMETHING WAS DONE ABOUT THIS CREEPY SELF CENTERED LYING MONEY GRABBING WOMAN WHO WAS SO ABUSIVE TO THESE POOR SICK OLD AND DYING ANIMALS … [text cut]!! IF I WAS A JUDGE OVER THIS CASE ID CRUSIFY HER TO NO END ! EVERYTIME I READ ABOUT SOME CREEP ABUSING ANIMALS THIS WAY IT REALLY PISSES ME OFF AND IF I COULD GET MY HANDS ON EM THEY WOULD GET THE ATTITUDE ADJUSTMENT FROM HELL !

RIGHT ON P.E.T.A. IM WITH YAS AND ALWAYS WILL BE ….

• Blake says:

Don’t worry, if we or the law don’t get this woman karma and God surely will! But when it comes to those who can’t defend or take care of themselves like these animals, people like us can make sure she damn well pays for what she has done and make sure it doesn’t happen again. If this happened to my pet I would make sure things were taken care of.

• carla says:

Not enough punishment for this scum…. seriously… this makes me enraged.. People like this should suffer big time!!!!

• Melissa Lopez says:

OMG thais sick! Those poor animals suffering! That woman must be psychotic! I was shocked at reading this. How could someone do that to defencless animals! What a evil woman she is!

• kAT says:

Humanity is sickening.. I hope a large asteroid crashes into earth and annihilates the entire human race.

• Amber Wasurick says:

I THINK THAT WAS DONE TO ALL OF THE ANIMALS SHALL BE DONE TO HER OVER AND OVER AGAIN AND SHOULD BURN IN HELL IN COMPLETE PAIN I AM VERY ASHAMED OF HER AND I THINK ANYONE WHO ABUSES AN ANIMAL I THINK WILL BURN IN HELL

• KAT says:

If you kill a human, perhaps he had is coming.. Why harm innocent and defenseless animals? When have animals ever wronged us?

• Jaime Perez says:

This woman needs to burn in hell. How can she even live with herself? These poor precious animals don’t deserve to be treated in this horrible manner. I don’t understand how anyone could let their old or sick animal go to someone else to die. They need to be kept home to pass with loved ones!

• glendalee says:

alll i really ask is for you guy to really save this animal i was just crying about it and that really hurt me alot

• Ronnie says:

THESE PEOPLE NEED TO BE SHOT RIGHT BETWEEN THE EYES WITH THE SAME METHODS THEY USE ON POOR CATTLE! I HAVE NO MERCY FOR PEOPLE LIKE THIS! IF IT WERE UP TO ME, THEY’D BE GRAGGED TO THE LANDFILL AND SHOT! PLAIN & SIMPLE!

• Maribeth Hendrickson says:

Thank you, PETA, for exposing this barbaric situation, and for all the other investigative work that you do to bring to public attention the unimaginable suffering of so many helpless animals. Please continue to do this invaluable work, and please, those who care, support PETA with donations so that this valiant organization can stay powerful and effective.

• Judy Boone -p[ says:

People like this deserve punishment that is illegal I do not think any horrible punishment is enough !!

• All animals matter says:

NO animal deserves to be treated like this!! Im frigging balling my eyes out right now from watching that video, it shatters my heart cuz i love animals and have rescued all of the animals I’ve ever had. (4cats and 2 dogs) for people who abuse and/or neglect animals they are not human to me. they are the ones who truly deserve to be treated like shit. theres a special place in Hell for those people. just like the monster mike vick, those humans are the ones who should be put down. they don’t deserve life. if i ever saw someone treating an animal badly, id make sure i taught them a real life lesson they’d never forget!

• Julie Ritson says:

I am disgusted with the cruelty to these animals what is going on and why is this going on? Why are people being so cruel to animals it is terrible, if it wasn’t for these recue groups it would go on without anybody knowing about it poor animals it breaks my heart to think of them suffering like this these people should get severe punishment. I didn’t watch the video as I can’t stand seeing animals suffer.

• TERRI says:

I DON’T UNDERSTAND, NOR DO I WANT TO, HOW PEOPLE CAN LET THESE ANIMALS SUFFER…..  IT IS SO SAD, WE NEED GOOD CARING PEOPLE TO HELP…

• chander kumar soni says:

thanks god for this victory.

• Shirley Toma says:

This woman and others like her must be stopped immediately. There is no reason to let poor innocent animals suffer like this. People need to investigate organizations personally before they turn their helpless animals over to them.

• Sam Flores says:

The laws for animal cruelty need to be STRONGER!!!

• Christine Thurner says:

After I had seen this very sad and terrible video where animals were suffering without any reasonable reason, I can honestly say, that I am disgusted by this hospice, but especially their people! I am so glad that they are now arrested and behind bars! They should never be allowed ever again to run an animal hospice! That would be criminal towards the poor animals who are the victims of that! Christine Thurner/Belgium

• Florence Thompson says:

PEOPLE THAT MISTREAT ANIMALS BELONG BEHIND BARS FOR THE REST OF THERE LIVES. MY HEART GOES OUT TO THESE POOR ANIMALS. I WISH I HAD THE POWER TO DO SOMETHING TO MAKE THEM SAFE AND GIVE THEM A BETTER LIFE. PUT THIS WOMAN AND ALL PEOPLE LIKE HER IN JAIL AND NEVER LET THEM OUT AND TREAT THEM THE WAY THEY TREATED THE ANIMALS.

• Sassafrass says:

It is so disheartening to learn that such cruelty still exists in a country that is deemed to be educated, advanced, and a leader amongst nations. This is behavior you would expect from a third world country! Sadly, until the “majority” is on board with seeing animals as something more than property, it will be an uphill battle to protect those that are so innocent and vulnerable. Thank God for organizations like PETA who are willing to expose these horrendous organizations and acts and seek justice for the innocent. I pray Karma will have its revenge. Treat all other living creatures as you would want them to treat you, for you never know what the next life may bring.

• Rog says:

Anyone who can treat animals so badly should be beaten to within an inch of their worthless life.

• Grant says:

I stand by punishment for people who commit these crimes against any living things on the planet.

• Kam says:

This woman (if you can call her that) needs psychiatric assessments and then put in jail and fined. The money should then be used to treat the poor animals left behind in her vile horrific place. Unfortunately; in life you get these types of psychopaths who enjoy inflicting pain on defenceless creatures/humans. Makes me sick to the stomach what she did to them.. Thanks to organisations like PETA we can at least help and liberate the animals that have a chance of survival!

• Virginia Greenwood-Warner says:

Please never let this woman have anything to do with even just 1 animal. What a despicable creature she is. How anyone can treat innocent animals like this is absolutely unbelievable. Hope she burns in hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Imagine for 1 second what the animals went through!!!!

• Sylvia Balsemin says:

Horrific, Jail her/him for who has no voice to difend himself!

• Sylvia Balsemin says:

Horrific, Jail her/him for who has no voice to difend himself!

• SUE KREMER says:

i almost can’t take another one of these stories about abuse and suffering of poor innocent animals. these animals are our family, how can we let them suffer like this? how can humans let anything suffer like this? we are to blame and we are the only ones who can change it and make it better. please help end the unnessesary suffering and pain of these creatures of God.

• D-R says:

Lord have mercy. I’m glad they got this person.

• Karen Barry says:

I can’t watch another horror movie, of animal torture and murder.!!!!! I AM SICK OF THIS GOING ON.!!!!! WHERE THESE MORONS, RAISED WITH OUT PARENTS.!!!!! THEY ARE RAVING SADISTIC KILLERS PLAIN AND SIMPLE.!!!! WE NEED MUCH STIFFER PUNISHMENTS, THAN WE HAND OUT NOW.!!!!!! MAYBE IF PEOPLE GOT A LIFE SENTENCE FOR HURTING HUMANS AND ANIMALS, SOME OF THIS WOULD STOP.!!!!!1 WHAT A BUNCH OF COWARDS, PICK ON SOMETHING YOUR OWN SIZE, NOT HELPLESS, VOICELESS, INNOCENT ANIMALS.!!!!!!!

• Nicole DiBona says:

Please keep us posted and let us know if they start removing animals. My cat, Angel Face was given to Susan in April of 2010 bc he had Feline Leukemia. There was a back and forth with her via email bc she would not return my calls. I wanted to find out how my cat was. Since her and her assistants emails became nasty I wanted my cat back. It seems that the weekend we were shooting for the cat died. I don’t know if he did or not but I really loved him. He was a grey and white medium haired beautiful kitty. I would love to have him back if he is still up there. Thank you!

• Norene says:

Why did this Marino person start this organization? So that she could watch the suffering of these animals first hand? This is unbelievable and heart wrenching. Where is she? I would like to meet her, just for a few minutes.

• margarita c says:

Thank you for protecting our angels, our animals. Humans need to protect the most vulnerable from humans. Legislation has come a long ways passing laws, but lots more are needed & enforcing the laws is also a must. thank you again PETA.

• Linda An says:

Please give this woman all she deserves. Take away her nonprofit status, take the poor animals away from her, and charge her with the strongest charges possible. This woman is a monster and deserves to have done to her as she has done to all the animals over the years.

• farinaz farahpour says:

thanks

• Tilly Flop says:

Thank you PETA for your perseverance in bringing this vile woman to justice. I hope they lock her up & throw away the key !!!

• pauline moore says:

PUT THIS PERSON IN PRISON AND NOW!

• Marysal Knox says:

WE NEED TO GET THE ANIMALS OUT OF THERE NOW AND TO RESCUES. THANKS PETA.

• Carol says:

I sat here crying my eyes out thinking of the pain these poor animals have gone through before they died. She showed off those animals as though she was proud of them and not the fact they were dying. Thank GOD she has been shut down and she will be going to prison but what ought to happen she should be treated the same as her animlas were and that is fact.

• tom moore says:

This person needs to be sent to prison and so heavily fined.

• DS says:

What needs to be done to get those animals out of there asap. What can we (I) do that might help get them out sooner from their suffering now. Is someone now monirtoring the treatment they are getting until they are removed from that hell. It is breaking my heart. There has to be something more we can do to get them moved to a better place.

• Ladypurr says:

To treat animals the way this woman is alleged to have treated them is not only a felony crime, but a sin against God. She deserves serious jail time and should be prohibited for the rest of her life of ever owning or caring for another animal again. How people can cause, or indifferently allow, an animal to suffer is something I’ll nver understand.

• Lindsey says:

This “person” must never be allowed animals again. These poor creatures need to be rescued out of that hell hole as soon as possible. Everyone PLEASE HELP THEM.

• Janice says:

For goodness sake – if I was one of these poor animals I would want to be put to sleep! The precious animals living in nothing more than a factory farm full of fear and pain. How dare they be allowed to die such a slow painful death. Where is the Veterinary/duty of care from those in charge?? How the hell do some people think they are “caring for the animals??”

• Linda Luke says:

Thank you PETA for all you do for Gods innocent and helpless creations that are loving, innocent and bring so much joy to good people!! I hope Susan Marino recieves no mercy in court and sentencing and that true justice is carried out! It can only be pure evil in someones heart to do such horrific things to animals and people. She should be greatful I’m not her judge or deciding her sentence because she would be in isolation til her last breath!

• Giulia says:

Finally, thank you Peta for all!

• Bridget Prunicki says:

Something should be done for hurt, sick, and injured animals who are living in bad conditions in a hospice or someone’s home. They should be able to see a veterinarian and be treated well and be treated with dignity in the veterinary hospital.

• rebeca ramirez says:

basta de crueldad!!!!!

• Tina Ladd says:

These sanctuaries need to be checked often and made sure they are clean. Also that employees are there and helping the pets. More supervision. It is outrageous this happened .People SHOULD NEVER dend a pet anywhere uless they have seen the environment.