Steve-O’s Gone Vegan

Written by PETA | September 11, 2009
Steve-O

When I first became involved with PETA, it was on an “issue-by-issue” basis—they interviewed me in my old apartment about animal abuse in the circus as I sat on a leather sofa. At that time I was a meat-eater and told them I believe that if anyone is going to wear the flesh or fur of an animal, they should at least have the decency to eat the meat of that animal. That comment led to my involvement in PETA’s “Rather Go Naked Than Wear Fur” campaign. The following year, I chose to stop eating meat (and stop wearing or purchasing anything made out of leather); however, citing reports that Jesus Christ fed lots of people with fish, I continued to eat fish. Most recently, for just over a month now, I’ve kept to a strictly vegan diet and I’ve not felt “hard-done-by” at all. I have been really enjoying making a project out of seeking out an extremely healthy diet of raw, organic, vegan foods—and I plan on continuing to do so.
—Steve-O

Visit his Web site to continue reading about why Steve-O chooses to work with PETA and the impact he’s making in the lives of animals.

Written by Shawna Flavell

Comments

• Val says:

he’s so cute hot! and he’s vegan perfect L

• kelsey Graves says:

Way to go steveo!! im sooo proud!

• lucy says:

I love you SO much Steveo! You’re my absolute hero. You’re an inspiration to everyone and I’m sure many will follow your lead keep at it and thank you for staying strong for the animals3

• Cono says:

Some of jackass’ stunts are indeed not totally “cruelty free”. But then again that was the pest. Lets look forward to the following jackass’ to see if he really has changed.

• Yasmine says:

SteveO you ‘Jackass’ guy how cool it is to hear you turned vegetarian actually vegan xD I’m not a ‘Jackass’ fan but still this is something that’s absolutely awesome! haha

• Karmah says:

You go boy!

• Jennifer says:

WOW! I am stunned and pleased beyond words. This type of ethical evolution can be a learning example for others not so easily persuaded to attempt veganism.

• Saucy says:

Has Christ not been blasphemed enough? How is it so difficult to understand that the Bible is full of lies and misrepresentations for profit and greed no more so then this idea of Christ eating meat or fish. Please read the forward of the King James IT IS NOT TRUE. If Christ is the MESSIAH HE WAS NOT A SPILLER OF BLOOD Do you not understand that that is a LIE FROM HELL? As the scripture goes Christ asked for BREAD to feed the croud…………..BREAD and was handed a fish by Peter the fishermen’s brother. Do you believe that Christ actually took that fish and fed the people? Or do you think Christ was a hack and didn’t know what he was saying or asking for? I don’t think so. I think Christ knew exactly what he wanted. Christ also said he had to talk to these people like they were babies because they were not ready to hear the truth. Come on people pray for discernment. It is a Gift of the Spirit it is your inheritance. Also in the Book of Revelation it is written about the WOE that is going to come down on the people who manipulated these sacred texts. And in Timothy it says the people will be led away from the truth because of the LIARS whose consciences are seared who don’t allow people to make love and permit them to eat certain foods. It is a reference to the Church and the powers that be folks.

• Elphaba says:

All this time I’ve thought I was alone in thinking SteveO is the hotness glad to learn I’m not. Yum!

• Michelle says:

Oh my goodiez! Steveo is super hot too! How amazing to find out that he has a heart of gold too! I have decided to becoma vegetarian and hope to work on becoming vegan. No meat for me of any kind or eggs. I will have a hard time with dairy products so I will try and limit my intake. Thank you for being so badass Steveo! I LOVE YOU HANDSOME!

• carla says:

Steve is a sexy! Men who hunt or abuse animals are not only NOT sexy but are also morons! Go Steve!!!!!

• Elphaba says:

Just out of curiosity Edward who peed in your Wheaties? Love that SteveO!

• Fawn says:

This is awesome!! Keep up the great work SteveO. Very impressed with your open minded aproach to a cruelty free lifestyle. Good on ya!!

• Hege Jenssen says:

I’m so god damn impressed!! Thanks SteveO this was the push I needed to start my Vegan life too.

• Kym Stokes says:

Go SteveO! I don’t like Jackass when they do stuff involving animals like chasing bulls or putting snakes in ballpits but I get a good laugh out of the humane stuff! Good on him! Now I like him more.

• mahlet alemu says:

GOOD FOR ALL OF US!!! WE NEED MORE SUPPORT…. D

• hutch says:

Good job steve! keep up the good work.

• Melanie says:

Hey Cindy do you live near a farm? if you do you should speak to a farmer about using their stalls to keep your cattle in. I’m sure they’d be willing to help.

• Carly says:

YAY! this makes me happy!

• Stephanie says:

To Cindy If you know you can’t afford to take care of those baby calves I would consider looking for a farm sanctuary. There are many sanctuaries rescues for “farm animals” all over the United States and probably in many other countries as well. Just google “farm sanctuaries” or “farm rescues” maybe google your state or country along with it and find one that will never sell or exploit the calves. I’m sure you will find one that will help you out! Consider giving them a nice donation as well.

• shannon says:

If I wasn’t in love with SteveO before I am now! I’m a vegetarian I don’t believe in wearing animals or leather purses! I do strive to be Vegan one day small steps to better my life. Rock on SteveO I see you in a new light

• paola serna says:

great congrats Steve

• Mabel says:

I heart him! xo SteveO

• aidan muldowney says:

glad to hear im not the only thirty something guy to go meat free.nice one.

• christina cho says:

this is the coolest thing i’ve heard in forever!!!!!!!!! makes me soooo happy!

• laura says:

good job steve

• Cindy says:

Great going steve OH yeah. Hey just watched a peta video on cow slaughter. I cant understand how humans can be so inhumane. Now I have a problem and i need advice suggestions or help. I temporarily adopted two calves whose mommy died. I became their mama and also became attatched. I cant give em back only to be slaughtered. I could buy them I have just enough landbut no building for the brutal winters. I cant afford to put up a building like everyone else doing time at work to get bills paid. How can I get a building so I can keep these baby cows as pets and save em from slaughter?

• Edward says:

What a manly shirt. Yes you can see the toughness just pouring out of him.

• Gina says:

I LOVE YOU STEVEO! You GO boy!

• k says:

Just shows you can’t judge a book by its cover! Steve O would have been the last person i would have thought to be compassionate. Makes me ashamed to think I can be so judgemental! Have loads of respect for him now… I’m sure he’ll inspire many more people that being a vegan can be cool. Wish more men were like him!!

• Francesca says:

Dear Team I’m a student at TASIS in england and as I’m a great fan of PETA I decided to do my Extended Essay on PETA ads. I would like to know if you have any source where I could find the first PETA advertisements or if there have been any changes between the first ads and the advertisements now. It would be such a great help as this essay will be send in for my diploma. Thank you! Francesca

• Tamra says:

SteveO is the coolest!!! I think his transformation is not unlike most people that were raised as meateaterscircuslovers but became aware of the cruelty with timeageinformation. I think his message can be HUGE for a whole generation of kids that look up to him!!

• Rev. Meg Schramm says:

Hello SteveO! First of all I have to tell youJackass is one of my guilty pleasures. The guys in my family sometimes do the kinds of stuff you do it’s great to be able to watch laugh at the results and not worry about the medical bills. Congratulations on going vegan it’s the best thing you will ever do for yourself. Once you get the hang of it meals are actually easier without meat. Oh about Jesus eating and feeding people fish…he did but you have to remember that most of the people in Judea at that time ate meat of any kind very rarely due to extreme poverty. If a person was not wealthy meat was on the menu only at passover. I remember Jesus getting in trouble for walking along a roadside picking and munching on raw wheat on the Sabbath because he and his diciples were hungry and that is what was available. God bless you and be careful when you do your stunts.

• Marci says:

Way to go SteveO!!!!!

• RogerThat says:

Fantastic SteveO! That’s an ethical evolution anyone would be proud of. Love your work and your sense of humor but now I really respect your values and that you saw this unfold and changed. Good stuff!

• sara says:

Go SteveO! D

• spooz says:

yay! i used to think you were great to watch on jackass but now i think you are awesome steveo! hugs hugs hugs!

• amy p says:

with as much access we have to meatsubstitutes and as much knowledge about alternative nutrient sources that we have in this day and age it shocks me that our need for a meat industry is still in such high demand in this “modern” society. shouldn’t we have moved past all that by now?? anyway i think it’s awesome when people in the public view step out like this and dare to do something a little different and maybe even slightly taboo. go steveo!!

• Jessica West says:

Way to go SteveO !

• simara says:

cool beanskeep it up

• Pamela Ernest says:

WOW! I’m so impressed Steve O is NOT a jackass!!

• Aneliese says:

Good for him! But the Jackass movies have some pretty bad scenes with animalsif anyone has seen the movies they will know what I am talking about.

• LA Vegan says:

OMG! I remember SteveO’s naked antifur ad and I’m so happy to hear he has gone vegan! WAY TO GO STEVEO!