South Korea Burying Pigs Alive

Written by PETA | March 4, 2011

We recently told you about South Korean officials who buried more than 1 million pigs alive in an ill-conceived effort to control foot-and-mouth disease. PETA has recently obtained video footage of the killings, which shows workers as they toss live pigs on top of one another in a mass grave. Pigs are pushed out of trucks and into trenches, covered with dirt, and left to suffocate. Air pockets form in the soil, allowing some pigs to breathe, meaning that some may languish for days, injured and surrounded by dead pigs, before they die.

PETA has contacted several offices but has so far received no response. We need your help to keep more animals from being buried alive. Please visit our action alert page in order to e-mail the South Korean embassy in the U.S. and ask officials there to pressure the South Korean government to stop these cruel live burials immediately and institute more humane ways of dealing with foot-and-mouth disease.

And to help pigs right here at home whose fates often aren’t much better, order a vegetarian/vegan starter kit today.

Written by Michelle Sherrow

Comments

• FLORINA CUPSA says:

GUYS !!!! THIS IS SO SICK ! I WANT TO DO SOMETHING , BUT IT SEEMS THAT I HAVE TO FIGHT BIGGER DEMONS AND EVILS!! I DON’T KNOW HOW GOD IS STILL FORGIVING US !! WE ARE SO NASTY AND LOW AS HUMAN BEINGS !!! I AM ASHAMED OF BEING A HUMAN BEING !! CAN YOU IMAGINE THE TERROR THOSE ANIMALS HAVE TO ENDURE AND EVERYTHING ELSE?? COME ON !!! HOW LONG IS GONNA TAKE FOR THIS PLANET TO ACCEPT THIS KIND OF PEOPLE !!! SOMEBODY SHOULD HEAR THE SCREAMING !!! THIS NOT AN ADVANCED CIVILIZATION !!!

• Alyssa says:

Wow. What a horrible thing to see. I could not stop myself from crying half way into it.

• fabs_56 says:

THOSE PEOPLE ARE ALL GOING TO HELL.

• LJ says:

This is horrible! How can there be so many people in this world who lack a conscience?? Thank God for PETA. Unfortunately in the meantime, these animals are being BURIED ALIVE! Sign the petition (the link in the paragraph under the video) and send it to eveyone you know!

• Meghan Ingraham says:

I have never in my life witnessed such a cruel act on the part of humanity as I have when witnessing the burying alive of animals in South Korea. This kind of abuse should NOT be tolerated. Animals are living creatures, just like people are and their insufferable death is completely and utterly unacceptable! I am only 16 years old but I know what abuse is. This goes even further than abuse because the animals are TORTURED. Left to die slowly, these pigs reveal the horribleness of civilization toward animals. If abuse is not ended or a way to rid the pigs more affectively is not implemented, I cannot bear to live with the disgusting human race. A decision needs to be made immediately.

• Josephine says:

Who and what person can do such a thing. i couldn’t belev my eyes hartless…. and very in humane.

• Austin Okane says:

this is disgusting, please end this now!

• Lynn Andret says:

this is a disgrace for the “human” race!

• Christina Brandqvist says:

Totally disgusted..

• Danielle says:

JOIN MY TWITTER @StopFurFarms I honestly believe there is HELL on EARTH. This is sick and needs to stop!!! Lets change the world I am so motivated to spend all my energy raising awarness about animal abuse. I cant take it anymore. PLEASE JOIN MY TWITTER @StopFurFarms LEts all spread the news as much as we can.

• Stephany Williams says:

I wish they would just burn those people alive and see how they like it. I bet they wouldnt at all.

• Kelda says:

I don’t need to see the horrendous video footage to know how awful & immediate this truly is. I will do my best to help put an end! Do not give up, peta!

• Sarah-Jane says:

Horrific, Heart-breaking, gut-wrenching

• dkgarber says:

I’ve seen some horrible footage over the years, most i can’t make it through. I got 2 seconds in, and at the sound of the first squeal i felt the blood literally drain from my face. OMG. UNREAL.

• Tee says:

signed…absolutely appalled and saddened by this…I cried so hard watching…I am speechless to think that humans could actually do something like this..

• Sabine says:

horrible, unbelievable, heartbraking… I`m sorry to belong to human race!!!

• Clara says:

And we are the so called rational specie?? How further will Mankind go? People who does this should be buried alive as well!!

• Catalina Ortiz says:

For the world is a disappointment and a sad look at what you do with these animals. It is disastrous, it is perverse. We are in a time when we have to protect animals and nature. Do you remain in the bygone era? Why sacrifice the animals in this way?. Remember that the quality of a human being is measured according to the treatment they give to animals. You with these massacres are allowing the world to look with disgust and disappointment. Do not allow this anymore. Do not. Be aware and not be so unhappy to continue killing and torturing animals.

• vagabnd says:

Why people dont understand that they have to stop eating animals and meat as human bodies are not made to eat those things. Diseases like these spread and then poor animals are killed for no fault.

• mrinal debnath says:

i would like to about peta activity in assam.india

• Pelin Acar says:

sıgned

• Diane Knudson says:

Horrible, I can’t believe anyone could do this to a living creature!

• shabnam says:

IT is sad, i feel disgusted ,wounderin who are these pepole what happend in their childhood dono .

• kirti sen says:

And at the end of all this we call ourself as…H?u?m?a?n?s…………..the one species that can save all species…????

• Vivian Reufels says:

WE SHOULD NOT TOLERATE MURDERS LIKE THESE! Animals have the right to be treaten correctly, just as they have the right to live! Every person who supports one of those actions is close enough to be a brutal, dumb murderer! FIGHT FOR THESE ANIMALS! FIGHT FOR THOSE LIFES AS YOU WOULD FIGHT FOR YOUR OWN!

• Lily says:

You wouldn’t do this to humans whom you could actually understand when they screamed the words “HELP” so why be so heartless as to do it to animals who trust you to care and provide for them? I couldn’t even watch the whole video, and through what I did I cried so could barely open my eyes anyway.

• Mary Ellen says:

So happy that this is finally getting some attention! I first seen this video on the Canadians for the Ethical Treatment for Food Animals website. I did email this to PETA, but don’t think the email went through because I did not fill out one of the mandatory fields. This video is so heart-wrenching! South Korea’s government needs to stop this inhumane treatment and suffer the necessary negative backlash for these actions! Everyone email South Korean Embassey and make sure to ban any and all products that come from South Korea. Also, if I could make a plea on behalf of Canada’s Food Animals I would like to do so! Please visit the CETFA website and joing their mailing list and donate if you can! This organization fights for the rights of food animals, who basically have no rights and suffer abuse each and everyday. When I discovered this site I was astounded to ready much of the information regarding how farm animals are treated in a ‘supposed civilized’ country (minus the seal hunt, stampede and puppy mills)!

• Dia Perd says:

Stop this now!! :(

• Tammy Karaba says:

This is very sad. If you have a petition to sign against this type of behavior, I would like to sign it. Tammy

• Shanthi Holland says:

I have been watching in horror the massacre of pigs, cows and chickens taking place in South Korea. It is understandable that the government is attempting to find a way to control and abolish the foot-and-mouth disease that the country is dealing with. Nonetheless, burying animals in mass graves while they are still alive is not only horribly cruel and inhumane, but it also violates both the domestic animal protection and Korea’s obligation under the World Organization for Animal Health’s Guidelines. Please to pressure the South Korean government to stop these cruel live burials immediately and institute more humane ways of dealing with foot-and-mouth disease.

• Genine Q says:

This is terrible and uncalled for. I just don’t understand how a human can live with themself. We need to take action as soon as possible

• Nadine Aenis says:

No one has the right to do what these people are doing!!!!! NO ONE!!!!!!

• Linda Coman says:

What the hell is wrong with these INHUMANE MORONS! The fear in these poor creatures eyes and on their faces!!! Why were they not killed first!!! My GOD!!

• pauline moore says:

THIS HAS GOT TO STOP RIGHT NOW!

• tom moore says:

THIS KIND OF ACTION SHOULD BE ILLEGAL!

• José Alejandro GONZALEZ VELOZO says:

That´s dastardly..!

• NICK GIZELIS says:

STOP THIS MURDER NOW!

• rosa says:

even if you think that animals don’t suffer, I am not going to talk about it. killing ‘em, and doing it this way makes you look brainless. don’t want stop for them? do it for your own dignity.

• DOMINOIS says:

c’est une honte. Encore une fois les animaux ne sont pas respectés dans ce monde de brutes

• Rainee says:

I cannot understand how anyone can condone such cruelty or perform an act of such hate and apathy! All animals deserve better from us and if you are a meat eater you should show these animals respect for what they give you!!

• M says:

PLEASE STOP these cruel live burials immediately and institute more humane ways of dealing with foot-and-mouth disease.

• Giorgio Picinelli says:

Saying that I’m in shock reading about this doesn’t even start to describe how I feel…..

• margaret says:

This is an OUTRAGE!!! Please give these intelligent animals respect and humane descentsy. This so cruel and the people responsible should be imprisoned for life! How can someone live with themselves knowing what an evil thing they have done to living creatures!

• Allison says:

My mother sent PETA an email roughly six weeks ago when this matter first came to light, and PETA jumped right on it and posted the story immediately. We thank you for your persistence and your work!

• Anna says:

I hope all those people get buried alive for what they do to those animals and much worse!!!!

• Lilynette says:

How could anyone stand to do that, all that screaming crying, and their pleading eyes… it appalls me that anyone one could be so cruel, and worse yet that i be government ordered, absolutely sickening.

• Sophie Mochlas says:

Put an end to this

• Jacqueline Ruebsam says:

Every creature , that can breath and eat and reproduce is a living creature- and no living creature has deserved to be abused or tortured !!!!!!!!!!

• Dulcineia says:

im horrorified

• Zenna says:

I can’t watch the video, but I will email the South Korean embassy.