School Officials Enlightened About Pet Shop Cruelty

Written by PETA | March 12, 2010

Eden II, a Staten Island school for autistic children, recently lost some electronics and rubber duckies to burglars, but it’s the theft of Star, the school’s hamster, that has students crying and losing sleep.

In an effort to nix any notion about getting a “replacement” for Star, our TeachKind reps have reached out to Eden II officials, offering to replace the classroom hamster with Webkinz, a humane alternative to live classroom animals that combines toys and technology to allow kids to care for adopted friends online. With Webkinz, kids learn responsibility and kindness without subjecting an animal to possible neglect or abuse.

We are also providing the school with information about pet shop cruelty, because most of the exotic animals in pet shops come from filthy warehouses such as U.S. Global Exotics (USGE), where an undercover PETA investigation revealed shocking neglect and cruelty. Hamsters, prairie dogs, lizards, turtles, frogs, and hedgehogs were kept for weeks packed into cattle-watering troughs, cardboard boxes, and plastic bottles, and countless animals were deprived of food, water, light, and ventilation. There was no veterinary care for countless sick and injured animals, who instead were simply left in freezers to die or carelessly tossed into a waste bin. Fortunately, PETA’s investigation resulted in the permanent removal of more than 26,000 mammals, reptiles, amphibians, and arachnids from USGE—but our fight against this kind of common cruelty continues.

USGE Hamsters

Will Eden II officials accept our offer and decide to ban live animals from their classrooms? I sure hope so. After all, I believe that Star would never wish his frightening fate on another helpless animal.

Written by Karin Bennett

Comments

• Person says:

As long as it is well cared for, taken home on the weekends, and kept out of the reach of more the more irresponsible children, having a classroom pet is not necessarily bad. Some simple research is all you need to find good pet breeders in the area who will sell you a healthy, happy pet. A lot of these articles make it seem like it’s a horrible thing to have a pet, when it’s totally not.

• Tanya Fink says:

I agree it seems big corporations can get away with anything. It boggles my mind when I sit and watch animal planet shows like pet cops and think worse abuse is going on in slaughterhouses animal testing labs etc. People will get outraged with someone abusing their dog as they sit on their couch eating a hamburger….hmmmm.

• Maureen says:

I hope Edenll will accept the offer they will help animals by being in the lead against animal cruelty I do not believe children should have pets and I am speaking of young children the ones that accidentally squeeze to hard or drop them and cause death.This virtual pet will help childern learn the responsibilty of caring for a pet and what all it entails. COME ON EDEN BE THE FIRST!!!! I am rooting for youI think it is great that you work with Autistic childrenWhat a blessing for the teachers and children.

• Caitlyn says:

I don’t understand why its not okay to be abusive to your pet at home but then these huge companies can go on forever with it and most people don’t even take a second glance their way…

• Jackie says:

I think this is a wonderful idea myself being a person on the Autism spectrum. I find people on the Autism spectrum really enjoy technology like computers and video games because they feel more comfortable with the sameness of computer programs and video games. What I’m wondering is are you going to buy the class a subscription to Webkinz? I’m not that familiar with Webkinz but I do know a lot of these website require a payment for accessing certain member only things and usually things that really are important to playing the game like inventory space and the ability to collect stuff. I just want to make sure you have considered this because it’d be a shame to offer this to the class only to have them find out they’re going to have to pay out of their own pockets to have full access to Webkinz.

• Theboynextdoor says:

I agree.

• Aneliese says:

I hope they accept the offer. Animals don’t deserve to be toyed around with my children especially those who may hurt them.