Santa’s Not Coming …

Written by PETA | December 17, 2007

This Christmas, please, please, please remember to leave soy milk out for Santa Claus instead of cow’s milk. With that in mind, here is PETA’s world-famous “Santa’s Not Coming” PSA. Warning: It’s a little bit controversial (by which I mean “hilarious”). As usual, please direct all complaints or concerns about this ad to OMGWTF@peta.org, with the subject line “Please, think of the children!”

600_santa_not_coming.jpg

Comments

• Caboose says:

Warwik Vegan Santa is very potent? At what assasination? or fitting through the Chimney?

• LLIK SLAMINA says:

VAGetarians.

• meaty says:

so now we shouldn’t drink milk. Aren’t vegitables living organisims? I think I am going to start PETV… Have you seen the way they handle tomatoes in the stores? so cruel!

• Leirro says:

Silk for guys? Talk about being impotent. Keep taking in lots of soy guys that’ll keep the johnson working. Sheesh!

• Fred says:

Mike Quinoa Scott is a great runner and couldn’t even come close to the accomplishments he has and it is not my goal to run marathons. He is an outstanding athlete who has found that a vegan diet works for him it does not work for me. For the record I run for my health and because my current occupation requires a certain degree of physical fitness. I don’t particularly like running but I do what I have to. This is why I stated ‘most” in my comment. In the same light I could make the same statement for most non vegans as well. I am simply stating that you don’t need to be vegan to be healthy. Like my mom used to say too much of anything is not good.

• Carla says:

Jaclyn totally!! That was me! And Ana lol!! I’m not saying it was “right” for me to decline “COWS’ Milk”! All I’m saying is that it isn’t something that “I” should be drinking in abundance so “I” can advoid future complications Freddie!! Do you “NOT” get it!! “Animals milk” “WAS” Meant to help animals in this case “COWS” “AND” “THEIR” calfs Not us “Humans” I’ll stick with my “OWN” Mothers’ milk Thankyou!! Untill I’m ready to produce my own amunities which is now!!

• Josselyn says:

When I wasn’t a vegan I used to drink milk like 5 times a day and I never grew an inch now a year later and I’m a vegan and I have more muscle and have grown more than ever before. ILY PETA!

• rojo says:

debbie vacuum hoses and sensitive teats have you seen a calf suckle? A milking machine would be pure joy in that regard. mike maybe it’s because other animals haven’t joined the agriculture revolution yet. Anyway our cat loved milk and he was well past weaning. I take your point on necessary must be because we like it too.

• Christopher Cochran MD says:

Jaclyn you are correct that it would be very difficult to die of smoke inhalation from cigarettes. The evidence for causality is very strong that cigarettes do directly cause many diseases that would almost be unheard of if not for smokes. lung ca copd for example. The saturated fat in dairy products has never been shown to my knowledge to directly contribute to ED. Keep in mind to study this you would have to take into account the study participants comorbidities including tobacco abuse DM2 and diabetes. Undoubtedly if the milk drinkers were fatter and unhealthier after the study was over than the nonmilk drinkers they would likely have more ED. ED is often an early indicator of atherosclerosis. The links often cited here regarding animal products and atherosclerosis are usually pretty weak. Obesity diabetes smoking hypertension and genetic predisposition are important risk factors for atherosclerosis. If you eat the wrong animal or plant foods in the wrong quantities you will be unhealthy. Case in point hamburger aren’t particularly good for you but they aren’t any worse than Fritos or Ruffles. Venison grass fed beef free range eggs soy chard fish shellfish spinach turnips bell peppers are all examples of things in the plant and animal world that are good for you. To imply better health by simply being a vegan is scientifically presumptuous. When you use yourself as an example you cite a study with an n value of 1 which is no study at all. Cross sectional studies are always cited here when comparing vegans to omnivores. CSS’s are notoriously flawed because they do not account for selection and member bias. Vegans TEND to be more educated affluent females and they account for less than three percent of the population. You can’t compare that group to the general population and come up with valid science. That is like saying being Buddhist monk MAKES you healthier than the general population. I imagine they are but you can’t apply that causality due to extreme selection bias. A selectively omnivorous exercising person is probably as healthy or healthier than a COMPARABLE vegan. A DBPC study is impossible to do here so we may never be sure.

• Mike Quinoa says:

For another view on the soy “controversy” in opposition to Fred’s link check out httpwww.bryannaclarkgrogan.compagepage3476771.htm Soy is only one part of what I eat. I normally stay away from mock meats and isolated soy protein. There are plenty of good vegan foods with excellent essential amino acid profiles. From my research I feel no need to be scared of soy. The meat and dairy industries use fearmongering in an attempt to discredit soy and thus they hope cause hesitancy in people considering a veg diet. The stakes no pun intended are big here.

• Ana says:

Milk is natural to drink if your a calf. Mother’s milk was enough for me.

• Shayla says:

I thought this ad was hilarious yet I agree that people have been dring milk for ages and not everyone is dropping off like flies. But when you think what can be in milk Got Pus? Milk does it just turns you off. I drink Silk and I’m a proud member of PETAbut honestly we could do better with the controversial advertisements.

• Jaclyn says:

I never said that I was lactose intolerant. Robert I understand what you are saying. Fred in our society you really stand out because most people don’t want todon’t have time to exercise. You seem to manage your time well since you can fit in jogging daily and going to the gym. Good for you. I don’t think I’ve ever met a committed runner that was not in good shape. Ok someone correct me if I’m wrong I’m no medical expert or anything Dr. Cochran are you around?. But don’t people technically die of lets say kidney failure or a specific organ failure? No one technically dies of cigarette smoking right? So wouldn’t saying that smoking kills you be a bit far fetched too? Technically people die because smoking caused an organ to fail. The cause of death would be that failure. Isn’t that the same with this ad? Obviously milk won’t directly give you ED but the cholesterol in milk can clog your arteries even your arteries down there…

• Tamara says:

Kristinaswitching to Soy milk is the easiest thing. Just do it. When you go to the store pick a brand. It’ll taste a little different at first. But now I can’t look at cow’s milk without a churn in my stomach. There is just something harsh and strong in cow’s milk. As far as other dairy I can’t help you there. I still do the cheese and egg thing although alot less than I used to.

• Mike Quinoa says:

Fred said “I am more healthy then most if not all Vegans out there.” If you like to run maybe do some research on Scott Jurekhe’s a fairly healthy vegan.

• Mike Quinoa says:

Not sure where the ED link comes in saturated fat blocking small arteries? but there’s seems to be a link between dairy consumption and prostate cancer. It’s strange that we are the only species that once we have been weaned from our own human mothers finds it necessary to drink the mothers’ milk of another species. This might explain why the majority of the world is lactoseintolerant and only through a genetic mutation have the rest been able to stomach it.

• Debbie says:

For commenters who use words like “force.” Seriously at what point does this ad force you to do or believe anything? It’s an advertisement a suggestion. You have every right to get your hackles up OR have a laugh and get over yourself. To sum up this is an ad and I don’t believe anyone “forced” you to come to this blog or “forced” you to have the same views or beliefs. Unlike the dairy cows who are FORCED to stand in filthy stalls and have vacuum hoses FORCED onto their sensitive teats. Great Job PETA

• kristina says:

I love it! Rock on! Except i would like to learn more about not eating dairy products i have been a vegetarian for 3 years nowand i eat dairy products i would like to stop but i need more facts and need to make sure i will be healthy! if you could send me some info to my email. x kmlilwi.rr.com

• Sophie says:

i’m not a vegan but to much dairy is problem

• Warwak says:

Vegan Santa is mucho potento! Ho Ho Ho vegansanta.com

• Fred says:

I don’t understand the whole “Not good for you” thing here. I can’t think of anything more natural then good old wholesome milk. That processed soy crap you drink I think would be more unhealthy. What kind of chemicals does it take to make a soybean in to milk? I drink milk every day as well as eat meat and would venture to say that I am more healthy then most if not all Vegans out there. No heart problems no cholesterol problems certainly no impotence problems 6’3″ 235 lbs and 8 body fat. I run 25 miles a day hit the gym at least once a day and eat healthy that’s all 4 food groups for you vegies only folks. While researching this subject I found this great article about soy and its benefits. I wont look for this to post anytime in this life time since any credible source that is anti PETA manages to not make it in the blog. At any rate here is a portion of the article found here httpwww.healingdaily.comdetoxificationdietsoy.htm Is soy healthy? Soy is not the health food that you think it is. From tofu and tacos to baby formula and burgers soy products have swept the nation as a healthy source of protein with a reputation for being all natural and good for you. New studies have however raised questions over whether the ingredients in soy might increase the risk of breast cancer in some women affect brain function in men and lead to hidden developmental abnormalities in infants. The core of their concerns rests with the chemical makeup of soy in addition to all the nutrients and protein soy contains a natural chemical that mimics estrogen the female hormone. Some studies in animals show that this chemical can alter sexual development. And in fact 2 glasses of soy milkday over the course of one month contain enough of the chemical to change the timing of a womans menstrual cycle. This article may explain some of the irrational and psychotic behavior of a large portion of the PETA population.

• Terriers Rule says:

I have to admit that I sometimes buy milk from Horizon Organic but they claim to treat their cows well and you can visit their website and read their claims if you’d like. I hope no one will think I’m a horrible person for drinking milk as I’ve already gotten my husband to partially go vegetarian actually he loves the taste of vegetarian foods and soy milk as well so it didn’t take much convincing at all. I don’t buy a lot of milk just once in a while.

• Richard says:

This is exactly the kind of thing which undermine’s PETA credibility and ultimately its goal. The lingering aftertaste of this type of campaign means I donate money to animal rights organisations other than PETA. Take a leaf out of Greenpeace’s book. They know how to grab media attention with losing respect.

• Ryan says:

This is why no one has respect for PETA. Hippies

• Ryan says:

Uhh.. OK?

• bestuvall says:

Is that Ingrids ex husband?

• K says:

O Omg! lol Very clever

• ONS-Torlan says:

Jaclyn….drinking milk made you lactose intolerent? Do you realize how stupid that sounds? This is one of the reasons no one takes this organization seriously stupid messages with little foundation in reality. I mean really dogmatic PETA knows more about the effects of milk than scientist who study this sort of thing?

• Ryan says:

Personal Philosophy If we didn’t eat delicious animals we wouldn’t raise delicious animals…and if we didn’t raise delicious animals…they all be extinct…so fire up the BBQ tonite and save another delicious species from extinction!

• Jason Levy says:

I totally agree with Jaclyn…this is exactly why I joined PETA too!

• Kathera Lockharte says:

well honestly I do love you guys I do share some of your beliefs though the not eating meat because of our teeth I don’t share simply because humans are not pure herbivores nor are they pure carnivores we are somewhere in between we are of a group known as Omnivores meaning we eat a wide range of things from fruits and veggies to meats and and eggs now I do respect your beliefs but to force everyone to conform to yours is no different then us draping a fur coat on you because its still infringes on our rights to eat meat now I will try to find meat from more humane sources it will be hard but I still firmly believe that we were meant to eat meat now for hunting if you really REALLY want to see animals roaming free then you mustn’t forbid hunters from hunting because we sadly have killed an awful lot of Apex predators so in order to keep certain animals from over grazing and over populating small patches of land we sadly must cull some of them to leave room for future generations As for the hunters I don’t mind them for skinning the kill whether it be a deer or a rabbit but as long as they use all of the animal or at least use everything on the animal that is considered edible or doesn’t churn your stomach at the thought of eating such as tripe or other organ meats if that is anyones case then I don’t mind that being left for scavengers because they need to eat too but anyways I degress I have drank milk my whole life and i have been around men who drank the stuff their whole lives and not once did they become impotent because of it also if you go organic then there is nothing wrong with it especially if it was all hand milked or if the cows who are being machine milked are being cared for properly that means having there teats and udders washed as regularly as the equipment that milks them as well as regular application of udder cream to lessen the chances of the teats and udders becoming sore and chapped thus eliminating the chances of puss being introduced into the milk so while I do agree with you on that the truth is not all farms are hives of cruelty I admit all factory farms are but the smaller farms where pigs are allowed to roll in mud or chickens can do whatever it is that they do without the worries of being Debeaked and forced to suffer and where cows are milked by hand so that sores don’t develop and become infected so there are still plenty of farms where animals are being cared for properly and live good lives. Now my views on animal testing are mixed what I don’t like is when animals are tortured in these labs because what point is there to destroy the eyes of a rabbit is it to say “buy our eye make up it destroys the eyes of bunny rabbits” or “buy our skin cream it causes painful lesions in cats and other animals” however not all tests on animals are like that I am pretty sure you are familier with running a rat through a maze the rat gets a reward if he makes it and if he gets lost he isn’t left in the maze till he either gets it right or starves to death trying no they give him a break and shows the him how to get from the start of the maze to the finish line so while I do feel for the animals who suffer from the tests being done to them I do know that most do more humane tests on there subjects but all in all I feel that you guys could use some understanding and not jump to conclusions that humans are herbivores because if you take a look at our closest reletives the chimpanzee while they do often eat plant matter they will eat meat on occasion including smaller primates such as young baboons. its the same with baboons I have seen them eat lizards and birds eggs its because they are somewhat omnivorous we are the same way though we are more omnivorous than other primates so don’t get me wrong I do find your work in saving animals to be really good as for the rumors that you guys had purchased a huge walk in freezer that is good for two things that being for the storage of meat and the storage of corpses well the medias guess is that when you guys raid an animal testing facility you destroy the animals and tell the people that they had be liberatedbut the way I see it is that given the condition some of the animals are in of course some of the poor animals are going to have to be humanly put to sleep because the animal was beyond saving and was kinder to put them down then it is to try and save them. Well this being said I do appreciate your work in saving the animals of the world its just some of the stuff you guys had said isn’t quite true that being that humans are herbivores because we are Omnivores now I do agree that a vegetarian diet won’t hurt us but we also won’t be getting any vitamin B12 out of it either unless we supplement with vitamin B12 tablets which is an indication that we were meant to eat meat to begin with not to offend you this is just my opinions so I give my sincerest apologies in advanced for offending you because these are simply my opinions and you don’t have to agree with them you should at least consider them since I think it will give you a better understanding of why we eat meat not because we are herbivores who chose one day to eat meat but rather because we are Omnivores who can chose between eating meat and veggies so in closing I simply wanted to share my opinions on the matter of whether its wrong to eat meat or not because animals do it in the wild and the animals who get eaten sadly do suffer its just that we kill our prey a little differently then a lion or a wolf does so Peace and don’t let the trollson twins get you down because frankly they were cute as little kids now their just drugged up skanks who have a preference for furcoats instead of cruelty free coats made of artificial fibers instead of fur which I would rather see instead of the real thing and I do know how to tell if a furcoat that says its fake fur is actually made of real fur if it feels like real fur and if you part the fur and find leather then frankly it means that its made of real fur and not faux fur what kind of fur its made of most likely cat dog coyote or tanukiraccoon dog fur.

• Christopher Cochran MD says:

I do not necessarily advocate routinely drinking cow’s milk but I am interested to understand the pathophysiologic basis for your claim. Why does milk cause ED? Cigarettes do I know but milk? How exactly. If it’s the obesity thing then soy beans and donuts cause obesity too. Frankly some of the great cheeses like mozzarella di bufalo and pecorino romano are worth a boner or two to me at least.

• Robert says:

Jaclyn I fully agree with you that we need to tailor the message to the audience and that talking about health issues is one way to do this. However this advertisement is making a rather extraordinary factual assertion that milk causes impotence. I was hoping that there would be real scientific research to back this up but I couldn’t find any online either on the GoVeg.com website or elsewhere. To me this ad doesn’t convey “milk is not good for you.” It conveys “PETA is making wild claims that it can’t support.” I think that it hurts the group’s credibility which is unfortunate. I want PETA to succeed. Again if the ad instead emphasized other proven health issues weight cardiovascular health I think it would be much more effective.

• V. Soto says:

From Jaclyn From a marketing point of view this ad does it. We’ve learned time after time that many people don’t want to hear about health issues people don’t want to hear the details about cruelty to animals and so forth. If people wanted to hear this then everyone would be healthy and everyone would be vegan. This ad grabs your attention and lets you know that milk is not good for you. Hopefully doing something this controversial will get people buzzing and talking. This is EXACTLY why I joined Peta! Terrific post! Well said.

• Sarah says:

hah i havent seen that before.

• Eric says:

I LOVE THIS AD!! From a man’s point of view this will definetly get me to start thinking! So glad I drink silk lol.

• rojo says:

ana what exactly is so true about it? Maybe soy does bring you joy. If santa laid off the alcohol along the way he’d be able to stay up all night.

• Holly says:

Lucinda thats true. Like people who smoke not all get cancer emphysema or copd but many that smoke do get sick. The same is true with milk some dont get sick and some dont know weather they will get sick in the future or not. I know some one who is 65 years old never been sick a day in her life she lived on a dairy farm the milk she drank was organic and she now has Lymphoma…her doctor thinks milk was a culprit. She was always so very healthy and took very good care of her self. so you may be lucky and not get sick or you may get sick in the years to come. I hope you stay healthy truly.

• Jaclyn says:

• Robert says:

This is why I don’t join PETA. Noble goals lousy message delivery. There are lots of sound reasons for not using dairy compassion towards animals avoiding heart disease. PETA doesn’t need to resort to dubious scientific claims about impotence. Advertisements like this are likely to reinforce the view of PETA as being out in left field. They won’t educate people or encourage them to reconsider their habits. It’s preaching to the choir.

• Paul says:

Milk makes you impotent? First time I’ve heard this. State your sources.

• Carla says:

No they had to make him thin so at least he can see his…p! Lol!!!

• Caboose says:

Guess whos gettin coal in their faux stocking. Not even that. If SantaCheyney its D.U Season’s beatings.

• Carla says:

Remember growing up and the doctor would tell you or your mom would say “you have to drink at least 88oz glasses of milk a day in order for your bones to be strong and healthy” what a farse I would drink that damn milk till I puked thats what probably made me lactose intalrant today my body just said thats enough!! Besides the obvious why would anyone want to drink someone eles’ moms breast milk!

• Jaclyn says:

I needed a good laugh and this ad did it!!! Thanks for the big smile!

• Bill says:

Great fuin’ ad!

• BullyDawg says:

Groan and a little Eww! Oh and did Santa lose weight in that ad? BTW whoever mentioned the Silk Soy Nog thanks! It’s delicious and available at WalMart yippie!

• Holly says:

VERY GOOD!

• Lucinda says:

Oh honestly if it’s organic milk it’s not bad. I drank milk all my life and have yet to feel any ill effects.

• Ana says: