PETA Offers Aretha $19K to Ditch the Fur

Written by PETA | March 26, 2008

After TMZ posted documents last week showing that Aretha Franklin is facing foreclosure, the story has been reported everywhere. Well, despite the fact that we’ve had the occasional run-in with the Queen of Soul, we’re willing to bury the hatchet and even help her out of her recent financial troubles by paying her $19,000 … provided that she agrees to stop wearing fur and donate her unwanted furs to PETA as Mariah Carey and Kim Cattrall have done.

You can read PETA’s letter to Aretha below, and, as always, those lightning-quick reporters over at TMZ are first on the scene with the full story.

PETA_letter_to_Aretha_Franklin.jpg

Comments

• Daniella says:

I was so surprised at the comments this letter brought! WHO CARES WHY SHE GIVES UP FUR??? The important thing is that she DOES give it up. Do you think a chinchila would be opposed to living just because some hasbeen was about to lose her house and was desperate to have money? If litterally hundereds of animals are able to live free because Deuchey McFatass accepts money from Peta then WE ARE HELPING THE ANIMALS. DIRECTLY. Not to mention the fact of course that she still has fans that might follow suit. With the publicity of this letter people might go as far as to wonder why Peta is so desperate to have her give up fur and might end up on the website and see some videos. I know because that’s exactly how I became a vegetarian and an animal rights advocate. I LOVED this idea. It shocked and embarrassed her although unfortunately she can’t feel the same type of “shock” those poor creatures felt when they were anally electrocuted. It got a great message accross. Go Peta! Peace.

• Amber says:

She should take the deal for the animals sake and hasn’t she heard fur is so out of style….

• Sailor Nova says:

It seems to me that the people who need to be educated are not and when you try to educate them they just walk away! It’s a hard thing! That being said for awhile now people have said that they want to know where their food and toys come from all because of the Chinese recalls for lead paint and such. That got me thinking that people should know exactly where things come from and how they are made and before purchasing be shown a video of whatever product it is that they are buying! So if it’s milk they see the way the cows are treated and if it’s a fur coat then they see how that particular coat was made starting from the beginning of course! Yes people scream a little louder about your Elmo toy car and then we’ll have ourselves a law that in the long run you will wish you had kept your mouths shut! C’mon! we need a law to make people aware of exactly what they are buying and getting for their money!

• MaryK says:

I don’t think it will make a difference. She’s a selfish person…she’ll take the money but still won’t do anything to help animal rights. Let her find the money somewhere else. You can’t buy someone’s heart really PETA….you know those that don’t care usually never change.

• Paul says:

Bribing someone or tempting someone with cash does not change a view. It may stop her wearing the fur but it’s only for the money. And what a waste of it PETA. Starving people in the world of which she is not one and the money goes on her and the few animals stopping her buying fur will save. Her fans wont follow her they know she doesn’t think it’s bad. Do you have any idea what that money could do in Africa?

• Susan T says:

I think a better offer would be to provide her with a year’s supply of vegan food a membership in a health club where she could definitely stand to lose about 80 pounds and then sit her down and show her the videos of fur farms especially those in China and Korea and the hideous images of animals with their limbs smashed in steeljaw traps and make her turn over every last dead animal skin she owns. I’d certainly use this money for a more worthy cause. Her financial woes are of her own doingher furwearing is by choice too. She is shallow and without compassion. Bribing this “has been soul queen won’t accomplish anything. She accuses animal lovers of not caring about peoplegive me a break!!! Hey Arethawhere are your “soul brothers and sisters” when you need them huh? Seems like the rich young hiphop stars would rather squander their illgotten gain selfishly on their own furs expensive cars and bankroll barbaric dogfighting operations than help out a struggling sister. Aretha you as a former gospel singer and familiar with the Good Book should know that you reap what you sow!

• Maya, CVT says:

Susan I agree. I’m afraid that PETA is a bit starstruck. They spend SO much time and money trying to get the attention of celebs. It’s very disappointing. If they really wanted to give the money to people they could have created jobs for poachers or dog fighters or even donated to organizations who try to rehab these people. Helping poor uneducated animal abusers has been proven to be a great solution to end animal abuse. Maybe they can spend the money there instead.

• Susan Holmes says:

I am disgusted with PETA for even considering giving money to Arethra Franklin for her financial difficulties which is of her own making. If I didn’t pay my tax and bills nobody would bail me out and I would not expect it either. This money could be better spent on helping animals in desperate need or feeding starving animals. This woman has had a life of splendour and if she has financial problems then perhaps she should look at what she is spending her money on instead. She should realise that wearing fur coats is morally wrong and she should choose not to wear them and make the decision to give her fur coats to you out of empathy to the animals and not for financial rewards. Though I support PETA in most ways such as putting an end to animal abuse cruelty I find some of your decisions ill advised and your money could be better spent. I donate what I can afford to PETA and to think that my money would be given to Arethra franklin to pay off her debt’s is quite disgraceful and would make me reconsider donating money to you again. That $19000 could be spent on spayingneutering animals or feeding animals or rehoming animals to improve the lives of animals that are treated so cruely by humans.

• Maya, CVT says:

Spay and neuter hi there! Wow if that’s what you call news than this country is in worse shape than I thought. Get an education much?

• Dr.Breen says:

thats all you have?

• Spay and neuter immediately, please says:

Oh Maya… your lack of imagination would be laughable if not so annoying. Guess whatthe story has already made the news and it didn’t cost PETA a cent of the precious donations you keep reminding everyone you don’t send in anyway. Just to name a few httpwww.entertainmentwise.comnews41370arethafranklinbribedbypeta httpwww.allheadlinenews.comarticles7010458018 httpwww.prinside.competaoffersarethar505369.htm httpwww.tmz.com20080326petatoarethalosethefurkeepyourhouse You’d be surprised how many people don’t know or care that fur is an issue. Stunts like this are an incredibly efficient way to create discussion. Try thinking outside the box sometimethere’s a whole world out there.

• carol tuskan says:

The only thing I would give Aretha is constant pressure to have some integrity compassion and respect for living beingsand DITCH THE FUR!