NY Puppy Mill Gasses Nearly 100 Dogs

Written by PETA | September 15, 2010

Just in time for Puppy Mill Awareness Day, a puppy mill operator in Romulus, New York, has admitted to using a makeshift gas chamber to “depopulate” the kennel—in other words, to kill 93 dogs and puppies. David Yoder, who bred poodles, bichon frises, Maltese, and Boston terriers at his Black Diamond Acres kennel, told a U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) inspector that he gassed the dogs after being told that he would have to test and treat them for brucellosis. He put groups of five or six at a time into a sealed “whelping box,” which he had hooked up to a tractor engine. (Is anybody else noting the irony that these dogs were born and died in the same box?)

Yoder appears to have violated federal law, which prohibits kennel operators from performing euthanasia, as well as New York state law, which bans killing animals with exhaust fumes. Yoder has turned in his kennel license and is now under investigation by the USDA and the local sheriff’s department. Should he be found guilty of violating the Animal Welfare Act, he faces fines of up to $10,000 for each such violation.

pet store

This case is just one more reminder—as if we needed one—why people should never buy dogs from pet stores (the retail end of the puppy mill business) or people who advertise puppies for sale in newspapers or online. If an ad mentions multiple breeds for sale, it might as well say “puppy mill” in neon lights.

Written by Alisa Mullins

Comments

• IHATEPUPPYMILLS says:

This disgusts me, why would anyone want to kill those poor vulnerable creatures. Animals have equal rights to us but I think that some of us have not considered that. Would YOU like it if you were trapped in a plastic box and the next thing you know is that your being killed by gas fumes. Utterly disgusting, where is our sense these days???

• Viv says:

I am sure that so many people who would be good to dogs could be hooked up to dogs more affordably. The local pet store in the mall doesn’t charge less than $500/dog. If we are not to get dogs from newspaper ads or pet shops. Then where? I this guy lives close to Ithaca and Cornell, I am sure something could be done by the people in that area. They have a “no kill” animal shelter in Tompkins Cty. Ironic, that the shelter doesn’t kill dogs, but the kennel does!!! Also, let me say that a place called Cayuga Heights NY has decided that there are too many deer. They want to trap the deer in a net and shoot a metal rod through their head!

• PETA says:

Dolphinlover: PETA strongly encourages you to visit your local animal shelter and adopt a dog. There are thousands of homeless animals languishing in shelters that are in need of loving homes. Purchasing a dog from a breeder takes the life of a dog in a shelter, so save a life by adopting!

• dolphinluver says:

Was that a Westie in the picture!! My daughter really wants a Westie but now that we moved we can finally get her one. But seeing this… Now I have trouble separating the puppy mills and the breeders. We don’t know how else to look for a Westie breeder… Can anyone help?

• Natasha says:

I feel so sick reading this, I’m finding trouble finding the words to express myself. How someone thinks they have the right to carry this out, the suffering that those dogs must have gone through, I can’t even imagine. Both him and his sick bitch wife, hopefully what goes around will come back around, tenfold. http://www.cnycentral.com/news/story.aspx?id=511335

• Tricia Hamilton says:

I am so upset by this story. Our government should step to the plate and do something about this being that all of us can’t

• vivi says:

There is a petshop in Roppongi, near Tokyo Midtown, that sells mostly miniature breads and cats. Every time I pass it my hear aches for these babies trapped in little fish tanks. The shop smells on an average day and positively reaks on a hot day. I went upstairs once where they had some cats and the smell of ammonia (pet pee) was literally stinging my eyes; cats are super clean creatures who hate a dirty litter tray and will hold themselves for as long as they can until someone cleans it- how long do these cats/ kittens have to wait. There is a pen in the middle of the shop that houses the 2 or 3 older puppies `on sale` as they were not bought when `tiny and cute`. I wonder if they have ever been walked. I have also heard that pet-shops, particularly in Roppongi have an `agreement` or scam basically where a hostess (bar-girl) persuades a client to buy her a pint-size puppy (chihuahuas, teacup yorkies, teacup poodles are v. popular here). He hands over the cash, she takes the puppy home for one night and when she returns it the next day she receives a fee and the petshop keeps the rest of the cash. How disorientating and heartbreaking for the puppy- to be out of a cage for one night, to snuggle in someones arms for a night just to be thrown back in a fishtank the next day. http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:JHGVQbcJZ_cJ:boingboing.net/2009/04/29/julie-wolfson-in-jap.html+japanese+hostess+and+petshop+scam&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&client=firefox-a My husband is Japanese and he had never heard of puppy mills, until we looked at arkbark.net, a non kill shelter in Osaka. Can Peta APAC start a campaign in Japan or at least Tokyo or Osaka teaching people the truth behind puppy mills and pet-shops??

• ZekeZirngable says:

This creep is crying to the press playing the “I’m just a poor farmer” card. But a search of the online real property records show that he owns about $300,000 in land. http://www.co.seneca.ny.us/dpt-finadmin-real-property-tax.php He doesn’t live that far from Ithaca and Cornell. I’d like to see an organized protest myself.

• Sophia says:

This is cruel and horrid. How can anyone do this? People now a days are so greedy they sink to low low low levels. I wish I could gas this guy! This made me cry :(

• Cecilia Bowerman says:

Come on people!!!!!!!!!!! Please stop using puppy mills, is so outdated to know that in 2010 we still find people that make money selling animals in this way and people buying dogs, cats, birds, etc from places like these. Before buying a dog, cat, etc we must do our homework . A pet is a new member of our family, don’t you think? is for the rest of our lives.

• katelyn says:

I live in upstate NY and this was just in our news paper! I am OUTRAGED!!! check my blog post about it http://ksmspace.blogspot.com/2010/09/outraged.html

• George says:

Many people don’t know that puppy mills sell through websites and online ads where they claim they are “reputable breeders” and ship the dog so the buyer can’t see the puppy mill they really come from.

• George says:

The AKC makes most of its money registering dogs from puppy mills just like this one. The AKC lobbies to oppose laws so they can help the puppy mills like this make more money. The AKC makes most of its money from puppy mill registrations. They would go bankrupt if they didn’t do business with the puppy mills. Please read http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Patti_Strand#NAIA.2C_AKC.2C_state_breeders_associations_.26_puppy_mills (THis is the AKC board member who is chairman of their puppy mill committee to create business with puppy mills) and http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=American_Kennel_Club for why and how the AKC does business with puppy millers all across the country.

• charlotte says:

this has to be stop puppy mills and I would love to gas this person see how he like it and sick people kill poor animals .

• AnimalLover says:

What kind of disgusting individual would do such a thing? How can anybody in their right mind get a dog from anywhere else but a rescue or a shelter? Don’t they know that “cute little puppy” in the pet store is the product of a sick, horrible individual? The more people buy puppy mill dogs, the more we’ll hear of stories like this. I honestly think that people really don’t care. With so much out there that exposes stuff like this, puppy mills are still in full-swing.

• nora marasco says:

No matter how much money we donate and no matter what anyone does in all the USA, the puppy mills still exist and the dogs, by the millions, still suffer and are murdered with no compassion every day. I am so sickend this story, I am beyond outraged and beyond words that are allowed to describe the way I REALLY feel about the people who are still performing these attrocities against defensless dogs and other animals who deserve a life and to be loved and taken care of.

• Shelter volunteer says:

The USDA never reported this case to the local authorities. A board member from the local SPCA found the info on the USDA website & reported the mass killings to Seneca Co Sheriff & DA Offices. There are several bills currently in the NYS Legislative that deal with limiting the number of intact dogs at these horrific commercial breeding facilities, but none have passed. Some bills limit the number to 50 intact dogs but many other states have much lower caps than 50. The bottom line is better regulation, education & advocacy, which is why I volunteer at my local shelter & lobby for animals in Albany.