N.Y. Governor Wants to Ban Horse-Drawn Carriages

Written by PETA | December 17, 2009
3.bp.blogspot / CC
David Paterson

“These animals are kept in stables that are too small, often they’re cold, they work long hours and they don’t have time off. … There was a horse about three months ago that got his foot caught on a parking meter and had to be destroyed—it’s awful. You know, it looks nice when you go to the park and see a horse-drawn carriage, but unless there is some way to care for these horses properly, and it doesn’t appear that there is, I think we should ban it completely.”

—New York Governor David Paterson

In the wise words of Alicia Keys, “Let’s hear it for New York!” With this gubernatorial compassion and Bethenny Frankel’s scorching new ad, I’ve never been more proud to be a New Yorker—or more inspired tell all my friends in NYC to contact their councilmembers.

Written by Logan Scherer

Comments

• marie-ann sportelli says:

Is anyone listing? Or are these comments a waste of time? Have you seen any changes? of course not!! because no one cares. These beautiful animal will have to endure this abuse for a long long time. GOD don’t let them suffer. punish the one who allows it !!

• Peter says:

Rena is that really the best argument you can come up with? Perhaps it’s you who should be do some research if you did you would know people have advocated animal rights long before even Henry S. Salt’s classic Animals Rights Considered in Relation to Social Progress Salt happily admits in the book. Where are the lies Rena? Salt and Shaw hardly hid their ethical socialist beliefs in fact they were quite rightly proud to be socialists. Does the fact that Salt and Shaw were socialists mean Peta or any animal rights group for that matter is socialist? of course not. One thing we can agree on Rena you do need to wake up.

• Kimberly Hawthorne says:

I totally agree! Is there away we can have some mercy for these poor animals here in Chicago. It is truly animal abuse! HELP!

• rena says:

The current animal rights activism is not the kindness to animals it pretends to be. It is right out of the playbook of Fabian socialism. To understand this issue you need to research H.S. Salt George Bernard Shaw Sidney and Beatrice Webb. Peter Singer of Princeton is another one to research. We need to wake up and see the lies.

• Jackie says:

I’d be interested to know if anyone behind the ban has any idea of what the flipside is of all the abuse stories? I drove a carriage for many years in central Illinois. The horses were well fed had large stalls automatic waterers personal fans large turnouts and pastures. They got baths before every gig and regular rubdowns. The horses would come up to me in the field and backed willingly into to shafts. Their ears perked neck arched and they pranced like parade horses. Cars would pull over to let us pass and all jobs were preplanned routes to insure the safety of everyone. Nothing is 100 but it was safer than walking downtown. Not everyone is a corrupt abusive neglectful felon. We were proud of the horses we drove and would have put our own lives on the line to protect their health and happiness. Has anyone considered what will happen to all the working horses if this passes? They won’t be turned out to pasture in the hills of Tennessee. It will probably result in their death. There may be a lucky few that find homes. The carriage people I know usually only have a small number of horses and each of those may work 4 or 5 hours a week in good weather. Don’t lump us all together just because the bigger cities won’t take the time or energy to keep the animals safe. Horses are our connection to the past responsible for the success of this country. They LIKE working having something to do as do seeing eye dogs or barn cats. Should we say no animal should ever have to work? People can find instances of abuse in practically everything if they look. All within reason. Don’t throw the baby out with the bathwater.

• catherine j fusco says:

Since “Bloombergs” Ban on smokingthus diminishing the many patrons from the very city he claims to lovebusinesses have lost money!It is not because people care about our lungsworry more rethe global pollution!Bloomberg said “horsecarraige” is a “Tradition” I asked him..”is “abusealso a “Tradition?”Migrants keeping horse in space so small horse couldn’t move!Camera’s fell on the stablewhere horse sat in dung!Horses had just diedhad to be shot because “Bloomberg” ignored the “safetyrails”!!Indulgence can wait!I can live without the ride! you look at those poor horses being kept by the most saddistic “horse stable” keepersventing their ignorance on torturing horsesso they cannot movewhile “stableguy” closed doors on camera’s? Bloomberg never opened them again!No Inspection?Thank you “Pink”Bethany”the HonorableChristine Quinn a Gov. we can be proud ofalso the Great City of NewYorkGod Bless Gov.David Paterson!Not a coward!

• Tamra says:

Jay Horses pulling carriages in NYC is completely cruel. Please explain how it is NOT cruel having horses on the streets of NYC. You are conveniently leaving out the NYC factor of your proposal. Yes I grew up around horses too in the country!! Mel there you go again being all short minded. What about the number of people that have been hurt by accidents involving horse carriages?? What about those numbers?? Don’t you think that’s just a little more important than the small number of people employed in such a profession? Those are facts you’re not going to like but there is a bigger picture here. Geesh.

• Jay from Ottawa says:

wow leave it to people to blow things out of proportion… Horses pulling carriages isn’t cruel I’m sorry but no it is not. What IS cruel are the conditions under which they are kept. What’s cruel is the fact that they aren’t given time to rest. What’s cruel is their poor management and poor health. I spent allot of time around horses growing up and I can claim with upmost certainty that a horse treated like a friend is happy to help their human counterpart. They enjoy attention and like being helpful. So why ban horse carriages because their owners aren’t treating the animals properly. Keep your eye on the ball and don’t get distracted by emotion. I’d simply pass a law that if you’re going to use animals as labor as is the case with horse carriages that the horses must be pampered kept in above standard condition fed nutrisious food and given time to rest while out on the job just like we would expect for a fellow human being. If that costs too much then get out of the horse carriage business and let horse lovers take it over.

• carla says:

Mel you sound like such an ignorant human being!! Using animals in any way is wrong. These people can get a job anywhere!!!!!!! This will get banned.

• ANIMAL SITE HERE says:

Well jenn.. seems how this is an animal welfare site then i think the animals are the first concern… on a HUMAN abuse site then humans would be their first concern..see the pattern forming here??? we all have concerns about every living thing on this planet but if u hadnt noticed this particular site is called peta wich relates to ANIMALS. and yes on this site we try to save horses ect.. I wouldnt go to the nspcc site and ask why they arent saving dogs n cats me thinks your on the wrong site love.

• David says:

Mel… you on drugs? There are like 20 people running these abusecarriages… they can find other jobs. This is an advantage to this gov… not a disadvantage! No one in NYC uses them anyways… people from out of town do… I’m sure they want them gone too. How are they even fun???? Cars blazing by you all the time honking horns messing up traffic. That horse goes through hell. Animal abuses abuse humans too Mel. For a gov to focus on animal abuse is an amazing quality for a gov. that is being highly respected by many.

• Marek Zada says:

I do not think it is a solution better the conditions for them instead. Banning you put them slaughterhouses directly. I am not from US grew up with horses around they need their work too otherwise they get sad and later cunning.

• Leah says:

i agree ban the carriages i was in new york and they looked so sad i about cried

• Jacob says:

Finally someone sticks up for the little guy. im tired of people hurting animals

• Nicki says:

I hate horse drawn carriages! I agree horse drawn carriages should be banned if they dont treat the horses better!

• David Kennedy Polanco says:

I hope the Gov. succeeds in banning horse drawn carriages as a New York City Manhattan resident it is heart breaking and disgusting to travel past those poor horses a smear on this great city I call home!

• Liisa says:

This is fantastic news! ..Though I wonder if this rule would also apply to the Amish folks out in the country.. p

• Brad says:

This is great news. I LOVE NY!! Meldrug dealers need to feed their families too. You can’t use that as an excuse to cause pain and suffering.

• jenn says:

Please save the horses lets look over the rapes murders the countless women and children beaten to death by abusers the homeless that die by the hundreds over the course of the winter and the gang violence.but we need to save the poor horses give me a break lets get a sense of priorities shall we

• Mitzi says:

I applaude the good Gov. Patterson has the compassion for the horse!

• Susie says:

Okay those of you who live in other cities where the government allows this type of animal abuse or ANY animal abuse…. Now it’s time to spread the word about what the governor of New York State wants to see outlawed and why. Every single city can and should ban horsedrawn carriages. It’s easier than some are allowing it to be. Let’s do something GOOD for at least some of our voiceless friends folks! So contact YOUR state’s officials too please. Please?

• emma says:

mel.. people earn a living at ringlings disgusting circus so shall people turn a blind eye to that too just because those cruel bastards have kids to feed at home…. i think not and i think these horses shouldnt have to suffer anymore either. if people wanna earn money theres plenty of jobs that dont include being cruel to animals some are just too damn lazy to find one.

• Maureen says:

Spot on Governor!

• Saucy says:

Good news Governor Patterson. Please take those abused beasts off the streets of NYC. It is so heartbreaking to see them out there everyday. It is another negative thing about living in the city for people with a conscience. That and all those awful fur coats on the backs of those mindless women.

• Bluebell says:

Well said Gov. Paterson! I hope the rest of the council support his views. Paris and London have done it already so there’s no reason it shouldn’t be banned in New York.

• Jorge says:

I’m not a fan of Patterson…but he’s finally using his noddle on this one

• Jill says:

I am so grateful to hear that NY has a compassionate reasonable and conscientious mayor. Now why is it it’s not a done deal if the mayor wants to ban it? What’s the process? Let’s get this done!

• Courtney says:

Omg this is so amazing. I hope they pass a law to help.

• roxanne says:

Mel The end doesn’t justify the means. IF I can gain a living wit Child prostitution then does it make it right. Those horses live and work in CRUEL conditions. IT needs to end now.

• Viviana says:

Good job Governor Paterson! Its about time someone said something about those poor horses living condition in NYC.

• Kathy says:

This is good news! Horse drawn carriages should be banned. And I am glad that someone with “power and authority” has a heart for animals. Compassion makes the man. This is good!

• Mel says:

Won’t happen too many people depend on that for a job and it also affects the economy. I agree there are ways for them to treat horses better however there will never if this governor wants to STAY governor of his people be a banning of horses. People’s livelihoods are usually the more important issue and governors and congressmen are more concerned about themselves long term than animals. You may not no I know you will not like those facts but they ARE facts.

• roxanne says:

Yes we do have a compassionate Governor. Too bad I can’t say the same for Mayor Bloomberg. Bloomberg has no compassion

• Tom says:

He’s a governor with no chance of winning reelection. Unless he does it quickly it won’t happen. And I don’t think he will. Too many tourists like the carriage rides.

• Phyllis O'Reilly says:

Way to go Governor Paterson. Thanks for showing some humanity at a time most of our elected officials show little.

• emma says:

How come these people dont see ringling in the same way and speak out about closing that hideous place down????

• Gabby Wolfe says:

Hearing this is amazing I have put NY on the top of my list for my next holiday … Horse drawn carriages are inhumane and are a huge cost to police and monitor do the Horses and the taxpayers the biggest favor and put an end to it…

• Tiffany says:

I 100 AGREE!!! Lets do this Gov Paterson!! Thank you for caring!

• kerri corrigan says:

This is gross and I hate it..no more horses should live like this!!

• Marie says:

Please make adifference in the Life of Animals !! Be their VOICE !

• dave says:

This is great news! Now if we can only get King Bloomberg to agree! I volunteer with a group that’s spreading the word on this horrendous industry. So many people are against it yet the industry continues.

• Brien Comerford says:

It’s high time to ban these inhumane exploitive and garish horse carriages.

• NT says:

Great news! I’ve always dreaded the sight of horsedrawn carriages. I was in Chicago a few years ago and it broke my heart. I swore I’d never visit another city that has horsedrawn carriages so I’m waiting for the ban to visit NYC!!!

• Shari says:

I LOVE NEW YORK! GOOD FOR HIM!

• katherine buckley says:

read all b4 you comment please i dont think yo should ban them u should just improve the living conditions and maybe hire people who know what theyre doing

• Cindy says:

I am glad that he is actually looking into this issue. it’s not just us people that need help. it’s animals too. they don’t have voices so we have to speak up for them.

• Hassie says:

Yay Big Apple!I’ve always loved NY and this makes me even prouder. A compassionate politician amazing! What a glaring contrast to some other states’ leadership. I hope this passes with flying colors!

• Cris Smothers says:

It’s awful to see the horrible conditions of the horses in New Orleans too.

• Tara Devlin says:

Thank God NY finally has a governor with some actual sense. These poor horses in NYC and thousands before them have suffered and died as a slave to this ridiculous tourist spectacle.