Natalie Portman Fakes It!

Written by PETA | November 7, 2007

Here’s what Natalie Portman told The Sun last week when she was asked about her refusal to wear leather for a role:

“I’m an animal lover and I’ve been a vegetarian for 17 years. I won’t wear leather in my own life and I won’t wear it for a movie either. They have to make me clothes from fake leather.”

I’m still waiting for the right time to let Natalie Portman know the extent and depth of my feelings for her. I’ll let you know how that goes.

AskMen/Creative Commons
Natalie_Portman_no_leather.jpg

Comments

• Leatherrockerjacket1968 says:

It’s great Natalie does not wear leather or eat meat. I have not eaten meat for seventeen years either so I must be a confirmed vegetarian. I also gave up wearing leather jacketscoats etc. However I never gave up wearing leather shoes as the alternatives despite Heather McCartney and other designers stating otherwise. were and still are not good enough. Now my confession five years ago I started motorcycling and really enjoy it. The question was what to wear. I looked at alternatives but leather was the natural choice. So yes I do wear full leathers on a bike and admit I actually enjoy wearing leather. I have even started to wear other leather clothes again eg coats. jackets etc. I see leather as part of my personality and representing who I am. So to those with more fixed and determined ideas than me good luck but despite not eating meat I will continue to enjoy wearing leather!

• Valeria says:

Natalie has a huge heart. thank you Peta forever

• Carol says:

Kellyn You make a lot of excuses for continuing to eat fish and meat. You probably can’t bear to watch the graphic videos right? I had the same problems 34 years ago. Watch the videos watch them until you can’t see a piece of chicken beef lamb or whatever on your plate without hearing the groans and seeing the death throes of whatever you are about to eat. It works really! As time goes by you don’t even like the smell of it cooking. Good luck to you from an oldie.

• Arcelia says:

BIEN POR TI NATALIA! ADEMAS DE BONITA INTELIGENTE Y BUENA ACTRIZ. OJALA Y HUBIERA MAS PERSONAS COMO TU QUE SE PREOCUPAN POR LOS ANIMALES. DESDE MEXICO ARCELIA

• Kim says:

Natalie Portman is a great role model for teenage girls. She is a star in the world of movies fame but she is also a star in the world of animal rights veganism. Go PETA Natalie!

• Kellyn says:

I think Natalie is awesome beauty and brains Harvard educated. I’m an animal lover too and try to limit my intake to veggies and fruit as much as possible however I’ve just never been able to make the transition 100. I love fish and occasionally steak and chicken. I have tried every synthetic product to help get away from it but I can’t seem to 100. Later I always feel guilty especially for the cows after seeing some of the horrible treatment they receive at slaughterhouses… Anyway I DO try as much as possible to stay away from it but I am still guilty of wearing leather shoes… I can’t wear synthetic shoes because it causes allergic reactions to my feet not to mention excessive sweating and then the stinkies… So what do you do?

• Lori says:

That is so great that she has her standards and is standing up for what is right. I have always loved her and now I do even more.

• Vicki says:

Chimpanzees can build and use tools. Crows can build and use tools. The construction and use of tools does not mean that one species is “higher” than the other and will win in battle.

• Caboose (Combine Slayer) says:

Mike .303 British Service? Cool FactIn WWI the US adopted a variant of the Lee Enfield and rechambered it for .3006 rounds. To designate US version from British The rifles had a bright red stripe on them to prevent the infantry from loading the US rifles with .303 British Service rounds.

• Caboose (Combine Slayer) says:

Right Mike. The reason we are able to adapt and think at a higher caliberheh get it is because the qualities of an efficient predator were sacrifised for it.

• Mike Quinoa says:

Caboose That’s sorta my point. Without our tools we physiologically would only be able to capture and kill fruits and vegetables and maybe the odd insect which is of course a life form. I did use 303′s I believe? for target practice in Air Cadets swisscheesing paper products.

• Caboose (Combine Slayer) says:

But Mike Sorry. I was only implying that we as humans are able to oppose any animal due to our ability to think adapt and build tools to help us. So um sorry. Just because I know firearms doesnt make me a hunter. I dont use any model of artillery or deck gun.

• Cassandra Bohman says:

She is now my role model. She definitely has it all. Beauty personality love for animals and is a GREAT actress.

• Mike Quinoa says:

Caboose It was more a general comment on our ineptness as predators if we were without our insert model of gun hereyou know them a lot better than I do.

• Caboose (neutral, blue army. Blood Gulch Outpost Alpha) says:

Mike ….also Im not a hunter

• Caboose (neutral, blue army. Blood Gulch Outpost Alpha) says:

Mike Indian instincts.

• Mike Quinoa says:

Caboose If you put down your rifle and went into the forest what animals would you be capable of first catching and then killing and eating being at the “top” of the food chain and all?

• heather marks says:

Oh Natalie. I love you and all of the cows you won’t wear.

• Andrew says:

She’s perfect.

• Caboose (neutral, blue army. Blood Gulch Outpost Alpha) says:

Mike WE ARE apex predators. A lion doesnt have firearms or wit. It has instinct which tears you apart but there are tools for defense against this.

• Ray-O says:

Um… but you forgot. I’m not human.

• Kelly says:

I would like to see Judith “take down” a cow. With what GOD GIVEN tools? Razor sharp teeth or talons? Oh that is right we don’t have those.

• Caboose (neutral, blue army. Blood Gulch Outpost Alpha) says:

Hey its Queen Amidala!

• Mike Quinoa says:

RayO if you’re “on top of the food chain” why don’t you get in a cage with a lion. I think Ms. Lion would beg to differ. Bon apptit.

• Ana says:

Cows are not for eating any more than humans are meant for eating by cannibals. All humans need to get off the flesh kick and try a large dose of compassion. Eating cadavers is barbaric. Wear your own damn skin!

• Tori James says:

Natalie Portman is amazing. She inspired me to become a vegetarian. Although I’m not able to be a full vegan she still helped me make the decision. She is my idol! I love her movies and everything about her. She is an amazing woman. Tori

• stasya says:

im basically in love

• Ray-O says:

Now I’m against fur but those cows are for eating and it would be bad to waste its skin. If I’m a predator on top of the food chain then I’d better take advantage of the situation and use it to clothe myself. I have no compassion for that cow because predators don’t have compassion for cows.

• Judith, Freedom Fighter says:

Good luck Jack. You and Natalie would be a great couple. She has always been such a beautiful and kind person. She really has a beautiful heart.

• Giacomo Russo says:

Since many years Natalie Portman is my favorite actress because she has everything elegance beauty style intelligence and a BIG LOVING HEART FOR ANIMALS! Can’t wait to see her next movie!!!

• Carla says:

Thats taking a stand and sticking to it way too go!!