Naked Mother-to-Be Helping Pigs

Written by PETA | February 28, 2008

In England, they do Mother’s Day differently (i.e., they actually celebrate it on the right date). And with Mothering Sunday coming up across the pond, PETA Europe have put together an incredibly striking demonstration to draw attention to the horrible suffering of mother pigs in gestation crates. My friend Alexia has the full story over on her blog Fish & Chimps, but here’s a quick look at the amazing demonstration that’s been getting tons of coverage for pigs abused on factory farms.

Naked_Mothers_day_demonstration.jpg

Comments

• Brandon Becker says:

FreeRange and Organic Meat Eggs and Dairy Products Conning Consumers? httpwww.peta.orgmcfactsheetdisplay.asp?ID96 Excerpt From the freerange hen who smells fresh air for the first time on her way to the slaughterhouse to the humanely raised dairy cow whose male calf is taken from her and sold to veal farmers all animals who are raised for food suffer. The only truly humane option is to choose vegan alternatives to meat eggs and dairy products. Call 1888VEGFOOD or visit GoVeg.com to order a free vegetarian starter kit that contains information on faux meat alternatives to eggs and vegan cheese.

• Kurt K says:

Darwin said it best. “Survival of the fittest”

• Anonymous says:

I am becoming more vegetarian all the time due to things I read about the torture and torment of all slaughtered animals. I don’t eat pork as it is not good for the body is fatladen and often contains bacteria. No animal should suffer at the hands of a human being. They are at our mercy and often mankind takes advantage of that. These pigs are being mistreated in my opinion and for the purpose of feeding people who often are being “piggish” themselves. However I think this woman is going to far. We get the point. I’m sorry but she looks disgusting.

• Sorry Dude says:

I wonder if she was prepared for the reality that some pervs are just going to think that’s really hot.

• Mike Quinoa says:

Kurt No we shouldn’t make them suffer in the first place.

• Paul says:

Jessica clearly meant that usually pigs have no room whatsoever to move when they are transported. She was highlighting their plight. As in well done but is it me or was she able to move her neck in that cage? It’s called sarcasm SARCASM. She is highlighting that pigs are kept in no room. Blimey this is why some people disagree with how PETA act. Poor Jessica has stood up for your very opwn beliefs and you guys have shot her down. She is highlighting herself the very things you are talking about and your minds are so blinkered you react like that. Wouldn’t surprise me if you lost a PETA member due to that. Ridiculous.

• Ron Chee says:

She’s bold brave and VERY CUTE! I am not a PETA fan by any means but she now has a fan club for sure!

• Tina says:

So happy to see this. I’m a vegetarian for 2+ weeks now and I feel great about my decision after viewing the horror pics on meat.org I will never eat any kind of meat again! xoxo

• Kurt K says:

Mike I guess we should stop the suffering before we eat them?

• Desiree says:

im very proud of her..that is really brave and she is a very beautiful mommy to be..i know when i was pregnant i wouldnt have been able to do that!

• Mike Quinoa says:

Kurt I’m glad that you’re in agreement that pigs suffer.

• Kurt K says:

Better after six months than letting it live for 12 years. That way it won’t suffer as long.

• Anonymous says:

i wanna see her naked and up close.shes hot.oh btw way bravo

• Erica says:

chris guess what their sole purpose isn’t too feed us. or it shouldn’t be. their lives are just as important to them as ours are to us. they suffer and feel pain just like us. why should they be used to feed a people that are grossly over weight and dying from diseases like cancer and heart disease because they are eating diseased and sickly animal flesh?

• Mike Quinoa says:

Alex I suppose slaughtering an animal that can live for 12 years after 6 months is for the animal’s benefit too.

• Mia says:

Brilliant! RESPECT!!

• Tsau-mia says:

I know friends that raise pigs on their farms small family owned farms not the big corporate ones and they say that pigs DO generally lie down quickly on their young. In the wild the same thing happens and that’s why wild animals have a lower survival rate unless they are raised for food of course than captive animals. Although I prefer my meat to be free range and fed healthy foods for two reasons. One it’s nice for the animal. Two it ensures leaner meat and more meat on the animal. The healthy foods make it so that whatever the animal eats is essentially what you eat. I prefer grain fed beef. I don’t eat pork for health reasons.

• Clare says:

Jason. I totally understand where you are coming from. Why should we care about how we treat the food we are eating? I personally do not eat meat but the rest of my family do. They care that the animals are treated humanely preferably allowed to free range. Animals should be treated well because they do feel fear and discomfort. If you must eat meat please consider free range.

• Alex says:

Wow! I am amazed at the number of uninformed people out there. Quick show of hands on how many of you grew up on a farm or have any ties to agriculture. I hope you realized that we are doing things like crates for the benefit of the animals involved. Mortality numbers are proven to be lower in crates compared to free fanging pigs. You’re telling me you would have a dead pig than an uncomfortable one. Good thinking people.

• joanna says:

Great PR campaign…very effective. The pigs are not in the ‘gestation’ crate for birthing….its just for gestation. 4 months of torture before birthing. For birthing they are more isolated and confined in a way so they can give birth. Gestation crates are used becasue it takes less human care to manage the momma pigs that way…less labor is more profit. Also if the mommas are allowed to roam they burn energy that might be used to produce bigger piglets. Bigger piglets means faster to grow up to slaughter size to make a profit quickly. Factory farms are cruel just to make money…no other reason. There is no precident in traditional farming for what is now considered industry standard in raising pigs cows and chickens. Real farmers managed cooperatively with their animals. Factory farms elimnate real farms by making procucts cheaper. Give the pig a nice big area and she will mostly raise a bunch of healthy piglets just as nature intended. Another issue related is selective breeding for meat. Factory Pigs are bred for meat production … not mothering skills. Real farmers watch the herd and when they find a momma with excellent mothering skills they use her for their breeding program instead of bacon. They also use her daugthers for breeding. Then the farmer can trust the momma pigs to watch out for their babies. The father pig is selected for desirable meat production. In factory farms no care is given for the temperment or treatment of the animals…just how much bacon their makin. Factory farms make cheap meat and lots of it. BTW save a pig eat a sprout!

• hmmmm says:

It is not realistic becuase she should have her excrement all over the place to properly convey the message.

• RAINBOW WARRIOR says:

Chris the reason why we have to help these poor pigs is exactly because unfortunately a great number of human beings thinks that pigs are just on this planet to stuff their meatgreedy bellies! but pigs are very intelligent animals with a right to live like any other creatures! it’s the insane brains of homo sapiens demens who led us as far as putting these smart creatures to death in such an awful cruel and criminal way! the ill persuasions of a majority don’t mean that they are right but insane! it always depends on the standpoint of someone! while some people make their kingdom out of tortured animal corpses me i shall never understand how it is possible to eat a living being who woke up in the morning with the same joy for life in his heart for the rising day!

• Judith, Freedom Fighter for Animals says:

I don’t know how many have heard about success in Calif we need it after what happened in Chino. For the last year Animal Activists and many others have waged to bring an end to Veal crates Gestation crates and Battery cages it now looks like we are on the Nov. 2008 ballot. We needed to gather a little over 400000 signatures we were able to gather 800000. We had signing party’s in our state and goodness how people signed. For the animal activists this is already a Historic event. All other states are watching and many people in disgust. Please read about this on Farmsanctuary.org And start planning. This is a beginning. Peace!

• Mike Quinoa says:

Kelle The sows are in a farrowing crate when they nurse their piglets and then they are confined again in a gestation crate during their repeated pregnanciesin other words no freedom of movement at all. Makes one wonder how pigs in the wild manage to nurse their young without squashing them. “This practice is so barbaric that gestation crates have been banned in Florida the U.K. and Sweden and will be banned in the European Union in 2013.” Chris I don’t eat meat but I hope most who do would want an animal to be raised as humanely as possible. From your viewpoint the pig is being raised for food from the pig’s standpoint she is trying to enjoy her unbeknownsttoher short life. Animals do have their own selfinterests and motivations apart from what humans have planned for them.

• Spider says:

My guess is that “Concerned” “Jason” “Curtis”and “Kelle” all work for the meat industry. I actaully saw a gestation crate onceand they’re really small.The person even told me it was a gestation crateand actaully put a sow in there.The sow hardly had any room to turn around in.It’s really easy for people in the meat industry to lie and fool people into believing that the pigs are treated nicely and have plenty of room to move around in.Then the meat industry sits back and laughs at those who are actually gullible enough to fall for their lies.

• alison says:

Michele That was not nice way to react to someone’s question. What’s your problem? Jessica Jenna’s answer is correct the article at the top links to an article on gestation crates with pictures. Warning the pictures are very disturbing. They show how little room these pigs have and the serious results.

• Chris says:

Can someone tell me why we should care about pigs in captivity if their sole purpose is to feed humans?

• Jason says:

For the nieve blogger titled as “ananymous” and anyone else that thinks that these crates are nessecary to keep momma sows from squishing their babes. If they would give them ample room to move around in they wouldnt have to worry about that happening. Mr.Anonymous is in the majority in the business world unfortunatly of people who see this as logical because it might cost more money to be compassionate give the pigs some breathing room. “So hey lets pack em in like sardines!” Great philosiphy.

• kelle says:

umm the crate is actually better than having the sow loose with her piglets. Sows often lay down suddenly without making sure her piglets are out of her way so many many piglets would be killed if it werent for the crates. Also the pigs arent kept in them for too long just long enough for the piglets to grow a little so they were able to move out of the way of the mother more quickly when she went to lay down

• Curtis says:

WOW How brave! Great demo!

• Judith, Freedom Fighter for Animals says:

Such a brave brave lady. Bless her heart.

• Anonymous says:

sexy….

• Maureen says:

That lovely lady has given me a little bit more hope for our species.

• animalfriend says:

this is strong and astonishingly similar to our abused brothers the animals’ situation! i think that this one shall really have an impact on some braindead meatsuckers!

• Anonymous says:

Ahhh the uninformed. I guess thats a correct label for all of you. The reason for the crate is so the mother doesn’t harmkill her young accidently by laying on them. So how do you factor that in smart people. I urge you all to get the facts before you start claiming allegations.

• Concerned says:

I tried to put a sweater on my cat and she HATED IT! So I think the naked thing was way out of hand.

• Kris Shulfer says:

Once again I am surprised at the talented work of whomever thought of this idea… some have said this is too far i do not agree. it makes you want to figure out why a naked pregnant women is in a crate??? now you got the picture? PETA has taught me so much and this ad I am sure will open many eyes as usual!! Great Work!!

• Anonymous says:

i wish more people could see this it has opened my eyes to this problem.

• Amber Falobas says:

WOW! That is amazing keep up the good work!

• Courtney says:

Brilliant idea. Kudo’s to the woman for being so brave. Gestation crates are sickening.

• George Sterpka says:

It seems to have the best effect when we put these cruelties into a human context. I wonder how it feels to be skinned alive? I doubt we could get any volunteers for that one.

• lynda downie says:

She sure is I agree Canaduck.

• Jenna says:

Jessica the crate might be the same as a sow’s gestation crate. The difference is the perspective sows can weigh upwards of 900 pounds whereas this woman probably weighs 150.

• Michele says:

Jessica is that ALL you can say about this??? Since you are being so fing picky take a look at where her hands are placed there is no way she could put them any further apart and since they are directly below her shoulders that means she has no room to turn around! Fortunately for the animals’ sakes I think that MOST people who see this will get the point and won’t be trying to delude themselves into thinking that this is an acceptable life for these pigs. Huge kudos to this brave dedicated woman! I hope that the people who think that only skinny modeltype girls are “allowed” to protest will see this…

• Paige says:

Wow this is great… She is so brave i could never do that. I guess you do whatever it takes to stand up for what you believe in.

• Canaduck says:

Wow she is really brave.

• Jessica says:

Isn’t the demonstration crate a little big compared real ones? Maybe the angle but it looks like she’s got enough room to move around in there if she wants to.

• Flora James says:

Too bad we can’t force every celebrity and rich person who has ever worn fur skins leather or wool or eaten meat or had a glass of milk to participate in such a spectackle!

• stephane Leclair says:

Bravo ! thumb way up! it takes courage to do this and it does attract people’s attention on what millions of poor and abused motherpigs endure in even smaller crates than what we actually see on this picture…the pigs can’t even move in these totally inhumane crates…it should be illegal and forbidden to use such things in the meat industry. visit http://www.savebabe.com print leaflets on your computer and give them to friends….speak for the animals who can’t speak for themselves and do depend on people who care a little about them. just do it…you’ll feel better and pigs might do too because of YOU!

• Carla says:

Opps seee while I put my index finger over my mouth!! Thats what I did when I first saw this picture! More power to ya!