More Than Meats the Eye

Written by PETA | June 23, 2009

The following is a guest post from peta2’s Marta.

I’m pretty excited about the release of Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen tomorrow, since word on the street is that the movie has a positive animal rights message in it. There’s even a scene set in a butcher shop, where Megan Fox’s and Shia Labeouf’s characters learn that every animal you eat had a story. We hear them on that.

In honor of the release of the movie, we’re transforming the classic Transformers tagline into “More Than Meats the Eye” for the title of our top-five list that takes a closer look at the meat industry. Most people never take an up-close look at the food they’re eating. I mean, seriously, who wants to think about their food actually looking like this (even though it does)?

Click for larger image
Mystery_Meat.JPG

Want seconds of this fatty blob of nastiness? *Shudder!* Anyway, here are the top five foods that I think are “More Than Meats the Eye”:

1. Jell-O: How does Jell-O stay firm but wiggly? You can thank gelatin (aka the ground-up skin, intestines, and bones of animals) for that jiggle. Who doesn’t like bones in their fruity snacks?
  2. Hot Dogs: These are made from mechanically recovered meat, which Wikipedia describes as, “a paste-like meat product produced by forcing beef, pork, turkey or chicken bones, with attached edible meat, under high pressure through a sieve or similar device to separate the bone from the edible meat tissue.” If you’re in the mood for tails, bones, and anuses topped with relish at a ball game, steer clear of the veggie dogs, since they’re mostly just made of plain ol’ boring soy protein.
  3. Milk: Pus doesn’t exactly conjure up the most pleasant of images, but if the idea of a tall frosty glass of pus sounds good to you, by all means, feel free to down a glass of milk. That’s right, milk can legally contain a somatic cell count (that’s pus, people) of up to 200 million per liter.
  4. Twinkies: Where does that fatty flavor come from? Beef fat, of course! Sponge cake + creamy filling + cow fat = the classic truck-stop snack. Yum.
  5. Cheese: Rennet, found in many cheeses, comes from the stomach lining of slaughtered calves. I personally try to avoid baby cow stomach on my nachos, but maybe that’s just me.

Do some of these sound a bit … unappetizing? Try vegan versions! Grab soy milk the next time you hit the grocery store or give a homemade snack cake a whirl. You can still enjoy all the flavors you love while cutting out the cruelty and crap!

Which foods do you think are “More Than Meats the Eye”?

Written by Marta Holmberg

Comments

• Agatha says:

You keep it up now, undertsnad? Really good to know.

• Hyou says:

vomits yuck It’s better I disn’t see that. but people who arn’t vegan should!

• oceanworior says:

soy milk is made from soy beans and nothing else. they are completely vegan

• SRowland says:

Sola the rules are very different here in the US. And the rules for organic milk are very different from what they try tofeed our kids at school. They have to do somthing with the crap that’s leftover after slaughter so they put it in everythinglike gelatin. And of course you can’t get rid of those factories people’s families would starve. As far as I’m concerned that’s their bad karma when they put money 1st!

• Ariel says:

eeewwww. I’m so glad I’m Veg. GROSS. And yes milk is allowed that way and there are many topics in the peta forums about all the “biological” stuff. Even one from europe states that its all a lie. Blood is also allowed in milk… eeewwww. whats worse than a nice tall cold glass of blood and puss???

• Georgia S. says:

wow now im really happy i dont eat meat! that is discusting!

• Brien Comerford says:

The idyllic and original diet of man was vegan. Genesis 129. Hindus Jains and Seventh Day Adventists especially concur.

• matt says:

wait doesnt soy milk have those crushed beatle shells?? or something like that?

• Shawna Flavell says:

cindy haas You should check out our Action Center for tons of ways to get involved httpwww.peta.orgactioncenterindex.asp.

• oceanworior says:

biologic? you cant always beleve what it says on the package. pasturising is not fullprof like people think. in order to keep the texture they do keep in puss and liquid fat.

• Jose says:

I’m glad you keep us up to date by this way

• Crystal says:

ew that’s just sick! thanks for letting me know though.

• Sola says:

All of that is of course gross but milk for instance is not allowed that way if it’s got a “bio”stamp on it at least in most european countries. Also most gelatin is not always made fromanimalsubstances anymore. All in al you can be sure not to eat anything that “delicious” if you only buy biologic stuff! The rules are quite strict in that area!!!

• Lianne says:

That picture is a close up of something that came out of a sausage. I’m so glad I don’t eat animals.

• roxanne says:

bleh how gross I am so happy to be vegan

• cindy haas says:

Hi I would love to know how I can help like sending emails or letters? I wish I could donate funds but I am on total disability and have limited funds. Thanks Cindy Haas