Lady Gaga’s Meat Dress

Written by PETA | September 13, 2010

Last night, Lady Gaga tried once again to shock the world, this time by wearing a “meat dress” during her acceptance of the Video of the Year award at MTV’s Video Music Awards. Lately, Lady Gaga has been having a hard time keeping her act “over the top.” Wearing a dress made out of cuts of dead cows is offensive enough to bring comment, but someone should whisper in her ear that there are more people who are upset by butchery than who are impressed by it—and that means a lot of young people will not be buying her records if she keeps this stuff up. On the other hand, maybe it was fake and she’ll talk about that later. If not, what’s next: the family cat made into a hat? Meat is the decomposing flesh of a tormented animal who didn’t want to die, and after a few hours under the TV lights, it would smell like the rotting flesh it is and likely be crawling in maggots—not too attractive, really. The stunt is bringing lots of people to PETA.org to download a copy of our vegetarian/vegan starter kit, so I guess we should be glad.

A wonderful side note to mention, Ellen DeGeneres (who is vegan herself), presented Gaga with a veggie bikini and suggested she try that next time she wants to make a statement. Thanks, Ellen!

Written by Ingrid E. Newkirk

Comments

• Melinda says:

This is hideous and barbaric!!! I don’t understand why in the world rotting cow corpse is now “Lady” Ga Ga’s new fashion statement. Wow that’s desperate. What about some new nailpolish or earrings not decaying corpses? What cows died so that she could get some press? And she’s so antifur. Well the bad news is that meat and fur really go hand in hand. They’re both the torture and murder of innocent creatures. It just depends on if it’s for food or fashion. Now she has taken what is used by the unenlightened for food and made it into fashion! This is beyond me.

• david says:

whats so wrong with meat? without it our country may have never survived the pioneer days! i want to eat her up! num num num num!!

• Daniel says:

As a huge meat eater i find the comments very interesting. First i would imagine that a good chunk of you werent fans of her anyway so being disgusted by her now and losing a potential listener isnt really going to affect her very much. Second i love comments about her affront to your community. Based on your comments me walking into McDonalds is an affront to your community so I dont see the anger. Third people being gross out by wearing meat will make people think not eating it. Well I love broccoli but i would be grossed out wearing a suit made out of broccoli. I love gravy but i wouldnt want it swim in it either. Finally in theory there is no difference in wearing leather or meat lets be honest leather not just the skin of an animal it has been processed and worked on until it produces a beautiful material that can be worked on and feels and smells nice. Meat and vegetables over time do decay and start to smell. And if were to cut my leg and put in under the sun for while it would also smell. I want to keep my leg and I want to keep my meat

• anonymous says:

Ingrid Ingrid Ingrid. What shall we do without you? Or more appropriately what CAN’T we do without you? Your organization likes to portray itself as something of a benefit to society always looking out for the sad defenseless animals we so hatefully take advantage of. But really Ingrid you and your organization just come off as outlandish. Granted wearing a dress made entirely of beef cuts is a little bit on the outlandish side too but that is just part of Lady Gaga’s persona. She is supposed to be outlandish you PETA are supposed to be credible and logical. Can you be so thick to believe that Lady Gaga’s fanbase will actually stop buying her records over what she wore at an awards show? It is beliefs like this one that make your organization look like a bunch of ignorant fools trying to clutch at that final piece of straw. Now I know this will not likely pass approval so I might as well put this to you…. Do you think the human race evolved thrived and grew by merely eating fruits and vegetables? Can you not see the important role that meat has had on our civilization? Don’t be so blind.

• MADISEN(MAD HAT MADI) says:

I Love lady gaga to death and I am such a big fan. I was watching the VMA’S in saport of the “new age Maddana”. I cheered when I heard that Lady Gaga won best video of the yearBut soon came to relieze the horiffic piece of meat covering her body. All I could think of “I really hope thats fake and shes going to come out with a statment saying meat is murdror fur is like wearing flesh”. This really puzzled me when I remembered when she wore that curmet the frog dress and she said ” I dont wear fur its like wearing a bunch of dead curmets all over you”. I am still a fan but am hurtand hope that she reliezes that what she did was ofensive and ronge. MadisenMad Hat Madi

• GaGaCrz says:

Has anyone READ the above link?? why she chose the “meat”?? This IMO is no different than having naked women walk AROUND splattered in ANIMAL blood. Lady GaGa made a statemnet AGAINST cruelty and not to be treated as “meat”. Women in particular…. I mean “raw” meat would decay and smell fall off and people would refuse her. C’mon. Please SOMEONE TELL ME THAT LADY GAGA DIDNT HELP PETA’S FIGHT AGAINST CRUILTY FOR “ALL” ANIMALS ??? BECAUSE SHE DID. THAT IS SO CLEAR!!!!!! I commend her brazen attitude…..

• Beth Ann Perrone says:

I think it’s gross but so is wearing leather which is pretty much the same thing. I thought she was a vegetarian??? Didn’t she request Smart Dogs in her green room or something?

• Lincoln says:

lol this is great. i mean why not wear a dress made out of meat when you’re done wearing it you can eat it. NOM NOM NOM

• Joe says:

she has explained why she wore it.. but to me even as a huge fan i’m very disappointed and to me she’s really ignorant sorry for my english i’m french vegan hehe D

• Tiffany Adams says:

She admitted the dress was fake and every element about the outfit was fake. It was supposed to be a viewpoint that us members of PETA should have understood but most of us have apparently took it the wrong way. She was trying to send a message out to everyone about meat and about clothing and about the presentation of one’s self. Think about it I think you’ll get what she was trying to get through your thick skulls.

• ana says:

i really doubt it was real meat cause it would get cold we would be able to see at least one string of blood around its not like its comes dry and yes it would smell so no matter where she is she would have flies all around her

• GaGaCrz says:

while i don’t agree with eating red meat since i’m educated on the suffering of the animals. And our “humane” way of “obtaining it”…… fake or not GaGa IS GOING UP IN THIS WORLD. if “anon” doesnt want her tickets ill buy them. a “dress” doesnt change my MIND about Mother Monster…. she IS the best thing thats happened to the music business in years…so I dont like “that” dress???….I STILL LOVE “HER”…. HEY “ANON” WANNA SELL THOSE TICKETS? BET NOT U’D GO JUST LIKE THE REST OF U GUYS THAT BOUGHT HER TICKETS ON THIS SITE……. PEACE

• Cedar Kejick says:

I’m gagaing just looking at these pics. While I never have been a gaga fan this is just disgusting. Seriously if she eats flesh that’s her thing but to cover yourself in the bloody remains of innocent souls!?!? Ugh… If anyone lately needed to be covered in permanent red paint it would be her. I can guarantee I will never be purchasing her albums. Lady Gaga makes me Gag!

• Bridgette says:

The sight of this makes me want to throw up . Her comment that she meant no disrespect to vegans or vegetarians is ludicrous! This is not about disrespect for fellow humans ! Wearing an outfit like this shows a complete lack of respect or compassion for animals. It is nothing short of obscene and an absolute insult to animal species.

• Stacy Cloutier says:

It was absolutely ridiculous and disgusting for her to wear that outfit however I do not think it was real meat because she would contaminate everything she was near and the Health Department would have a fit.

• Ren says:

What’s the big deal with meat wehumans have been eating it for thousands of years. Chickensteak etc has lots of protein and is good for us in moderation. I can understand cruelty to animals and that being wrong but we gotta eat. I wish there was a more humane way to kill animals for food but how do you take a life without it being cruel??

• Danette says:

Truly classless. She does not even deserve to go by the name ‘Lady’ any longer.

• Apollyon says:

This will not have any negative impact on her popularity. People are interested in her because of her ‘shock’ effect. This will merely heighten it. Those of you who dislike her over this likely disliked her already. For the others it will not stop you from listening to her music or reading about her. Sorry but by now you all should know that Hollywood and the Entertainment industry do not have integrity and never did and never will. Don’t worry however. PETA and animal rights etc will be popular again and therefore embraced by the Fashion industry Hollywood and the music industry remember when fur was out…then in again? but…it will then be out again when a new flavour comes along…mind you this applies to the general population as well…

• Curtis says:

I saw it and thought it was so tacky! I was like “Oh no..she’s wearing meat again!” because I was already upset that she wore real raw meat on Vogue Japan. She is gross and always out for attention. She’s always acting and I’m tired of her using gay people as accessories…she exploits gay people and animals and needs to go away.

• charlene says:

I saw the dress and as offensive as it is… I took it as a jab at the people who wear fur.. if you are going to wear fur you might as well wear a meat dress cause there is no difference.

• Jerry says:

Re “It’s pathetic how ‘Lady’ Ga Ga is getting desparate to keep her act fresh ” No more Pathetic than PETA’s shock adds and billboards stating that Santa isn’t coming this year because he drinks milk That’s a nice message for kids Let’s reduce a religious holiday to promote a company’s propanganda!!!. Sorry but the more I read this site the more I realize how terribly biased and scientifically flimsy the information is.

• T says:

laughing at the comment”GOD gave us permission to eat meat”

• VeggieGuy says:

Although I am not a fan of Lady Gaga or her music I think I might have to give her the benefit of the doubt on this one. The dress seemed to be purposely shocking and disgusting. I think it actually was ironic commentary on wearing clothes made out of animal products. Would anyone have made such a big deal if she had worn a leather dress with a leather purse? No because leather doesn’t equate in many peoples’ minds as pieces of animal flesh. However Lady Gaga’s meat dress and purse thrust that in peoples’ faces. So I will give her the benefit of the doubt and think that she was trying to make a point. However if I’m wrong then it just was another desperate attempt by a celebrity at being “shocking” and “outrageous”.

• doris says:

I like the dress its like a comment on fur I know that probably not what she was going for but it makes me think of the old antifur informational were the coats where bleeding

• Arianne says:

The way I see it is that she got people talking about the subject that is a good thing. She has a lot of young followers that will see her dress and know right away its not right. It will get more and more people aware of animal abuse for their hides. It even said in the article PETA is selling more vegan starting kits and word will spread. This article also says they don’t know if its real of fake meat i’m hoping its fake If it is fake why didn’t someone in PETA already do this gag its genius. I’m not a Lady gaga fan but I can see a good outcome out of this bold and probably recluse stunt.

• sandra palmer says:

will never buy a cd again

• Bean says:

To me Lady gaga was someone who stood up for minorites and rights not someone who wears the flesh of an animal. So much for standing up for us Vegans and vegetarians! I hope like me people see sense and boycott her. This is a stunt too far Gaga. its disgusting and I hope you live to regret it. I would also like to Thank PETA for standing up and commenting on the situation you did us proud. Once again.

• Cheryl says:

I will no longer buy her albums. That was a disgusting stunt and totally turned me off to anything related to her.

• Saucy says:

Hang tight Baby! Youth is always Right! …………….John Ford Noonan!

• Pete says:

It’s a shame to see someone so desperate for publicity stoop to this level of offence. Maybe she should really try to impress us by proving she has a brain that works!

• Domino says:

What the hell? Seriously you guys don’t get it? That is not meat plus it’s a statement against fur! What the hell PETA? I came to look at the blog because I thought you would be sending her flowers!

• Zackrie says:

Peta ever think she was making a statement that wearing fur or wearing leather is just the same as wearing a bunch of dead and rotting meat? Those cows were killed before she made the dress…she didn’t kill them to make the dress. But lets face it. She is the biggest star in the world. Her statements go worldwide. Using this dead meat for one HUGE statement was worth it. After all Lady GaGa has a lot more influence than PETA.

• Margo Hershey says:

Lady Ga Ga’s tortured meat outfit only serves to reinforce my decision not to eat flesh. Crawling maggots would have been a nice touch!

• Jessie says:

I thought it was fake at first. But she said in an interview to Ellen I think that it was infact real. Quite disgusting even if it wasn’t real.

• Hayden says:

It’s a fashion statement there are much worse things happening than the couple of pieces of meat that she is wearing. She wanted to make a statement with the dress. If the meat was not used to make a dress out of it it would be in someone’s freezer ready to be prepared as a meal. So I don’t really see the issue. I totally agree with Tamra it’s not more disgusting than leather fur or even eating it.

• W. Mappin says:

C’mon folks. I don’t claim to be omnipotent but doesn’t it seem highly implausible that this was actually real bloody meat? The practicality of real meat staying intact her previously stated views on wearing fur the mess real flesh would leave at the awards center… Doesn’t it seem more likely that Gaga is making a statement against thoughtless animal slaughter? Or at least about the gullibility of people?

• kay says:

Unless Lady GAGA comes forth with some very good explanation she off my listening and buying list. A very talented and seemingly kind person would never do this without an explanation. How totally disgusting and distasteful. Gag.

• shelli noca says:

she’s worked so hard to include so many other communities i’m amazed she was so ignorant to ours! it was just gross stupid.

• Pookie Cake says:

I see no difference between wearing a meat dress and wearing a fur coat except the fact that you can eat the meat dress after wearing it. Many artists wear fur and they are not called offensive.

• James says:

A powerful and thought provoking visual. Right or wrong is a matter of perspective.

• Pippi says:

I’m not really offended I just dissaprove… I see no difference from a meat dress and leather though..

• Maria Seydel says:

I know Gaga is the queen of outrageous outfits but did she really have to take it there? There’s a line between outrageous and offensive a line which I would think was pretty obvious but not to her I suppose. And for her to wear the dress to vegan Ellen Degeneres’ show afterwards was just downright disrespectful! What makes it all even sadder is the fact that she had some smart things to say but they were completely overshadowed by the dead cow hanging off of her body. I hope people give Gaga a lot of trouble for that outfit and that she learns from it.

• Helen says:

disgusting what some people will do for attention. this is a total turn off!

• Ralph says:

Well she’s getting the attention she so craves. Ingrid in all honesty if you want something like this to go away you have to ignore it.

• MARIA DUARTE says:

SHE IS JUST AS DISGUSTING AS THE THE THOUGHT OF KILLING AN ANIMAL TO EAT IT! I CAN NOT STAND THIS WOMAN!

• mallory says:

I am a vegan of 4 years and to be completely honest with everyone it’s a picture. It’s an artistic way of her showcasing her music. It’s not like she is shoving that meat down her throat and saying “Screw you PETA!” Lady GaGa is still a brilliant individual and should not be taking slack from anyone. When anyone of you becomes as successful as she is then maybe you can wear a dress made out of human flesh to prove your point? Until then keep cool.

• Meredith says:

Normally I love Lady Gaga but this was pretty gross. Was it actually meat or cloth made to look like meat? Either way she should become a “rather be naked than wear fur” person for Peta!

• Marley says:

ive never been a fan of gaga and nor will i ever be. She proved that she will do cruel things to in impress people but she really demonstrated a selfish act.

• Rebecca Beasley says:

Efren I won’t be buying her new album! AND it’s because of this. I vote with my dollar and this is too far. once is poor judgement but 2 times? BAD Gaga! BAD