Tough Gal Dahl From ‘Riddick’ Talks Taking Out Meat and Taking Down Men
There’s one person that the muscle-bound men in Riddick won’t mess with: Dahl, the experienced bounty hunter who is one seriously tough tigress. And there’s one thing that Katee Sackhoff, who plays Dahl, won’t mess with: meat. This überstrong gal gets her power from plants. “[The director] was adamant that he wanted me to look like I could kill any one of these men [in the film],” she said, “and they were all over 6-feet tall and I’m only 5’5″.” Katee upped her calories and her workouts, and when Dahl declares, early on in the film, “I don’t f*** guys. But occasionally, I f*** ’em up,” she leaves no doubt that she can.
In other celebrity news:
- Eva Mendes and New York & Company are a match made in fur-free heaven. The compassionate actor and animal-friendly design house collaborated on the Eva Mendes Collection, a smorgasbord of skins-free fashion finds making their debut in stores and online.
- And two more of our buddies are teaming up to help cats. Kellan Lutz joined with The Paw Project to inform people about the cruelty of declawing.
- Here’s one very pretty thing you probably didn’t know about Miss America winner Nina Davuluri. When HollywoodLife.com published a “5 Things to Know” piece about her, rounding out the list was “Of course she’s an animal lover.” Gushing about her favorite animal, her rescued dog, Nina says, “He’s half-retriever, half question mark. Love him!”
- Would you like to eat like Bill Gates and PayPal billionaire Peter Thiel? Just get thyself to Whole Foods and pick up Hampton Creek Foods’ Beyond Eggs. The techie entrepreneurs have turned foodie entrepreneurs, backing Beyond Meat and Beyond Eggs to promote health, spare animals’ lives, and stop environmental destruction caused by factory farming.
- Beth and Howard Stern are speaking up about what a rewarding experience it has been for them to be foster parents for animals who are up for adoption. And even though Beth adds that the day she had to send her first litter of foster kittens back to the shelter, “I was crying like a baby,” the couple encourages every patient, dedicated animal advocate to let foster animals enrich their lives.
And there was plenty of encouragement for animal advocates on Twitter this week, including stars tweeting about PETA’s investigation into Linda Bean’s cruel lobster and crab slaughterhouse, raving about vegan eats, and still reeling from Blackfish.
To keep up with what all your favorite stars are doing for animals, follow @PETA on Twitter.