ING(rid) Loves F1

Written by PETA | April 3, 2007

I’m not sure how many of you know this, but PETA’s President Ingrid Newkirk is a huge Formula 1 fan. She always jokes that when PETA achieves animal liberation she is moving to France to be a F1 pit hound. Actually, she probably isn’t joking.

Anyway, as reliably as the sun rising in the morning, if there is a F1 race on, Ingrid is watching it, and the first race of the season two weekends ago was no exception. The financial services company ING is the major sponsor of the Renault team. Ingrid is a big Renault fan, and even has a couple of Renault drivers—Giancarlo Fisichella and Heikki Kovalainen—featured on her F1 press pronunciation assistance site, NameThatDriver.com.

ing.JPG

If you’re not into F1—and if you live in America I realize that you’re probably not—you may be thinking, “so what?” Well, coincidentally, it turns out that Ingrid has just finished shooting a PETA ad parodying the iconic ING “It’s easier on the bench” ads. I’m sure you’ve seen those.

bench.JPGSo here’s the shot from our ad. The original concept was that while ING provides tools to make its customers’ lives easier, PETA provides the tools to make animals’ lives easier. That, and the ING Financial bench is an advertising icon, and the first three letters of our President’s name are “I N G”.Ingrid.jpg
See Why Its Easier—for animals—On the Bench

And here are a just a few ways PETA made animals’ lives easier over the past year:

• PETA successfully negotiated agreements with some of the largest poultry sellers, including Safeway, CKE Restaurants (the parent company of Hardee’s and Carl’s Jr.), and Denny’s, to advocate for CAK with their poultry suppliers.
  • Chicago’s City Council voted 48-1 to ban the sale of foie gras after watching PETA’s graphic expos— narrated by Sir Roger Moore, which documents how ducks and geese have pipes shoved down their throats to force-feed them up to 4 pounds of grain per day.
  • Over the past year, PETA’s corporate outreach efforts caused some of the largest and best-known clothing brands in the world to go fur-free, including Polo Ralph Lauren, Tommy Hilfiger, Limited Brands (which includes Victoria’s Secret), Ann Taylor and J.Crew.
  • Leading retailers Eddie Bauer, Liz Claiborne, and Kenneth Cole gave fresh assurances that they are still boycotting Indian leather after PETA India ramped up our international campaign in response to a lack of significant action by government officials to stop abuses like beating animals who are too sick or injured to walk and butchering animals with dull knives in full view of each other.
  • General Electric and 3M agreed to provide PETA with regular updates on their efforts to reduce the stress and loneliness of the animals used in tests, and DuPont has agreed to work with PETA to reduce the number of animal tests it uses.
  • PETA discovered that juice companies Ocean Spray and Welch’s had funded cruel experiments on animals that involved inducing stomach ulcers and inflicting brain injuries in mice and cutting dogs’ chests open to induce massive blood clotting (as well as other cruel tests). PETA convinced both companies to join our list of more than 20 juice companies that have pledged not to fund animal experiments—none of which are required by law.
  • As a result of PETA’s efforts to combat the use of animals in the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s program to test toxins, seven corporations and chemical industry associations have agreed not to conduct certain tests, sparing more than 10,000 animals.

Pretty cool, huh?

Comments

• Lisa says:

after visiting your site and seeing some videos on how aniamls for food are treated and reading up on their conditions i have now decided to go veggie! thank you for helping me to realise what a discusting act i was helping! also i watched that video on the ‘kill box’ please do something for these animals i don’t think i’ll be able to rest until i know this ‘kill box’ has gone please. thank you

• Bernice says:

Thank you PETA. There is no excuse for deliberate cruelty. I just recently found out about what “science” is doing to justify their actions. It is not necessary. I am so sorry for the inconsiderate and horrible nature of human beings in general. I know we are not all to blame…but it apalls me that humans have the capacity to be so cruel in some respects. I support your cause as many others do. There is no justification for abuse and cruelty. I commend all those who stand behind you to save the innocent and helpless who can not fight for themselves. So sad It makes my stomach turn.Thank you for standing up to the “Big Guys”. You are making a difference along with all the others who support your cause and stand behind you. Thank you. And thank you to all of you who are fighting for elimination of animal cruelty in all areas.

• Judith, Freedom Fighter says:

You Ingrid Are a National Treasure. Our 8th wonder of the world. Without you we may have never learned just how horrific life is for so many animals. Thank you for showing us the light. Judith The Buddhist

• Elioke says:

well i agree with the comments of ‘Nina and animal lover’. I am not only vegan and proanimal rights i’m also Pronature! No nature no animals! I don’t blame her for having a hobby but…Renault and ING djeeeeeeeee…. The increasing number of cars is really getting out of control and a disaster for this planet and what about ING linked to is that KOOSJER??

• Claire Craig says:

Anybody from Irelandwho is involved in any activism please let me know I’d like to get involved. Claire

• Brandon says:

Yes I agree!

• loveanimals says:

The F1 is a waste of resources land and is detrimental to the planet. Supporting the F1 means that you support unnecessary consumption of fossil fuels destructionuse of land for racetracks flying drivers and vehicles all over the place and all the resources wasted on buildingmaintaining race cars and parts along with the entire industry of commercialism behind the races promoting other wasteful products is cruel to this planet and selfish. It is sad to see so may animal rights activists who think so well in terms of what is right in this world fail to think everything in this world through in the same manner. PS I’m vegan and a monthly PETA supporter…. I’m not saying this as some sort of attack it just seems so obviously wrong for the president of PETA to support something so destructive to the planet? I’m I the only one that sees this????

• Nina says:

Thank you Ingrid for all you do in putting an end to the horrendous psychological and physical abuse’s that so many helpless animal’s have to endure. You are a “beautiful Angel amoung us.” I am so happy you are! Love and Light Nina M.

• chris says:

I love animals and F1 this is a cool story. I would have to disagree with Ingrid though and that is I want to see McLaren win.

• Jessica Chasengnou says:

Just want to say I went to the earthlings showing today at the Naro… Ive been a member of PeTA for a few years now and I supported PeTA but I still ate meat. I have decided today that I am going vegetarian and I might as well go vegan too bc Im lactose intolerant already so cutting out animal biproducts wont be that hard for me… Also I went to the supermarket and got tons of fresh food no meat or dairy involved… I already feel healthier just by making the decision… Just wanted to share that with whomever reads the blog. Lots of Love Jessica

• Ryne Poelker says:

The african american civil rights movement had Martin Luther King Jr. The womens rights movement had Susan B. Anthony. The human rights movement in India had Mohandas Gandhi. We have you Ingrid Newkirk

• Claudia says:

We will all be pit hound like you! If its happen one day… some people are just too slow…

• Brandon Becker says:

“PETA successfully negotiated agreements with some of the largest poultry sellers including Safeway CKE Restaurants the parent company of Hardees and Carls Jr. and Dennys to advocate for CAK with their poultry suppliers.” How about PETA pressure these storesrestaruants to sell more vegan food? Spending time advocating one form of killing for another will not advance the cause of animal rights. “Leading retailers Eddie Bauer Liz Claiborne and Kenneth Cole gave fresh assurances that they are still boycotting Indian leather after PETA India ramped up our international campaign in response to a lack of significant action by government officials to stop abuses like beating animals who are too sick or injured to walk and butchering animals with dull knives in full view of each other.” How about instead of pressuring companies to stop selling Indian leather why push for them to stop selling ALL leather? “General Electric and 3M agreed to provide PETA with regular updates on their efforts to reduce the stress and loneliness of the animals used in tests and DuPont has agreed to work with PETA to reduce the number of animal tests it uses.” Each moment spent helping improve conditions for animals in labs could be better spent advocating for an end to all animal testing.

• S says:

Oh my gosh! i love this marketing department!!

• alan tong says:

Way to go Ingrid!! I’m a F1 fan and a big lover of animals! Please don’t stop what you are doing for the animals! When PETA does achieve animal liberationyou will!! I’ll be a pit hound with you!!

• kirkley brown says:

when asked about the people we thought of as heroes today in my english10 class i stood up and said “ingrid newkirk” sadly.. nobody knew who i was talking about “she is the founder of peta and the saviour of all animalkind” i responded you make me proud to be veggie

• animalfriend says:

Thank you so much Ingrid for all you do since years for PETA and the suffering animals! You are an example for many in this world!!!