Honey Bunch! Not Honey Baked!

Written by PETA | July 8, 2008

reuters / CC
strong_pig.jpg

Oh, how I do love a tearjerker with a happy ending! So here’s a lovely one for you: A tenderhearted businessperson in China, named Fan Jianchuan, recently took in a resilient pig who survived 36 days without food after May’s devastating earthquake in Sichuan. With the deepest appreciation for Fan’s generous pledge to care for Zhu for the rest of his days, our friends over at PETA Asia-Pacific honored Fan with a Compassionate Action award.

The little pig, named Zhu Jianqiang or “Strong Pig,” was trapped under rubble and emaciated after only eating charcoal and drinking rain water to survive!

In light of the tragic Midwest floods—in which pigs swam for days to get to safety, only to be shot to death, which is just one horror story among so many—the rescue of Strong Pig from the rubble of such a devastating natural disaster is a beautiful glimmer of hope, right? I told you this was heartwarming. These pigs—who were supposed to be slaughtered in two parts of the world where pork is a staple food—desperately struggled for their lives right along with humans, and it leave no doubt as to pigs’ commonality with us.

While knowing that this little guy has a safe place to lay his head from now on is reason enough to love this story, I’ve got to admit to the little kick that I get out of thinking about the folks who view these intelligent beings as no more than “food” getting a glimpse into the human-like quality of their dinner.

Posted by Missy Lane

Comments

• bet says:

pets stick around because you feed them.. here we go again.. I have a pet dog.. if I was only appreciated simply becasue I fed him. then I guess he would just toddle off after mealtimes and do as he wished with no other cuase for concern except for when his next meal time woudl be .. I fancy this KK doesn’t own a dog at all.. thus he has never experienced a dog galloping back to him simply becuase it chose to .. not because you had some tidbit in your hand.. or prefering to be in a room where you were in for your companionship rather than just sulking off to be on it own in some ohter room.. wagging it’s tail furiously simply because it hasn’t seen you for a while and is ‘super’ happy just to see you.. yes.. you may be the hand to feed himit or in your case. most prob not.. but they also appreciate you for who you are.. that you treat them kindly and hey guess what.. they actually do like your human company .. at least your pet dog would not say hurtful things to you or ‘stab you in the back when you least expected it.. or any ohter nasty surprises that I’m afraid and sad to say humans are so very capable of doing to other humans..

• Zeta says:

Aaawww! This story was so cute!

• lynda downie says:

Yes Kurt you’ve made it very clear many times that you’re offended by the comparison between humans and animals. And as I’ve asked you before why is that?

• Antigone1000 says:

Kurt K All you have to fall back on is species. PERIOD. That is like a white person calling a black person inferior because of RACE. You can’t use intelligence as a distinguishing factor because there are some animals chimps e.g. smarter than some humans a retarded person e.g.. So you have no basis for your belief that you are superior other than SPECIES which is no more of a valid distinguishing characteristic than RACE. My pain and suffering is greater to me than yours is to me just as an animal’s pain and suffering is more important to him than yours is to him. ALL suffering is equal from the perspective of the sufferer. Just because I CARE more about MY suffering than I care about YOURS does not make your suffering any less acute to YOU. So it is with animals. You value based on species. That is a prejudiced and outdated mindset.

• Kurt K says:

BetAntigone I tell you what go live with your animals in the wild. Your arguments make it seem like animals live in a Disney film. Antigone I don’t think comparing a person with autism to a chicken is fair or remotely close. Furthermore why bring in the race card on this? I don’t view a black person as a different species and certainly wouldn’t allow a human to be killed in front of my animal “friends”! Don’t you understand that pets stick around because you feed them? And since when have I ever been antianimal? I believe I am more prohuman! I stated many times that I would like to see cruelty towards animals stop or be brought to a minimmum. I think the fur industry is wrong I think slaughterhouses need to restructure their processes and I certainly don’t like it when people are irresponsible towards their pets. It just annoys me when people put animals on par with humans. That is basically my only beef with you guys!

• Antigone1000 says:

Kurt K If you don’t think animals understand what death is spend some time in a slaughterhouse. Trust me they get it. Besidesby your argument autistic children people in comas some retarded children and alzheimer victims don’t stand a chance. sigh Well okay they’re your rules……

• Antigone1000 says:

Jay Don’t get all full of yourself and think we’re all dying to eat you. Your arteries are probably clogged and you’re probably more fat than protein. Trust meeating you would have to be a last resort definitely not a preference.

• Antigone1000 says:

Kurt K Your argument is equivalent to saying that as a white person it would be wrong of me to choose the life of a black person over a white person. Guess what??? The fact that you happen to be human means absolutely nothing to me just like the color of your skin means nothing. Either I have a relationship with you or I do not. You would betray a friend because of his species. That is equivalent to betraying a friend because of his skin color. I think it is YOUR priorities that are fucked up.

• bet says:

all humans and animals share the SAME basic instinct… ie.. SURVIVAL eat sleep rest play hunt companionship fight or flight procreate.. need I go on.. what gives the very self opinionated and always prohuman KK the notion that an animal has quote no ‘concept of what life really is’.. for his information.. and he needs enlightening on this very most basic fact animals share the SAME basic needs and concerns as humans.. SURVIVAL and the little simple pleasures it seeks or enjoys in life.. as you a human seek to fulfill your own human wants or desires and the pleasures of your life.. nothing no creature I feel shoudl be here on planet earth to SUFFER!!! .. that’s why I find it so LOATHESOME when people feel animals have no reason to exist or live to enjoy life for it’s own wants and simply are here to suffer in silence and then die a horrid death in order to provide all for humans wants and needs .. WHAT absolute WODGE BALDERDASH! and TROLLOP!!! can’t this KK ever make a comment without arousing indignation due to his relentless antianimal comments and causing people to feel irate and have to counter reply like myself to rectify his perpetual ill thoughts and nonsensical comments .. ??

• Kurt K says:

Antigone I understand what you are saying! If you loved your dog and you had to choose between its life and a strangers life given the circumstance you would choose your dogs! Is this correct? If that is the case then I see no point of even talking to you on this anymore. Your priorities are so fucked up I don’t think anything I can say in the future will taken seriously. Choosing an animal that has no concept of what life really is over a person who fully understands what death is. God help you!

• Antigone1000 says:

I’m so tired of hearing that people are choosing animals over humans. Such an idiotic comment shows you have no understanding of what AR stands for. Those who support AR believe that EVERY being has an inherent value and a right to live hisher life in peace. It DOES not mean animals and humans have the SAME rights e.g. animals won’t need to vote nor does it mean that either one is superior to the other. It means that we recognize the inherent value in animals as we currently do for humans and stop disregarding their right to a life unmolested by human cruelty. In some cases where I have a choice I might choose an animal over a human but how often do such cases arise now where a human must choose between one human and another??? If anyone were forced to choose between saving a loved one or a stranger they would choose the loved one and no one would question it. Why question it then if the loved one happens to be an animal and the stranger a human??? Those humans who feel threatened by such a philosophy probably need pyschological help to overcome their need to subordinate others.

• lynda downie says:

Jay It’s been known for some time now that pigs are extremely intelligent at the cognitive level of a normal 3 yr old human child. Dr. Stanley Curtis former professor of dairy and animal science at Penn State prof of animal science at University of Illinois and Oregon State University in conjunction with Dr. Candace Croney Dr. Donald Broom Cambridge University and Dr. Salvatore Cullari dept. zoology Lebanon Valley Collegeare among the animal science researchers who’ve studied pigs and made these claims for their cognitive abilities.

• jay says:

Antigone 1000 You should follow the plot. I was critised for having no mercy or compassion for defending a point by k kurt on eating animals during a disaster. The argument was that considering eating this specific pig which survived in order to stave off starvation was heartless. As to your comment about finding something else to eat you wouldnt have. Many Chinese didnt find anything to eat and died. Considering the ethics of some people on this blog I do not doubt you would eat me instead of this pig.

• lynda downie says:

S.Q. I’ve studied some biology and your whole idea of ‘hierarchy’ isn’t consistent with the Darwinian view of nature. We’re all animals S.Q. human and nonhuman.

• lynda downie says:

Antigone brilliant retort to Kurt KJuly 10 1040PM I wish he’d take you up on that deal!

• Judith says:

Kurt What we do is adopt these precious souls but they live at the Sanctuary. Farm Sanctuary takes so much out of an account we have open for them. We take care of 2 pigs and 2 cows and 3 horses. The horses are at Horse Haven. We do not have enough room at our home for all of them. But we visit twice a year. Please go to Farm Sanctuary.org and read all about the rescue! Peace for all animals!

• Antigone1000 says:

Jay If my family was starving we might just eat you. What does that prove?? Desperate people do desperate things but if everyone lived their lives as though they were in dire straits I think a lot of crimes would be committed.

• bet says:

Jay’s comment “…writing an article about a pig that survives amid such disaster shows lack of compassion and tact.” my comment yes it was a terrible disaster and I htink you may agree with me the earthquake disaster received global international practically round the clock coverage.. if not days then weeks and months.. depending on your disposition.. people felt sorrowful or sad at the terrible loss of so many human lives.. whilst in turn coudl be relieved or happy to learn another perosn or child was rescued alive from the debris.. over many many days under rubble.. the human spirit is resilient so was this pig! this particular case after all this IS an animal rightswelfare sight.. was about a pig who survived.. and rightly so was spared his life.. Maybe you’ll also agree with me that animals rights issues get very little coverage on mainstream newsTV or elsewhere.. thus people turn to AR organizations or sites such as this.. I dont’ think it was ‘insensitive’ for Peta to bring up the matter of this spitited plucky pig who steadfastly survived after so many days buried under rubble.. all creatures.. yes humans and animals struggle or will struggle given the chioce between life and death!! we are all similar in that respect!! so why shouldnt this pig get a little bit of ‘air time’? It’s a heartwarming tale anyway.. regardless.. because it also shows a man’s compassion for an animal..

• Kurt K says:

Judith are you going to get one?

• Carla says:

There still is a little light at the end of the tunnel hey Judith!! Thanks for sharing that info!!

• jay says:

Pam Joanna Wowzer Judith Madison et al. If you took the time to read the posts you would find they are not intented to be negative just to show the flaw in the logic. 1 The fact a pig struggles for survival does not equal intelligence all living things animals and plants struggle for survival regardless of intellect. 2 When 100 000 people die from a natural disaster any resource available should be used to preserve life. Neither of these points gives any evidence to a lack of mercy or compassion. I would argue that writing an article about a pig that survives amid such disaster shows lack of compassion and tact.

• S.Q. says:

Great. Pigs are smart. We get it. You can’t say that they are smarter than dogs and horses though. If you must find a reputable source. Pigs horses dogs wombats worms they’re all SMART. Not a big deal. Piggy may be smarter than Rover but Rover is not as smart as Nickers but Nickers is smarter than Piggy. It does not always go Pigdoghorse. And if eating animals was so cruel and wrong I don’t see why meat was made poisonous for human consumption. There are far more omnivors in this world than carnivors or herbivors so eating meat is simply nature’s way. All creatures are not on an equal plain. It is a hierarchy. You don’t see a lion munching on some grass with the antelopes and mice. Though humans should not abuse our power you cannot say that we do not deserve to eat meat. That is what being on top of the food chain is about. Not to abuse animals…that is different. But we may eat them. If this is baffling to you a biology class would do you good.

• Judith says:

I just received some fantastic news. 69 Pigs were rescued on a levee in the Midwest and are now in route to The Farm Sanctuary in New York!!!!!YEA!!!!! People all over the country are calling to adopt these precious souls… YEA!!!!! Peace for all animals!!!!!

• pam says:

You come to a PETA website and take the time to read the posts and post negative comments. There must be something anything you could do with your time better than that. On another note the story is very heartwarming and thank you for sharing.

• Antigone1000 says:

Well he wouldn’t feed me for a week. I don’t eat animalsI would find something else to eat.

• vegancoin says:

To slaughter an animal unnecessarily is wrong. To deny that pigs are intelligent creatures is crazy and equally wrong. It is well known that pigs are smarter than dogs and horses.

• Madison Luvs Animals says:

Jay If you Haven’t already noticed Your losing this battle and making pathetic excuses for it Hey Everyone Let kill Jay and feed him to earthquake Surviors after he’s Been through what strong pig Survived Oh and Jay When You where Born you went through surgery to remove your heart AND your brain But you wouldn’t know because you have no feelings oh and Guess what Your getting Told off by a compassionite awesome 12yr old Now what does that make you think oh and Elizabeth My parents wouldn’t let me go Veg Just give them time and facts prep yourself. It worked for me.

• Kurt K says:

Wow! I didn’t think that comment would cause such a stink! I think many of you read to much into that one. Jay understood what I was trying to say. I would kill a hundred pigs to save one person. I think its great how all of you can judge a person’s character by the posts on a blog. Its funny how you claim I have no compassion while you call me names and suggest that I lack mercy. I don’t want to see animals suffer but I also don’t want to see humans suffer. I think its great that people are fighting animal abuse I really do. However when it starts to become an obsession and people start to think of animals before humans it has gone far enough! My advise is to think about my comments a little more before you respond. Ted Nuggent rules!

• Judith says:

Jay You are such a sad person. Why don’t you go to a torture board or someplace and just leave us alone. We love and respect animals thats who we are. Just be good and go somewhere where you are wanted. Thank you. PIGS RULE!!!!! Peace for all animals!

• S.Q. says:

Wow you all seem to have a real knack for calling people horrible names. That doesn’t earn respect in my book. Pigs are livestock bred to be consumed. You can’t just release a domestic pig into the wild. So it’s either keep it in human care or stop breeding them until their extinction. Now while pigs are bred to be eaten that gives us no right to abuse them in any way with bad living conditions or poor slaughter methods. I believe in changing these but I do not believe in stopping all human consumption of meat. That is too radical and you can’t make the whole world adopt this lifestyle. However some animal’s resilience proves that they are more than the common farm animal. Strong pig is an example. This is a wonderful story indeed.

• jay says:

Wowzer If your family was starving and came upon a pig I wonder what you would do? I think I know.

• wowzer says:

Jay you are an idiot! Have you ever heard of compassion? I’m guessing not. So you’re telling us that even after this pig survived for 36 days without food you it would be your pleasure just to kill him? People like you disgust me.

• jay says:

If you would just judge KK’s comment on pure merit instead of knee jerk sentimentality I think you would see his point. If slaughtering that pig could sustain a family for a week until relief arrived would that not be justified?

• jay says:

joanna Survival is not equivalent to intelligence. Insects are the best survivors of all but that does not mean they are equally intelligent. I’m not sure what your last comment means probably my diminutive intelligence.

• yf says:

this KurtK dude is totally devoid of sentimental empathy nor a shred of mercy in that human form physique of his.. I’ll bet if he ever was stuck in some bog or quick sand or even a deep pit and some kind dog came to his aid or alerted people to come and help him.. he’d be totally ungrateful at the dog and after being rescued he’d say.. ‘why.. this dog would be better off ‘slaughtered and fed to people starving in that devastated area’.. what is the matter with this dude?? Hasn’t he ever come across the notion of MERCY? for the mere sake of being merciful of sparing someone or some creatures life?? yes.. for that simple reason.. nah.. in his case.. I guess v. much so not.. he’s prob going around zealously swatting anything that comes across his path be it flies bees or butterflies.. ‘Pesks’! to mutters to himself.. you should practice bieng merciful KK.. you will see.. it’s actually a v. good and commendable act!

• Judith says:

Kurt your playing in that pile of shit with Cochran aren’t you? You absolutely disgust me by what you said about strong pig. He won his battle fair and square with his smarts to stay alive. He succeeded. What is wrong with people like you? Were you abused as a child taught to hate by your parents and your environment? You are a very sick and hateful person. But I knew that already when you started speaking of your love for that monster Dick Cheney! I knew then just how fucked up you are. You lack love in your life and you prefer to take your hate out on the innocent. You are a sad and scary person. Love and Peace! Peace for all animals!

• joanna says:

Jay If you turned your three year old loose in the wild how long do you think heshe could survive? A pig would make use of it’s intelligence and figure out how to survive. That’s why feral pigs are such a problem in some areas. BTW Joanna is not joanna. I’m taking joanna off the blog.

• Antigone1000 says:

Kurt K Perhaps deservedly so. Karma….. I’m really sorry that my comments offend your sensibilities so much. Here’s an ideawhy don’t you trade places with a pig in a slaughterhouse for a day or two?? You can endure what he does and I’ll set him up in front of a computer and email him some really nasty stuffmaybe I’ll call him some names make some specieist comments that kind of thing. If at the end of the day you still think comments are the most horrible things to be endured then you can remain in the slaughterhouse until you become hotdogs for your fellow carnivores. Deal?

• Kurt K says:

This pig would have served a better purpose being slaughtered and fed to people who were starving in that devistated area in China. Antigone stop taking cheap shots at the people in the midwest floods. They have suufered enough.

• rojo says:

hi joanna could you provide the scientific source of such a claim re pig IQ. It’s quite easy to regurgitate some goveg “facts” but please back them up if you are going to do so. It would be nice if goveg and the like provided verifiable references then you wouldn’t have to.

• jay says:

Joanna Green made the comment about pigs intelligence not me. Where do you get off with pigs having an IQ than a 3 yr old? My 3 yr old can talk solve puzzles ride a bike wash himself and ski to name a few. You guys must be studying some amazing pigs. Anyway why cant you just have a normal conversation without getting so mad and defensive? It speaks volumes for your confidence in your cause “weak point shout louder”.

• Elizabeth says:

This is one of the most uplifting stories I’ve heard in a while. Good to hear Strong Pig recieved a loving home rather than ending up as someone’s dinner. Spending time with animals that are traditionally farmed can be a real eyeopener for people who think animals don’t feel or think much. Too bad my parents won’t let me be vegetarian. I was threatened I’d be sent to an eating disorders clinic if I cut meat completely from my diet. Until I live on my own I eat vegetarian in my personal life and have the traditional family dinner.

• Kelley says:

One person can make a difference in the world. Maybe Mr. Fan’s kind actions will be a source of inspirtion to the people around him and maybe they will perform a simple act of kindness and the cycle will go on and on and on.

• Judith says:

Joanna Beautifully said. Peace for all animals!

• Joanna says:

Grrrr Pigs have a higher IQ then the typical 3 yr old you retards. They would most likely beat you at any IQ test considering your comments. And Jay people fatten too!!! Not just pigs you retard lower IQ then a 3 yr old?? Maybe we should eat human fatties instead and save taxpayers money when the roly polys start getting heart disease diabetes.

• Carla says:

Breen some of your comments are worth a read or two just for arguement sake BUT most are just down right stupid!! Hooray for Fan and Strong Pig they are heroes!!

• Antigone1000 says:

Nice to hear that there are some truly good people in the world. Very sad but not surprising that the US has no similar story to report from the midwest….

• Greg says:

Because a pig used its natural instincts to survive it can be deemed an intelligent being? I’m just curious about how this pig obtained humanlike qualities.

• jay says:

The fact that a pig struggles for survival makes it no more “intelligent” than algae.

• Judith says:

Goodness I wish I could just wrap my arms around him and give him a huge hug. He is simply precious. And what a wonderful human companion strong pig has. You are right Missy the tears came after reading his plight. Being rescued and taken care of instead of swimming for ages and then being shot by those fks. I wish I wish I wish I wish I wish….. This is such a glorious story with such a happy ending. Fan you are such a beautiful and special human being. Peace for all animals!