If It Was Good Enough for Jesus

Written by PETA | April 7, 2010

Got breast milk? In the wake of a recent report that says the nation could save billions on healthcare costs if more mothers breastfed their babies, we’re running a billboard in Lexington, Kentucky, that encourages people to DLJD (Do Like Jesus Did):

Breast Milk

Kentucky has one of the lowest percentages of women who breastfeed their babies, and according to this new report, the state’s children have an increased risk of falling victim to sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS), necrotizing enterocolitis (the death of intestinal wall tissue), lower respiratory infections such as pneumonia, and other illnesses.

Our billboard aims to show Kentucky residents that by fortifying human babies and saving the lives of cows, breast milk is also the blessed milk. Seriously—if it was good enough for Jesus, it’s good enough for any baby.

Written by Logan Scherer

Comments

• Amanda says:

I’m still a little wierded out by the whole brestfeeding thing. but i’ve decided that after like 3 months i’m going to pump and give him/her that. I’ve told my fiance that i don’t want my babies to have milk at all, that when there’s nothing left on tap i want them drinking Silk DH3 or almond milk.

• ocean17 says:

what 4mula1 said.

• a.h. says:

As a lactivist and someone who profoundly cares for how animals ad!

• 4mula1 says:

no species past infancy drinks milk. milk is for baby cows get rice almond coconut or soy.

• me says:

Tom Obviously this is very personal for you and your inability to breastfeed longer. You can be part of that 1 and there is nothing wrong with that. The world health organization does take into account everyone and everything. The 1 consists of people who are unable to breastfeed for medical reasons. In addition there is a lot of misinformation out there about medical conditions and breastfeeding. Dr. Thomas Hale who is a leading experent on medications and breastmilk has said over and over that doctors tell women they cant breastfeed because of conditions or taking medications and that is simply not true in many cases. But the truth is I am incredibly well educated on this subject from more than reading things on the internet. My education in school LLL as well as other venues of being taught. THe United States is full of people who dont want to breast or who “try” to breastfeed but it doesnt work out. I guess somehow in other countries they figure it out but here we just “try” and it doesnt work out. There are more “medical reasons” not to breastfeed in U.S. than anywhere else. I find that interesting.

• jay says:

…but maybe it’s really a private picture there don’t you think so????

• Tom says:

The WHO doesn’t take into account women who begin nursing but can’t continue due to health problems fluid retention etc. and have to go to formula. I’ve known several women that has happened to. They retain fluid which raise blood pressure and are given lascic sorry about the spelling and as a result their milk dries up. The only drug approved to start milk production back is Reglin and many are allergic. So frankly regardless of your static you don’t know what you are talking about.

• Theresa says:

I haven’t looked up the percentage of women who “truely” can’t produce enought breast milk. But what I do know is that the hospitals are pushing formula over breastfeeding. It happened with all three of my children and two different hospitals. As soon as THEY felt enough milk was being produce they are rushing to give the baby a bottle. When in fact the first few days of live the baby just needs one oz every few hours. That’s a tiny amount. Unlucky for me but lucky for me my first child had to be sent to a different hospital from me do to a condition they thought she had. So they hopital supplied me with a breast pump. IT WAS THE BEST THING THAT EVER HAPPENED TO ME. I pumped 10 minutes every 2 hour around the clock in order to send my baby my breast milk. Within 24 hours I was producing so much milk all at the hopital were shocked. So my second child right off they wanted to start formula. I asked for a pump and same story I was producing lots of milk the next day. Third child different hospital different state same thing. This time the nurse even threatened to put my baby on I V because the blood sugar was too low. They felt I wasn’t producing enought milk. Pump to the rescue and for the third time to even the lactation consultalt’s amazement I was producting milk like crazy. Only with my third child was I even able to calm down and nurse the baby naturally and not worry about what people thought them needing to see how much the baby was drinking as opposed to on demand. It is totally true about supply and demand. Breast pumps should be used as back up not formula. And it takes a good pump. My sister stopped breast feeding after she worked with an expensive pump that wasn’t worth a quarter. She never knew the pump was terrible until she sent it to me when mine broke. I said this thing is terrible and quickly went back to a hospital grade hand pump that worked better than her expensive electric one. So again of course people are sensitive to those who medically cannot product enough milk but often a mother isn’t given the oportunity to find out if this is the case. They are made to feel that they are torturing their babies when in fact the real torture maybe the discouraging of a mother to feed her baby naturally.

• me says:

Tom No according to the WHO less than 1 of women TRUELY dont make enough breastmilk. The key word is truely. Many women think they dont because they cant pump out milk or their child is not gaining according to a chart or because their child wants a bottle after nursing. So often times we now hear that more and more women dont make enough breastmilk. Sure they say they dont and think honestly think they dont. I dont blame them for thinking that. Its just simply not true and has been proven when babies are allowed to nurse on demand night and day there are very few instances where a mother has supply issues. One slip of questioning your supply can start a downhill spiral of loosing your supply because any subsituation of the breast decreases supply. La leche league even considers bottle feeding with breastmilk a subsitution because the baby is using alternative methods and this can cause supply to decrease if the woman cant pump out much. Working mothers struggle the most because pumps are not as efficient as the breast. 99 of women have enough breastmilk if the baby is only nursing at the breast. That is how Jesus did it and that is how it works. If not a wetnurse is an option or a breastmilk bank but nursing from the breast is the best option.

• Claire in Tasmania says:

For those women who can’t breastfeed human milk banks andor crossnursing should be available and promoted.

• Tom says:

There are many more women than that 1 who for one reason or another either can’t produce enough milk or their milk dries up. I too agree that nursing is best but there are medical reasons for a woman not to be able to nurse. and to say it’s just because they aren’t feeding the child enough or they don’t know what they are talking about is incredibly insensitive. It is extremely upsetting for a woman who wants to nurse and spends 9 months looking forward to it to find out she is unable.

• Mike says:

i would LOVE to drink breast milk on a daily basis…Raisin Bran with breastmilk? sounds like a treat!

• Andre Inglis says:

I’ve heard that breastfed babies are often more intelligent too. I question how cow milk formula could ever be approved to be fit for a baby.

• me says:

This is not aimed at the post above but just a general comment. Less than 1 of women truely dont make enough breastmilk to feed their baby. Many women think they dont have enough for various reasons and their doctors will sign off on it because they have no way to prove it otherwise. If you cant pump out breastmilk it does not mean you dont have enough. If your baby is failing to gain weight it still does not mean you dont have enough breastmilk. If your baby cries after feeding and wants to eat more it does not mean you dont have enough breastmilk to feed your child. There are so many reasons for all of those things and very very few women truely dont make enough milk. Breastmilk is supply and demand. If a child is fed just one bottle that causes supply to start to drop. A baby should be allowed to nurse on demand. That is how it was meant to be and when a child is fed on demand very few people have supply issues. I wish doctors would stop signing off on the “patient doesnt produce enough breastmilk” idea. Its simply not true in most cases.

• Ren says:

do you also know that some restaurants have cheese that is made from breastmilk???

• Jody says:

I have been vegan for 15 years during which time I have been an ardent and financial supporter of PETA. Whereas I agree that “breast is best” in a perfect world there are those of us who CANNOT produce enough milk. I was absolutely devastated that I could not. My daughter was raised with soy formula. She is 8 12 now and a very healthy perfect lifelong vegan.

• BeautiifulBytch says:

Very good I liked it. I still think if you want milk you should get it from a consenting human. Not a cow. They aren’t machines here to please man kind.