Go Vegan for Lent

Written by PETA | February 10, 2010
kandle / CC
Crosses

“For…give me vegan deliciousness, father,” might be the only thing that Catholics in confessionals need to say this Lent if the head of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops takes a tip from us. We’re asking him to encourage bishops around the country to ask their pastors to go vegan for Lent and to encourage congregants to do the same. When you eat cruelty-free, you’re saving lives, fighting world poverty, and curbing climate change—so you won’t have quite as much on your conscience.

With the season of abstinence just two weeks away, our Pledge to Go Vegan for Lent is the easiest way for Christians to honor God’s creatures, the world He entrusted to us, our own bodies, and each other.

Written by Logan Scherer

Comments

• Jan says:

The funny thing is Catholics in the Byzantine Rite eat a vegan diet during Lent already!

• Saucy says:

Anna you are what is known as a FOOL and I might add A BLOOD SUCKING VAMPIRE. Funny thing is you don’t even know it.

• Anna says:

Anyone else think “Saucy” should be “Nutty” instead? And no one eats bloody fish. That would give you food poisoning. Yeah.

• Saucy says:

Jonathan The first page of the first chapter of the Bible. Genesis 129 THE KINGDOM OF GOD IS VEGAN. Perhaps you think Christ was just playing. He didn’t really mean all that stuff about the Kingdom of God. Ah shucks maybe He was just trying get attention. Just because a person is Kosher which simply means a Rabbi prayed over the meal doesn’t mean they consume the blood of beasts which is clearly forbidden in the Bible. Jesus rebuked the order of the church calling them white washed tombs full of dead men’s bones. Jesus definitely was NOT going along with their program. Jesus said “My yoke is not hard harsh sharp and pressing but I am meek gentle lowly and humble”. Jesus was not a killer and a shedder of blood. But the devil the fallen archangel of worship is a liar. Known as the Father of Lies The Devourer The Beast. So please If Jesus is the Messiah which I believe with all of my “heart” he is he was definitely VEGAN. That is probably why they killed him. Unless you believe that story of him healing someone on the Sabbath. Even those corrupt priests could understand that being so “full of fear” that they most certainly were. So I believe it is you and not I that is believing the lie. My God is Love. Choose the LOVE OF GOD over the lies of satan. Afterall if you come into “MY HOUSE” and tell me that you LOVE me and I have prepared for you a delicious vegan meal but instead you torture maim kill and eat my dog. Guess what? I’m not going to believe you. And furthermore how ANGRY to you think I will be with you.

• Jonathan Westphal says:

Mike one vegan cookbook I go back to over an over again is the Veganomicon. I’m not even a vegan but I love the food in it. And there have been zero complaints from the rest of the family as well which tells you something.

• Jonathan Westphal says:

Saucy I appreciate your dedication to a crueltyfree diet but honestly where in the bible is there any evidence that Christ was a vegan? All we know for sure is that he was a Jew and therefore ate kosher but I think you are reading something into the bible that just isn’t there.

• Maggie says:

I have given up meat during Lent for the past four years. But this year I plan on going mostly vegan. I an not worried about cooking for myself but what do you eat when dinning out at restaurants with friends when traveling or eating a meal prepared by someone else?

• mike says:

As a practicing Catholic I will go vegan for Lent at least if someone can recommend a veganvegetarian cookbook. Must have easy stuff to make I’m not much of a chef.

• Saucy says:

No JD you would be wrong. Jesus was famous for fasting not killing.

• JD says:

I believe in the Bible Jesus tells his disciples that all things are clean now to eat. Not just your veggies but also the chiken pig cow etc…

• Vickirandolph says:

Funny…I have been thinking for quite a while to go from vegetarian to vegan and just decided last night to start on Ash Wed. for Lent but it wont just be a six week “fasting” but the beginning of a more committed life style…a bit worried about overlooking foods that are made with eggs or other animal foods…like cakes made with eggs…or “healthy” stuff yet made with honey…need to do some fast quick study and could use help!

• Saucy says:

Jay I did not say or in any way mean to communicate that I would not have contact with people who eat meat and take communion. That would limit my church going activities dramatically though I do prefer a more lively service then those of the tradition Catholic or Seven Day Adventist. I like to sing and flail my arms. I like to dance like King David down the isles. Yep I like to let it rip. God hath given me the “Garment” of Praise for a spirit of heaviness. Hallelujah! Works every time. Thank you though Jay for your kind words and understanding heart. God Bless

• Saucy says:

Dear Kurt Thank you for your kind words. It is nothing personal about the communion. I believe eating meat is the unforgivable sin and that it is the “Blood” and “Body” of Christ “metaphorically” speaking that we are to partake of. That this is not some casual idea that God just through out there. It means something profoundly important. The Bible also says not to take the communion if you have sin in your life that you can bring condemnation down on your head. I have had that lovely experience thank you very much. The Bible clearly states that the taking of communion is not something to be done willy nilly. Before posting this I wanted to go directly to the scripture in Mathew about communion to quote it directly. I opened up my Bible and inadvertently came upon 2323 a scripture that I do not recall reading before. Mathew 2323 “What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you are careful to tithe even the tiniest income from your herb gardens but you ignore the more important aspects of the law justice mercy and faith. You should tithe yes but do not neglect the more important things. Blind Guides! You strain your water so you won’t accidentally swallow a gnat but you swallow a camel.” What do mercy and justice have to do with growing an herb garden? One can understand the faith aspect. Either you have faith that the garden will grow or you don’t. Perhaps they didn’t have faith that the garden would grow and ate the camel instead. P.S. Kurt we do not have to wait until the sweet bye and bye to meet. Just hop on the train to Penn Station and I will buy you a vegan lunch at Blossom.

• Jay says:

hmmm Saucy you know that many believe in something different and that to quit contact to persons who think different always means to lose the possibility to talk to them and maybe change their opinion? You combine the bible with the modern thought of compassion and that honors you. People have always been bound in their traditions. The interpretation of what is right and wrong followed the traditions and nobody thought further. Meanwhile we learned to respect every living creature and our society has to work on more compassion included the try to talk to these who never had the thoughts you have. Compassion for every creature also for the people who still eat meat and do this maybe also in lent. They are not all bad they are thoughtless look only what the neighbor does and do the same. You can reach more with a peaceful heart.

• Kurt K says:

Saucy I may disagree with you on alot of things but you do seem to be a very passionate believer in Christ. I respect that. I just wish you would be able to take communion with me. Maybe one day we will meet inside the Pearly Gates!

• Marnie says:

With the understanding that we have today the possibilities to substitute meat the compassion that grew through the centuries we all can make a difference and honor live more than our ancestors could. They maybe had to hunt etc. but today we have the choice and also animals are sentient beings.

• Saucy says:

Not that I would ever go back to eating meat and it was the issue of cruelty that began my journey to veganisam it is this issue of blood that seals the deal for me. That includes fish yes that red flowing from their broken bodies is not a pink sauce. As my God consciousness grows and my knowledge and understanding of biblical references continues I believe with all of my heart my soul and my mind that Jesus Christ would go to the Cross before consuming the blood of beasts and I will not take communion with meateaters. It is my hearts desire to keep my name on the BIG LIST my reservation at the TABLE OF CHRIST God Willing. I am thankful for the revelations that God has given me and the role that I am playing here and I pray to God to complete the work that HeShe has put before me.

• Dave says:

I’ll not eat meat on Fridays that’s about it. Still eat fish still eat dairy not going Vegan either so sorry.

• AAG says:

I am Catholic and vegan!!!

• Jay says:

How Carrie said RESPECT and animals nature included!!!

• Jade says:

Um you DO know that during Lent people are NOT allowed to eat meat on Fridays? The only thing allowed is Fish not considered a blood meat for the nitpickers which is why the abstention but even there people are increasingly abstaining from that too.

• Carrie says:

Great! Going vegan is an awesome way to show respect for ALL God’s creation from humans to animals to the Earth.

• Aneliese says:

Agreed! Please Catholics and Christians give up meat for lent!