The Cruelty Behind Muslim Ritual Slaughter

Written by PETA | December 8, 2009

I’m going to be frank—after a minute and a half of GAIA’s latest undercover video footage from a halal slaughterhouse in Belgium, I had to stop watching.

But while I was able to hit a pause button, the more than 250,000 cows, sheep, and goats who are slaughtered while they are still conscious must endure prolonged torment. Animals killed halal (according to Islamic law) cannot be stunned before their throats are cut, which means that many animals—including the cow shown in this video—fight and gasp for their last breath, struggling to stand while the blood drains from their necks.

Belgium forbids slaughter without prior stunning, but the law does not apply to ritual slaughter practices, even though much of the halal meat produced in the country is distributed both to religious and nonreligious markets. Islamic teachings encourage kindness and compassion toward all creatures, which is why many Muslims make the humane decision to go vegan. Visit IslamicConcern.com to learn more about cruelty-free alternatives to halal meat.

Written by Logan Scherer

Comments

• Kurt K says:

Saucy Thanks for clearing that up for me. I can now go about my day in peace. FYI…you should ask Santa to intorduce you to Tooth Fairy. She is a sweetheart!

• Gary Sutherland says:

Halal slaughter is simply barbaric. It belongs in the dark ages not the 21st century. I have no desire to be vegetarian but I do feel strongly that the animals that are reared and then slaughtered to feed us should be treated humanely and spared as much pain and terror from the process as is practical. The fact that Halal slaughter practices remain legal in the UK diminishes us all.

• Saucy says:

Kurt Please forgive me I didn’t answer your question my source is none other then the Easter Bunny himself cousin to Rudolf the Red Nose Reindeer whom I met through my good friend Santa Claus.

• Saucy says:

Kurt K Yes God has a side called wrath and vengence belongs to the Lord. Those Egyptians were guilty of enslaving the Israilites which certainly wasn’t very nice. They exulted themselves above God by building temples to false gods and putting themselves on the same level as God. Well I guess if you want to go to all that trouble and put yourselves on the level of God your going to suffer like God. God turned the rivers to blood and took their first born. They were guilty same as Sodom and Gomora. People have choices to make but what did these humble beasts do? And along came Christ at specifically the right moment in time. My guess is that prior too Christ and the Dispensation of Grace and the Holy Spirit God had to deal ruthlessly with these people or the bloodline of Christ would have been destroyed.

• Kurt K says:

I don’t know Saucy in the Old Testament God is full of vengence and retribution. Think about what he did to the Egyptians to save the Israelites. Think about what he did to Sodom and Goemora spelling?. Its not until Christ appears that he became a loving God.

• ILIKEANIMALSFFA says:

IF ANIMALS MUST TO DIE FOR SOMETHING SPECIAL REASON. THESE IS NOT THE WAY. PEOPLE ON THE WORLD MUST TO EDUCATE THE HUMANITY MUST NOT TO EAT MEAT. SO THE PROBLEMS COME FROM THE GOVERNMENT BECAUSE THEY DONT WANT TO TRY THIS THINK. f.f.a.19720229

• Saucy says:

Kurt K Because God is Love. Not some sadistic blood sucking vampire. If John knew what he was writing it certainly would have helped the rest of us figure it out if he would have not been so darn abstract.

• Kurt K says:

Saucy Why can’t we be right and you be wrong? I find it facinating that I have the pleasure of talking to the one person who has figured out what the Bible really means. What sources do you use to interpret the Bible in such ways? And yes I do believe John knew what he was talking about when he wrote the book or Revelations. It is a metaphor for Rome.

• Saucy says:

Jon Genesis 9 was written by Moses regarding words from God spoken to Noah. Moses wrote this aprox. 1300 years after the death of Noah in a book that is at least 6000 years old and has gone through a multible translations. This is a book the Bible that says on the very first page that it is marred with mistakes and has grave errors. What is it about that that you don’t understand? It is very important to reference the Bible and all of it’s errors because there are aprox. a billion people on this planet that call themselves Christians and use that very verse to justify this horrific slaughter. It is called the Table of Satan in the new testament. It doesn’t matter if Paul was a meateater at the beginning of his walk with Christ. He was also a murderer. Do you really believe John knew what he was writing when he wrote the Book of Revelations?

• Saucy says:

Once again what I meant to say did not make it clearly to the page. The old testament is approximately six thousand years old four thousand years before the new testament of two thousand years ago. These sacred texts are phenomenally powerful and can be used for good or evil. Choose Good. There were alot of bad guys in the Bible. As Christians we believe Christ was not only the good guy but the Messiah. Well according to the new testament as well as many references in the old testament from prophets like Ezekiel the high priests were some pretty sneaky characters. They lied …………..alot. They wanted everything their way. They weren’t interested in Moses or Jesus. They were interested in holding on to a corrupt power structure they had assimilated. Moses was not an indecisive man who on one page wrote “under no circumstances are you to consume the “blood” of any beast bird or any living creature” and on the next page giving his blessing to those priests to consume blood and guts and kidneys. The way the text reads is it was an offering for their sins but what it really means is it was a sin to offer it in the first place. The same thing with Noah. In old Jewish texts it references some very bad things were going on on that boat. Eating animals was a curse not some kind of gift from God. Do you think God is stupid? God gives Noah instructions to the centimeter of that boat but then shorts him on the food supply……………I don’t think so folks. The people who so fervently believe because of the Noah story that God gave us animals to eat are the same people who are too cowardly to look at where there food supply is coming from. Use your brain and connect to your heart. Go VEGAN!

• Jon says:

I really don’t think the bible is a good resource to use because just as there is Gen. 129 there is also Gen. 93 Everything that lives and moves will be food for you just as I gave you the green plants I now give you everything. Bible quoting aside there are humane ways to slaughter animals and this is NOT one of them. This disgusts me.

• Kalama Halamezad says:

“Strange that all the evil things that are happening to animals is in the name of religion. On this planet we have plenty barbaric gods and people.” Huh? If that were the entirety of it then you’d think we’d have an “Animals are Not Ours to Sacrifice” section.

• Ashley says:

I know this might be a little off topic but what do you expect of someone who can’t decipher the correct use of the word “they’re” in their sentences. I would’nt expect Sarah to understand that animals do indeed feel pain.

• Erin says:

I haven’t viewed the video yet but by reading the comments so far I’m sure it is something I will have to prepare myself to watch. A chicken restaurant opened a few miles away from me and my family wanted to try it as I discourage them from KFC. They all got their chicken and I was told that the restaurant was halal. No one could explain to me what that meant only that it was humane slaughter. After a little research it is obvious that I’ve been misinformed. It is comforting to read that I am not the only one who is heartbroken about this suffering. It devastates me that it is happening constantly.

• Saucy says:

PS I just realized that part of my last post could be interpreted as if I were saying God gave us animals for food. I should have structured my sentence to say God gave us and God gave the animals these things for food. See how easily the absence of or the addition of a word or two can change the meaning of the text. One might have to study what I wrote closely or even go back to previous posts to understand what I truly meant to express. The same is true of the Bible. It is a very old book. The old testament dates back aproximately four thousand years. The foreword of the King James Version states that it is marred with mistakes and has grave errors. Look at the overall picture and choose LOVE.

• sarah says:

how any one could do this to an animal is absoulutely disgusting and revolting. the people the work in that and any slaughter house should be ashamed. would they do that to a human baby?? that is wrong on so many levels what happened to the world. how can people eat that poor baby lamb or the cow or any thing else for that matter. what makes it okay to do that to a living creature this should be illegal and who ever either eats this brand of meat or works at a slaughter house should be put in jail for life. maybe even the death sentence but the same way the innocent animals they killed had to die. hung in the air by one leg and the have their throats slit that is just… ughh people are sick

• Merryl Goldman says:

I have stopped eating meat. I cannot in good conscience allow an animal to be slaugtered so I can sit and enjoy their flesh. The people that actually perform these jobs are a bunch of cruelheartlessbastards. Someday they will have to answer for their behavior!!

• Bluebell says:

I have several points Firstly the laws regarding how animals are slaughtered in nonmuslim countries should be adhered to by all individuals regardless of their own personal beliefs. Secondly this is the twenty first century and as with other aspects of modern life religious groups have to adjust and make compromises. In New Zealand for example Halal animals are stunned prior to having their throats cut. Thirdly nonHalal methods of slaughter certainly have flaws but scientific evidence generally supports the idea that stunning prior to slaughter is the most humane method. The only way to be truly compassionate towards others whether Muslim or nonMuslim is to avoid hurting or killing them completely.

• Carla says:

Sarah another CLUELESS human being. You have no compassion or for that matter no damn brains!

• george says:

does anybody know of any animal rights activist groups in coventryengland im very passionate about animal welfare i posted leaflets through my neighbours doors today and when i was walking home somone opned the door and picked it up looked at it and threw it in the bin it made me feel like i was wasting my time and i was so disapointed that people are not botherd where there food comes from and animal experimentation im begining to lose hope.george

• Kurt K says:

Keith I suggest you go to a childrens hospital and see what they do there. I recommend taking a tour of St. Jude. You will see the best of humanity in places like this.

• keith says:

I have said many times before here in a comment after reading and viewing these and other atrocities.. ” What Hope Is There For Human Kind.” Someone please convince me !

• chris says:

their as bad as the Chinese. lets keep the slaughtering to the quickest and most painless way possible please

• S. Leclerc says:

Don’t get me wrong even though I’m more of a spiritual guy than a religeous oneI do have a lot of respect for other people’s beliefs religions I’m sure that there are many many many repectable muslims in the world since they are not all extremists. This saidI will never ever agree with any religion that causes or glorifies pain in the name of its god. To me it makes absolutely no sense that a god would “get off” witnessing that kind of horror. Peace.

• Rainbow Warrior says:

first a word to andrew dear andrew if there would not be PETA we never would be informed about this negativity! now a word to this criminal practice of killing animals this is not a muslim law and stupid criminal people like this still didn’t get it that halal just demands the bleeding of the animal but there is absolutely no islamic law which prescribes that animals must not be stunned before killed. brigitte bardot personally met the chief imam of paris mosque and he confirmed it 100 pct! unfortunately many muslims are illiterate and primitive concerning everything and most don’t even know the kuran because they cannot read it!!! so the question here is how to explain to an idiot that it’s wrong what he’s doing! because in his eyes he is the smart and the others the idiots! the best thing is to contact muslim leaders and personalities and they have to talk to their people but i doubt that they will listen! a people blowing themselves every day up in the air will neither respect animals! for the moment islam lives the darkest middle age of their history! they don’t know which treasure they could have in their hands because the islamic culture is one of the greatest ever seen on this planet but out of ignorance and stupidity they make a trash bin out of it! but peta has to do everything possible to stop this atrocity! and i’m more motivated now and for christmas i shall double my donation for peta when i renew my membership and i just beg everyone to do the same!!!!!!!!

• Saucy says:

Mark The Kingdom of God is Vegan Genesis 129. God did not give us animals to eat. “God” gave us nuts and berries seeds plants and every vine that bares fruit. God gave us vegetables and everything that grows from the ground and falls from the trees God gave us and the animals for food. This is God’s Will and Plan. Modern day Christianity has fallen victim to lies told long ago to fulfill the purposes of man not God.

• sabi says:

U r right Nancy that we get end up being a bad guy. I m a vegetarian too. we cant make the people change.

• Rev. Meg Schramm says:

Sara if the PETA video did not convince you that having one’s throat cut does not cause instant death than let me invite you to watch the video of Daniel Pearl having his head hacked off by his Muslim kidnappers while he was fully awake. Notice how long it takes and listen to his gurgling screams then tell me about how having one’s throat cut causes instant painless death.

• JULIIE ANN zSERDIN says:

anyone who thinks these animals die instantly needs to go to a slaughterhouse and watch these poor animals die. listen to them cry in terrorwatch them struggle to get away and to live. anyone who can condone this kind of horrific slaughter obiviously does not know what happens to these poor animals. anyone who can eat animal flesh knowing the horror they endure on factory farms and then the terror and cruelty of the slaughterhouse is simply callous and uncaring. NO ANIMAL SHOULD EVER HAVE TO ENDURE THE HORROR OF DYING FOR LUSTFUL HUMANS TO GORGE ON THIER FLESH. HORRIFIC MONSTEROUS BARBARIC

• animallover10101010 says:

…..i cried wen i saw this… i am sooo shocked that a living person enjoying their life…can torture another LIVING creature. thats soo sad to me. HOW CAN SOMEONE DO THAT TO A LIVING CREATURE!!!!! they feel as much PAIN an u or i would. i just dont know how sumone cud do that…how do they slit the poor creatures throat wen its staring right back at u saying “please dont do this to me wat did i EVER do to hurt u?”

• Julie van Niekerk says:

• Melissa says:

This is the sickest cruelest thing I have ever seen in my life. How can these people sleep at night? Do the cries of the sheep not bother them? I would be unemployed and living on the streets before I would EVER take a job that had anything to do with killing these innocent creatures. It makes me sick to be a human being when I see other humans doing such heartless things such as this.

• Andrew says:

Wow who goes on Peta.orgSarah just to disagree with people. do you really have nothing better to do! go somewhere else with your negativity! give me a break.

• M says:

This is sickening. Truly. To be frank it is cruelhowever due to the sheer amount of blood loss pain is actually not registered about 2 seconds after having the throat cut. Still you wouldn’t believe it after watching some of those cattle.

• Mike Quinoa says:

I can’t watch it either. Sarah You obviously haven’t viewed many undercover videos on the PETA site. Don’t tell me they die instantly when you can see a cow struggling to get to her feet with blood gushing from her throat and her trachea hanging out or when you see inverted pigs squirming on slaughterhouse chains as they proceed down the disassembly line.

• Nancy says:

I abhor this practice! We’ve lived in Indonesia for the past 8 years now and every year we refrain from getting on the street on Idul Adha. The streets near the mosques are drenched in blood. Unfortunately it’s almost impossible to make a comment about this because many people start screaming that we discriminate against Muslims and that every day other animals die in a much more terrible way or live in horrible circumstances before they get slaughtered. The only thing I personally do is indeed go vegetarian so they can’t use the last two arguments against me. As for the first if some people use religious discriminiation to victimise themselves it’s no use to have a discussion with them! You only end up being the bad guy!

• Brien Comerford says:

Jews Christians and Islam must accept that the idyllic and humane spiritual diet is vegan Genesis 129.

• S. Leclerc says:

What kind of god would agree with such ways? What kind of god would create and give life to a creature only to see it suffer and end like this? Wakeup all of you religeous freaksif your god existshe surely doesn’t want that kind of horror unless he’s the devil. I am not a religeous person but I live my life with compassion towards other beingsand that I’m sure makes me closer to what you call god than those horrors you do in his name.

• Cathey says:

This further strengthens my convictions to live a cruelty free life. To people like Sarah I feel for you. You have no compassion. That makes me very sad.

• KD says:

Shouldn’t have watched this after dinner… couldn’t they be a tad more humane? That looks more like torture…

• Safi says:

I’m disgusted. omg the thought that humans can actually do this while the animals eyes are wide open looking back at them… I’m so glad i’m vegetarian

• Amber Thompson says:

That horribel i wanna slit their throats and let them bleed out! Thats not how its supposed to be done! No way! Not everyone does that either!!!!!!

• Brittany says:

Why in the world is this legal? It absolutely shouldn’t be tradition needs to be reevaluated in this case.

• Mark Baker says:

Kyle I agree that those animals did not die instantly.It’s very sad to see animals be treated that wayBut for you to say “God” would be happier if we only ate vegetables is completely FALSE. God gave us animals on earth to eat and survive for nutrition. I would never kill a animal for sport cause that is flat out cruelty. I couldn’t kill an animal period and to be honest if I had to kill my own food I would most likely be a vegan. But being a Christian myself I wanted to correct that statement cause cause God would NOT be happier if you didn’t eat meat.Trust me when I say God would be happier if we as humans would just be kindcompassionate in all our doings and treat all how you would want to be treated.

• george says:

sarah i dont think u understand the difference between living and deadwatch the video again n the ones making noise and screaming are lining get tht sarah living

• Antoine says:

really sara? did you even watch the video? did that LOOK like they “died instantly”? and considering the age that all animals are killed they are all children when they are killed. sara compassion is central to developing a relationship with God. If you buy Halal or Kosher meat for religious reasons you could go vegetarian and God would be even happier because then no one has to die at all instantly or not

• Kyle Svendsen says:

This video has just reminded and strengthened my convictions not to have anything to do with the meat and diary industries.You must have no soul to do that for a living.

• sarah says:

carla there not babies there cattle sheep and goats and you slit there throats they die instantly

• Allie says:

There is no other way to explain it other than it hurts my heart Truly…

• Carla* says:

I feel like a part of me dies with those babies every time I make myself watch these horror places. The human race is doomed. sad