Chrissie Hynde Is ‘hatin’ it’ Across America

Written by PETA | August 24, 2009

The Pretenders’ world tour landed in Salt Lake City on Sunday—and Rock and Roll Hall of Famer Chrissie Hynde was happy to use the occasion to launch her PETA campaign urging McDonald’s to require its suppliers to upgrade to less cruel slaughter methods. In addition to using her stage as a platform to advocate a McDonald’s boycott and tossing campaign T-shirts to her audience, Chrissie unveiled her brand-new “i’m hatin’ it” ad at a Salt Lake City McDonald’s today. Check out some of the action below, and then head to KSL-TV to see how it played on the news:

Chrissie

Chrissie

Chrissie

That spectacular artwork you see there is soon to be on billboards across the country—starting with Chrissie’s hometown of Akron, Ohio. Lucky Akron! First it gets its own vegan restaurant, now this awesome billboard …

Written by Amanda Schinke

Comments

• antonio says:

I can’t belive mcdonalds, i just can’t

• Clair says:

MCDONALDS YOU ARE DISCUSTING!!!!!! NEVER EVER WILL I EAT YOUR MEALS AGAIN AND I WILL MAKE SURE EVERYONE I KNOW, KNOWS ABOUT WHAT YOU DO!

• Daniel Nickelova says:

I cant believe i used to work in one of their outlets, Im’ Hatin It for sure!

• MelyDely says:

After checking out secure.peta.org, I was shocked on how McDonald’s treats those poor chickens. I can’t believe that one of North America’s most popular restaurants refuse to stop the torturing that they’re doing! I will never eat McDonald’s again and I suggest you do the same.

• Twila says:

Why, McDonalds? Why? Why do you think money is worth more than lives? How evil can one be?

• Chris says:

I’m so glad these people put protest into action! I really hope McDonald’s switches their methods

• natasha says:

even buying their chips is a sin, i will NEVER again in my life eat at McDonalds. these money-hungry cruel demons all need to be shut down. MacDonalds- i hate you, and i will encourage all those friends of mine,and all their friends to never support you again. “When all the trees have been cut down, when all the animals have been hunted, when all the waters are polluted, when all the air is unsafe to breathe, only then will you discover you cannot eat money.’ ~ Cree Prophecy

• Jessie says:

I can’t wait for the day McDonalds gets the message and switches methods. It’s so cruel what they’re doing, and I will never eat at their restaurants again.

• carmen says:

it is super sad:( i wish we could make this people understand how important animals are on earth.

• Another in Arms says:

I am a backyard chicken addict, and proud of it. When I watched the video about the way they slaughter chickens, I just about hurled. I don’t eat meat because I disapprove of the living conditions and inhumane treatment of the animals. After viewing the vid, I went straight outside and gave my chickens a good cuddle, explaining to them how good they’ve got it. There’s just something about the touch of an animal… best medicine there is. I wish people would understand the respect they deserve.

• Jenna A. says:

Never eat at mcdonalds.I cant believe I ate chicken mcnuggets when I was little!!Probably the reson I ended up with a mild case food poisoning…DOWN WITH MCDONALDS!!!

• 4mula1 says:

get vegan burgers at kroger, ect..

• John Dohner says:

Hari Krishna, Hari Krishna, Krishna, Krishna, Hari, Hari

• save the animals! says:

omg i will never eat fast food again i will defentily be at a boy cott for this!

• blanca piliado says:

What about other countries, like Mexico?

• Kennedy says:

It is absolutley disgusting what they do to animals. I will encourage my family to boycott mcdonalds as i have done.

• Anna Charlton says:

mcdonalds you make feel sick every time i see your ads on television and other media. shame on you.

• Sarah L Nield says:

Not only did Ms Hynde write one of the greatest songs ever (Back On The Chain Gang) and has one the greatest voices in rock, it turns out she is a true animal lover. May she rock on forever. As for boycotting McDonald’s? To me, avoiding such places is as natural as breathing. I haven’t been in a McDonald’s since the early 80′s and when I first took my nieces or nephews out, and they requested McDonald’s to eat, I explained, gently, age appropriately, why McDonald’s is not a fun place, but a cruel place. Now my two older nieces (20 and 15) also refuse to enter the place.

• Eva María says:

Chrissie Hynde, you are a marvellous person. Thanks for all.

• Eva María says:

Mc Donalds is a horrible and a cruelty enterprise.It should be dissapeared.I hate Mc Donalds.

• ! says:

God job! Thank you so much.

• Sapphire says:

Chrissie Hynde ROCKS! McDonald’s pisses me off so much. I don’t understand why people eat there; it’s fattening, distasteful, and, most importantly, cruel to animals. It’s about time we all stood up for our animal friends. They’re God’s creatures too.

• Ray says:

God love you Chrissie, you have always been an inspiration to me….

• MY2CENTS says:

MCDONALDS IS NOT GOOD FOR HUMANS OR ANIMALS. THEY SUCK AND SHOULD BE MADE TO PAY TO RIGHT THE WRONG THEY HAVE DONE TO ALL FARM ANIMALS.

• mary lukowski says:

You make us think you care everyone…that should include all animals and flowls..your slaughter house is dispicable..how can you pretend to be something that you are not..I will not eat there…and wont give money to my kids for it either…

• mssskyddy says:

I’ve been a fan of Chrissie Hynde’s since “Brass in Pocket” hit the airwaves. Now that I’m a vegan — Chrissie’s example has been a constant source of motivation for me over the years — I’m so glad to see that she’s still got “Sass in Pocket” and sticking it to the worst abusers of factory farming and animal cruelty. Thanks, Chrissie, and keep on rockin’.

• mary says:

shame on you so called human ,you let animal suffer like this.you do not live a concious life.god help you people to open you’r eyes.

• Zoe says:

I have boycotted McDonald’s for almost a year now and proud of it! :) I have tried and (mostly) failed to get my friends to join me but I will keep fighting. My parents like to buy McD’s for an ‘on-the-go’ meal but I always refuse to eat it. They are fine with it (it does annoy them a little…) and I am so glad to see that PETA is helping me fight and showing me ways to help!! :)

• Sydney says:

A few weeks ago I heard of this cruelty and ever since I haven’t touched anything from McDonald’s. I even spread the word around at my school and a few of my friends are planning to protest on the last day of school. Every year most of the kids at my school flood to McDonald’s to celebrate the end of the year, although this year I bet there will be a lot less after showing images of the slaughter.

• Patricia says:

I haven’t gone to McDonald’s for this very reason for years now and won’t ever go until they show that they’re McPassionate for Animals. It’s just McMurder now!

• Giovanni Marcinari says:

FUCK MC DONALDS!! FUCK SYSTEM!!

• JJLS says:

I love wat you did you were brave and that is what i love. GOOD JOB

• SarahElizabeth says:

Love the sign. GO GETEM GIRL. please post one in Hunstville, Alabama

• mc don no longer says:

so cruel and abuse if you should be ashamed mc dondlands

• Gabi-M says:

i make an oath to everyone in this facility that i will not ever eat mcdonalds again after what i’ve just seen and read what they do to those poor animals! and to think that we didn’t know that before!!! and if i don’t you better bet that you would see me crying when i do! i thank this facility for showing me this so that i can show others and we can all work together to see that mcdolnalds either changes their mean and careless kills or see them crumble down.

• Eilidh Wood says:

I was so angry to learn that that the eggie deli is not vegetarian :(, My mum and I are both vegetarian and we had thought by using the name “veggie deli” it was veggie, never ever going near mcDonalds!!!!

• dragon_rider92 says:

PETA should come to SouthWestern College in Chula Vista in San Diego County, CA, that’s where I’m trying to start an Animal Rights Club, since they do not have one, and show the students there the truth, I currently attend as a first-year, I am a PETA member, and I volunteer at the San Diego Bird Rescue. I would be more than happy to participate help arrange for PETA to come to my school, and show everyone the truth about it!

• Ana Ebert says:

If you dont buy it, they will stop ! It is the same with all of them . Great work PETA , keep it up !!!

• tammiec says:

Thank You!! to all that are standing up for these creatures no animal deserves this!!!

• Edward Luna says:

Peta Is Great

• BLBradbury says:

Good for her. Thanks Chrissie, for being a good role model and setting the example. WE WILL NOT TOLERATE ANIMAL ABUSE!

• Riley1 says:

I did not know McDonalds treated chickens so horribly. I will no longer give them my business. Thanks PETA for all that you do!

• Rayanna says:

I think instead of protesting in front of McDonalds , and trying to get McDonalds to use a better method of slaughtering animals. You should try to get slaughter houses to use a better  method of slaughtering animals. McDonalds doesn’t pick and choose what gets to happen to there chickens before they are taken to McDonalds. I  think you guys would actually get somewhere if you try to change the problem at the source instead, like actually going to the slaughter houses and telling them. Not the places who buy the meat. But that’s just what I think.

• mystie Schlott says:

i am never eating this food again i promice you that this is not right what you gys do!!!

• Nora-V says:

Re: justaguywhocaresaboutanimals (comment posted at 1:46 AM). Thanks for encouraging others to take action! To write to McDonald’s decision makers, please visit: http://www.mccruelty.com/. And you can purchase a “McCruelty” T-shirt here: http://www.petacatalog.com/products/McCruelty_I_m_hatin_it_Standard_T_Shirt-244-26.html – Nora, PETA

• justaguywhocaresaboutanimals says:

On a different agenda from McDonald’s cruelty towards poultry; mothers, fathers, and relatives in India are illegally purchasing owls for children because of the Harry Potter films. Find out more about it on the internet. Write the governor of your state, the president of America, the president of India, or anyone else in power. Tell them that you are outraged over this, and that it is not acceptable behavior for adults to practice in. Tell them that half of the 30 species of owls in the world are being bought for these Indian children because of J.K. Rowling’s story. These are not pets like kittens or puppies, they are wild animals, and a bite from their beaks, or a scratch from their talons could be fatal! Also, tell whomever will listen that Mrs. Rowling, nor the franchise she created, are to blame.

• justaguywhocaresaboutanimals says:

Just sent a letter to the McDonald’s decision maker asking him for a saner way to slaughter chickens for its patrons to eat. Wiped out the whole pre-written statement and made one of my own. Let’s win this one for the chickens, people! Also, where can I get a McCruelty t-shirt? They’re awesome!

• Francele says:

keep on protesting! i really look up to you.

• matux says:

I love the work so that further peta super chick must live support …

• Peta_Love says:

Its great to see everyone joining in to stop this torture!