Brooke Shields: Fur Nightmare

Written by PETA | June 1, 2010

When I was a little girl, I dreamed about growing up to be a rock star. Or maybe a veterinarian. Or a roller derby queen.

I didn’t dream about anally electrocuting animals on fur farms, but apparently Brooke Shields did. The aging actor recently paid a visit (or should that be “was paid for a visit”?) to Kopenhagen Fur’s workshop to create her very own mink coat, and she said it was “a little girl’s dream.”

We understand that when some actors’ careers begin to fade, they’ll do just about anything to stay in the limelight, including appearing in eyelash-growth commercials and starring in short-lived TV shows. But Brooke, did you really want the world to remember you as a “fur pimp” who stares agog at rows of animal skins?

Brooke says that she will wear her fur coat “when I follow my children to school, when I drink coffee, and when I sleep.” Hmm, I think if you need fur to keep you warm at night, you’ve got problems.

What do you think?

Written by Paula Moore

Comments

• June Siegel says:

Brooke needs to be shown videos of minks being skinned alive. Has she not already heard of the horrible cruelty involved? How can she be this stupid? We need to send her a wakeup call!

• trina leavers says:

i am a vegan and have lots of faux fur coats wich i love and i get just as many insults for wearing them as a person wearing a real fur coat. and usualy the person having a go at me for wearing faux fur is wearing real leather shoes and handbags .i think we are all on a journey in this life and instead of wishing harm on brooke or any one wearing fur we should be educating people and helping them to see how wonderful these little animals are in there natural habitat and how wonderful they are with there young i pray for brooke and all meat eaters and leather wearers to see the error of there ways before judging others

• Dude says:

Isn’t using leather just as bad? What about those leather shoes many of you are wearing? What about those leather belt many or you are wearing? What about the saddles many people use? What about when an animal dies what are you to do with the fur? Throw it away or use it?

• clarice olender schoch says:

she only has beauty because character sentiment intelligence she never had it is dirty inside like all the other actresses who love parade with fur.

• DINA KHAZRAGI says:

She is disgusting. I pity her children for being raised ny an imbecile!

• Kim says:

I am really ashamed to live in a world with peaople of her kind ! How pathetic….

• Caroline says:

Geesus! How can we protect these animals if we don’t know what happens to them in factories. I knew the animals were being killed but didn’t know the extent of their heartless cruelty. The fashion industry glamorizes wearing fur. Don’t believe everything you hear. I believe that she’s an animals activist and trying to protect them.

• ocean17 says:

this is disgusting. what a useless soulless superficial and colorless artifact of the corporate american dream. she is trying too hard to be just another nonthinking uncompassionate inhumane conformist drone. sure this is ugly but really does all that glitz and glam prove anything at all? obviously not as these sappy spiritless and cruel endorsements of the unbelievably cruel fur trade clearly shows. go vegan. do it today.

• amy says:

Brooke you’re absolutely pathetic and disgusting. You should be embarrassed to live after this display of ignorance and cruelty. I always knew you were an hideous person on the outside now I know you’re insides matches. Don’t you realize you used to be a role model for people? You abusing your position of power like this is something you will never live down. You will live a miserable and ugly life.

• ratking says:

Lisa and for whom it may concern fact is that brooke shields was an animal rights activist for all her life! as a celebrity she should not commit such a heavy fauxpas because this is not harmless and many fans could be inspired in a bad way! she does a big big wrong to the animals because she is not an ordinary person like me and you but the world is looking at her! her attitude shows a lifelong lie towards the public for publicity reasons! there are few dogs turning back to their vomit but she is one of them together with people like cindy crawford naomi campbell senta berger isabelle adjani! adjani even went recently to canada to protest seal hunt and is topping the celebrity list of fondation brigitte bardot but yet she is sporting fur! this is not an attitude of a mature person but oportunistic insanity and a great harm to all the animal world! it would be better that such people would never have done animal protection because it is their fault that we are not taken for serious or credible or respected in the right way! fortunately brooke never did a peta ad but anyway peta should chose a handfull of honestly interested and respectable celebrities and work with them in order to avoid a continuous falldown of these supporting celebrities! quality not quantity is the right thing because animal protection is not a game or a garment which can be changed every day according to one’s whims but a serious ernest heavy matter in which the whole creation should not be at play but is at the mercy of us the human and HUMANE beings!!!! go PETA you are my love!

• cassie says:

I have always been a huge fan of Chelsea Handler on Chelsea Lately. I think she is amazing! But on todays show she bashed on PETA for attacking Brook and made jokes along the round table members about the animals killed and wearing fur. I never thought I would say this but… I have lost all respect for that Vokda loving madam. There is nothing funny about skinning an animal alive or dead to wear their decompositioned flesh! That’s just gross and I think you should have rethought that segment as anyone who knows of what goes on behind the scenes will see less of you. Thanks a lot you’ve ruined my Thursday night ritual!

• Greg says:

She is a disgusting fur hag.

• Erica says:

I’m totally surprised too I thought much better of her. Oh well. She’s on my poop list now.

• Gina says:

I used to respect Brooke Shields but all of that has changed with this single piece of news. Her words and actions here are inexcusable especially because she is an educated person or is at least purported to be. I will as far as to say that she is a bad mother this kind of lack of moral and ethical values to dismiss or be content with the cruelty with which fur is gotten cannot be conducive to being a decent model to her children. I dismiss her completely now as an artist role model. She like all other people in the public eye who support the use sale and wearing of fur are unfit for the praise they receive.

• Patty Shaw says:

Brooke you’re disgusting vile and a hag! There will come a day when you will get what you deserve I promise you that. When you’re pathetic life is worse than it already is colgate commercials I will laugh at you. You’re an aging pitiful ugly woman.

• Chris says:

suprised to hear this about Brooke. I have been a fan for 30 yrs. I remember when she did an internship at the San Diego Zoo at that time it was considered the most humane zoo. She has always lent her hand to charities so I am suprised at her callousness if this is true. It will be difficult to continue being a fan if she begins to promote fur.

• Lisa Toward says:

Fur belongs on the back of the animal its intended for… I have lost a great deal of respect for this person.

• John Carmody says:

If anyone wants to send their feelings to Brooke Shields representatives we’ve got her contact details. Please send an email to me at arancampaignseircom.net and i will mail you the details as to who you should be contacting politely of course to voice your disgust! Cheers from Animal Rights Action Network ARAN in Ireland.

• Patricia Akers says:

Well another socalled celebrity just bit the dust for me. Brooke Shields should think about the excrutiating pain those animals incurred every time she puts that dead animal on her body. I have always looked closely at labels and I completely stay away from any fur products.

• deanna stevens says:

my god! has brooke shields lost her mind. it’s heartbreaking to think of the good she could do in the world instead this. i am no longer a fan of an idiot like her. hope she sleeps well at night. maybe she could use her fur as a blanket. what a bitch!!!

• ccbloom78 says:

oh my… i used to think of her as being such a beautiful person… what sad sad news. i feel like i have to vomit. to think that this lady that i used to admire for being a “do gooder” is now an ugly fur pimp…

• Lisa says:

I wonder how many of these comments are made by people who are munching on chicken wings or a ham sandwich or nice juicy steak? Or…do they wear leather shoes coat belt etc? How about the people who buy their new puppy from the local mall’s pet store? Do you realize how your fuzzy little puppy came to be? Check out online articles on puppy mills. Let’s get real. Animals were put on this earth for a purpose. While I know there are many other ways to stay warm than to wear fur don’t chastize anyone who makes the choice to wear fur. Sometimes I’m ashamed to share oxygen with society!

• Pooja says:

She is really disgusting…I will make a conscious effort never to support anything shes doing again.

• BB says:

What a skank!!!

• meghan says:

so sad… i don’t understand!

• Kim says:

Shame on you Brooke Shields for thinking that its ok to wear Fur you make me SICK!! Do you realize how many animals it takes to make a Jacket? Its every girls dream MY A!!Wake Up!!

• chico says:

she must have gone mad because she is an animal rights activist and an active member of fondation bellerive aga khan and the humane society and world society for protection of animals where she did a great ad together with kristin davis leona lewis and joanna krupa called animals matter to me! i don’t understand this here really and i’m deeply disappointed because it shows once more that we cannot trust in celebrities! many are weak and lunatic and change their opinion from one day to another!!! i merely trust in peta who once again does a great job!!!

• Caroline says:

Just another cold hearted merciless person doing anything for attention.. I pray for all the hapless animals who were tortured and murdered because of her..

• Steph says:

Why doesn’t she take her children to watch how mommy’s coat was made? Maybe once they ran away screaming and crying she would think again about her crappy coat.

• A.T. says:

This literally makes me want to throw up. I know that many movie stars are out of touch with reality but this is ridiculous!

• Alex Macias says:

Brooke that’s why you’re a has been dear!

• Vic G. C. says:

She’s worse than Elizabeth Hurley. Enough said.

• Elizabeth Shultz says:

Hey while I think what she’s doing is wrong some of your comments seem out of line. We as vegans and vegetarians believe in the dignity of all life and yet sometimes it seems that we forget to extend that doctrine to our own species. Therefore instead of wishing harm on Brooke I simply hope that she will realize the error of her ways and repent of her wrongdoings to the animals.

• anon says:

this just breaks my heart and completely makes me sick to my stomach. i dont even know what else to say to this.

• Astrid Murrison says:

She maybe already sold her soul to the Devil???? I dont like her I never had Her problem is she sitting on her Brain A PROPHECY TO THE SELFISH AND GREEDY AND MONEY HUNGRY PEOPLE Only After the Last Tree Has been cut Down Only After the Last River Has been Poisoned Only After the Last Fish Has been Caught Only After Greedy Human Has Destroy the Earths Beauty Only then they will find that MONEY cannot be EATEN!!! Remember KARMA Will Get You and Also The ANIMAL’S Whos FUR She Wear and then don’t Forget That GOD Will Deal With You. She is one of them some forget where She Came From….

• Irena says:

What a dream ???!!! Shields are you crazy or a monster ?!

• Caroline says:

Disappointing I always thought she was ok. I hope PETA get in touch with her management to let her know the public disgust against her behaviour she just lost any remaining fans she had. Bring back a runway show where they throw blood down the catwalk to wake these people up to the barbaric reality of this practice.

• Tamsin says:

I so do not agree to animal skins for pleasure in this day and age… perhaps on a twisted level Brooke thinks she’s getting in touch with her nomadic side.

• Savannah Kronson Bach says:

Can somebody please send this woman the video showing them torturing and skinning these poor animals alive!!!! Surely she has some brains and some compassion to go with that ONCE gorgeous face. Another celebrity I definitely will not pay to see or not even look at for free! Disgraceful shame!

• Henrietta says:

If she always has to wear that coat she’s obviously the White Witch! What an icy heart she must have.

• YouveGotToBeKidding says:

Oh nooooooooo Brooke HOW COULD YOU?! She must not understand….she must have been shielded from reality to not know how many sweet lovely animals had to die for her coat. FOR SHAME!!! CHANGE YOUR WAYS BROOKE SHIELDS!!

• Natie says:

I like Pink she protects animals all over the world. She is gorgeous!Long live Pink!

• Deborah Kay Steinken says:

she just lost the VerY FEW fans she had left! there are many things to keep us warm So anyone that needs fur to keep warm defintelyyyy HAS A Severly COLD HEART!!!!!!!!! hope the eyelash commercial dumps herbecause this is bad publicity for Them!!!!!! Deborah Kay Steinken

• Edgar says:

There is no words for describe the pain these animals suffer when they are killed this woman make me sick

• jenna says:

Only God can judge her. He didn’t create animals so we could wear their skin or eat their flesh…she will get what she deserves.

• Sally Jay says:

Brooke Shields you are an IDIOT. The only good movie she made was her first Blue Lagoon the rest was crap and now I understand why she’s a DUMMY nothing upstairs.

• Nivedha says:

sadistic!

• Michelle says:

Shame on you Brooke

• Jenifer says:

As a previous poster asked how do we let her know how disappointed we are? Does Peta have some ideas? Send her a petition? Start a new facebook campaign? Any ideas?

• Joy says:

Brooke towards the light. Don’t let the dark part of force take you over. Don’t sell your soul for money blood money at that. Brooke go towards the light. Towards the light. Towards the . . . towards. . . to . . .