Bob Barker Retires From ‘The Price Is Right’

Written by PETA | June 7, 2007

News1130/Creative Commons
Bob_Barker.jpg

Apparently, the time is right for Bob Barker to step down from his throne as the king of daytime TV. The long-time host of The Price is Right has taped his final episode, which is scheduled to air on June 15. Nobody can argue that Barker’s career isn’t impressive—50 years on TV, 35 years as the host of The Price is Right, the longest running television show in world history, 17 Emmy Awards (and he’s nominated for two more this year), need I say more?

But in addition to his amazing TV career, Barker has also been a long-time animal advocate. For years he has offered grants to spay and neuter clinics in all 50 states, he’s pushed all sorts of animal-friendly legislation including the current spay/neuter bill in California, since 2001

LC Shelter/Creative Commons
Barker_and_barker.jpg

his foundation has given $8 million in grants to law schools to push along the field of animal law and of course, who can forget the way he’s ended his show every day for years on end: “Help control the pet population. Have your pet spayed or neutered.” He is the guardian of one dog and two rabbits—all rescues, of course—and his backyard has long been a safe haven for wildlife. He is also a long-time vegetarian, and the folks in our Communications department report that he’s doing surprisingly well in the World’s Sexiest Vegetarian Celebrity contest . . .

He was always busy working behind the scenes as well. While I was researching this entry, I ran across this Forbes article that explains how Barker was able to influence the show’s prizes and advertising over the years. Because he is a vegetarian, they don’t advertise meat products on the show, and at his request, they also stopped giving away fur coats as prizes. Snap!

Given the scope of his animal work over the years, I’m slightly ashamed to admit that being the sports junkie that I am, my fondest Bob Barker moment will always be him kicking Adam Sandler’s ass in the classic “The price is wrong, bitch” scene in Happy Gilmore.

AllMoviePhoto/Creative Commons
bob_barker_adam_sandler_happy_gilmore.jpg

Seriously though, I think this quote from MSNBC speaks volumes to what matters most to the man: “I think I would like to be remembered as a man who loved living things and did everything he could do to make it better for animals,” Barker said. “And when he had time, he did a lot of television shows, too.”

From all of us at PETA, cheers to you Bob Barker. Thank you for everything you’ve done throughout your career to help animals, and we can’t wait to see what’s next.

Comments

• Lisa Currie says:

I love Bob he is the Best go to utube and type in sexiest man on earth price is right.. go bob…………

• Jeanette says:

bob coins4critters in muskogee OK would like to ask for your help we are a new small non profit organization here working closely with the animal shelter to help the animals please get in touch with us to help us save more and more animals here and stop the huge numbers in unwated animals thank you

• Sonia says:

I am from Qubec city in Canada. I am french canadian and I did learn a lot from you Bob. I wish to be there with you but impossible for me to be there before your retirement!!! You gime me lot of joy and for that tank you. Also I would like to know what means spay that is not in my dictionnary and i’m steel french !!! Have a good time it is your turn now Sonia a french canadian

• Gemma Tussy says:

Bob You are a sweetie. I appreciate your professionalism and all you have done for the animals. Gemma

• Linda says:

My warmest deepest and most sincere respect for Mr. Bob Barker a wonderful man human being and greatest example for mankind. Thank you Mr. Barker it breaks my heart to watch you go off the air on the Price is Right. Most of us have grown up watching you and with you but please I beg of you to keep in touch with the world and the wonderful most outstanding work you have accomplished helping little innocent creatures. I was absolutely moved when I seen you Mr. Barker protesting against FUR. I want to let you know that you are an inspiration to alot of us civized human being and just human nature of the most wonderful kind you will be missed!!!!! Always keep in touch. With Love and Affection Linda Gonzales PO Box 94553 Albuquerque NM 87199

• Michele says:

Way to go Bob! You are one classy guy! Compassion is VERY sexy… no wonder he is doing so well in the voting for sexiest celebrity vegetarian.

• Helen says:

Thank you Bob for all the joy and wonderful times we have had watching your show. Always remembering our beloved animals when signing off.. Wish there were more like you to help our animals. Thank you for your kindness to all animals. I too am an animal lover. Thank you again for always being there for the animals. Happy to know that you will still be working for the animals welfare. What a blessing and an honor to have known someone like you. Good Luck Bob!! You will be truly missed!! God Bless.

• Morgan says:

what an awesome dude

• Rosemary says:

I love everything about Bob Barker but I especially love all he has done and is doing for animals. He is a kind soul and friend to all animals as I am. Being an animal lover and animal rights activist I applaud you Bob and it is with a heavy heart that I say I am saddened that I won’t see you on The Price Is Right anymore. I understand that you are guardian to a dog and 2 rabbits. I have 2 dogs and 2 rabbits. I just love rabbits! Let us live with the hope that all people one day will realize that animals are God’s creations put here on this earth for us to care for and to see that they have everything they need to survive and live natural lives as we should do. God loves us all! Keep helping animals Bob and have a happy retirement!

• KevinSeanO says:

I can’t think of any other single person in this country who has done more for animals than Bob Barker.

• William E. Beck says:

Bob thank you for speeking up for animals and stop the abuse Citizens all over the world do to our Creators our Creature we share the World with. As the most Civalized advanced and Powerfull nation in the world Tahnk you for all your work for this planets creatures from me William E. BeckOhio. Also can you help stop animal reaserch using live Creatures in Experiments. I am presently working with Congressman and Senators from ohio to make stiffer penalties for animal abuse. I want to see this befopre my last day on this planet and my gift to the good citizens around the world that spek up for animals and give them a chance to share this beutifull worls sharing it until all Creatures become extinct. I fermally think thaT this world will become all vegitarian and stop killing animals so harmless to human Mammals that we share this world with us. Contact me for further commant. Tank you Bob in your lifelong endivors for speeking up for animals and being such a leader in this world and i ill tell the whole world until my last day on earth how great you are. I too speak up for animals but am only 46 and have alote of time to work on peaople advocates around the world Thank you Sincerily Willaim E. Beck p.o. Box 716 AshlandOhio 44805 4192899070 Cell Ph. 4199088940

• C.C. says:

Thanks Bob for being a great friend to animals. I was very impressed with all he has done for animals not to mention his great attitude with people. There needs to be more people like him in the world. Way to go!!!!

• Chris says:

There’s a hole in my sickday heart now.

• Michael says:

If you’re looking for a great vegetarian role model to aspire to you’ve got one. One of the reasons I went veg is so many of the people I admire are veg. When I found out that a classy wellloved guy like Bob was veg that was good enough for me. Thanks Bob!

• Tamara says:

I didn’t know his foundation gave grants to promote animal law in addition to all the other things he does for animals. Way to go Bob!! Thank you for all you have done and are doing to help animals!

• K says:

The price is wrong bitch lmao! never seen the movie Aww Mr. Barker sounds like a wonderfully sweet man! I wish him much happiness and success in the future!

• Giselle says:

Jack how could you blog about TPIR without mentioning Plinko or that game where the little yodeling dude goes off the edge of the cliff?