Animals Skinned Alive for Faux ‘UGGs’

Written by PETA | October 6, 2011

Just when you thought that footwear involving the mutilation of millions of sheep couldn’t get any ugglier, several makers of knock-off UGG-style boots have been found to use fur from animals who were beaten and skinned alive. Tests conducted on products labeled as “Australian sheepskin” found that they were actually made of raccoon dog fur, most likely from animals confined to barbaric Chinese fur farms.

Raccoon dogs are confined to row upon row of tiny wire cages that are exposed to the elements. Many of the animals go insane from the intensive confinement. Undercover video footage shows raccoon dogs as they are dragged from cages and slammed repeatedly to the ground before being skinned while still conscious. Some survive for as long as 10 minutes, blinking in pain on a pile of other bodies.

The tests also found that some boots contained domestic dog fur, which made it into Australia despite the country’s ban on dog and cat fur.

Since you never can be sure whose fur ends up on your boots, coat, or gloves, the best thing to do is avoid all fur.

Written by Heather Faraid Drennan

Comments

• Mother duck says:

animals don’t have a voice so we need to speak for them and protect them from the beasts known as man.

• :\\ says:

i’m using this in my speech for school. i know many kids at the high school wear these boots and i plan to show them the truth >:) I mean it’s not completely the fact that we use animals for resources but it is mainly the practices that are used now to get them!!! i mean we have “harvested” animals for hundreds of years and we survive off of them. but the difference between now and then is that people use cruel and unnecessary practices! i mean what is the point of skinning it alive?!!!?!

• Carson Scott says:

PEOPLE ARE ANIMALS, WHAT THE HELL DO THEY THINK MAKES THEM SUPERIOR AND GIVES THEM THE RIGHT TO ARROGANTLY CARRY-OUT SUCH ATROCITIES?!?! THIS IS BEYOND EVIL, NO WORDS CAN DESCRIBE HOW SATANIC THIS IS. IT’S ACTS LIKE THESE THAT PROVE TO THE WHOLE WORLD THE FACT THAT “HUMANS” ARE THE ONLY BARBARIC ORGANISIMS ON THIS PLANET. NO ANIMALS OR LIVING ORGANISIMS OTHER THAN HUMANS SKIN EACH OTHER LIVE FOR VANITY. ASHAMED TO BE “GENETICALLY” TIED TO THE HUMAN RACE! ASHAMED TO CALLED A HUMAN.

• Martina says:

In Ireland it is disgusting. Younbg irish people do NOT CARE AT ALL about animals. All girls walk around with UGGS and fur and leather.

• Mangoman says:

This makes awful viewing but if you have any feeling at all for our four legged friends it is something you just cannot ignore. People are simply losing their sense of humanity!!

• jocylfroot says:

i don’t understand why they have to skin them alive. WHY??? I hate this world!!!!!!

• Sherry says:

Here’s how you stop this regardless of where it’s from China, Netherlands, USA or Canada …. STOP BUYING FUR or Leather products or anything that contains fur/leather and this horror will stop!!

• thisisme says:

to everyone who keeps saying bad things about China, we have fur farms and abused animals here in America and ALL over the world. This site is proof of that. it’s not people for the ethical treatment of animals in China. If you want to stop animal cruelty, all you have to do is look in your own backyard. just saying

• tina says:

If we close our eyes and turn our heads to animal cruelty, we are doing nothing to help them. Remember your pain is their pain!

• pawscauses says:

This is insane! How do these people live with themselves. They’ve completely lost all sense of humanity. It just makes me sick. I couldn’t watch. How would they like to be skinned while still alive. Don’t they realize these raccoon dogs feel pain. Horrific!!

• Rodrigo says:

This is horrible but necessarily to wacht so people can believe in animal crueltly.

• Agnetha says:

This is really awful !! Come on people stop this !!

• Jade Collister says:

:'(. I swear I started crying when I watched the video. This is exactly why I don’t want to go to China!!! D;

• Lauren says:

I couldn’t even watch this barbaric video I didn’t even try, I know it would haunt me forever. How can we stop animal cruelty in China? How do we stop it worldwide? There is so much of it going on. Will people ever learn? One person, one voice, all we can do is boycott.

• kittycat says:

why do they do this to them poor animals. if you have a pet then you should feel bad to wat they do to them people we should go against even though they r cool its not cool to have ur pet skinned alive!

• Kylee-Smiley says:

these poor animals. people are so greedy and desire “fur coats” and other clothing made of animal fur. dont they realize what these animals have to go through just to please us?? animals have feelings too. mother nature didnt make animals for these reasons. these people should be ashamed of themselves.

• Freedom says:

This is awful, it made me literally sick. How could a human being be so cruel? Im flabberghasted.

• Chris says:

Why isn’t the whole world acting to stop these people????? Now!!!

• Romy xx says:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do something about this i cant stand to watch these innocent animals suffer a painful horrible fate thank you

• Tara says:

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do something to stop this PETA!!! I read about this a week or so ago and i am haunted by the image of one of those poor desperate raccoon dogs faces as it was skinned alive. It wakes me up at night. I would love to help in any way i can to stop this happening….

• M says:

STOP THESE EVIL DOINGS NOW!!!!!

• stephen kemp says:

its so awful and cruel and barbaric , what are these china people thinking of , why do things like this , why isit not stopped and banned and people prosecuted , fur is not needed the fake fur looks just as good leave the real fur on the animals where it belongs

• Debe says:

I have no respect for China. If they aren’t disposing of infant girls with iodine in the soft spot, they are skinning animals alive. Inhuman – May God have mercy on your souls.

• Gaylene says:

I have been haunted by these images and the horrific suffering of these poor creatures and the dogs and cats as well.. Even while i am writing this more animals are being cruelly killed.. how can someone film that and NOT act to save the animal… it just breaks my heart and send me into a rage of helplessness…

• Tessa-marie says:

I believe even though it’s hard not to think and speak terribly of the people doing this. I believe that god has not entered into there life which is why doing this is so easy because there is no reason why not to. I think we must just love the animals spread the word of fur, boycott, protest to the government to ban all fur what so ever. and just love animals because that is why we should be taking action because we love animals not just because we hate what the people are doing. because hate doesn’t change anything it only spreads more hate.

• Deb Fahey says:

These people should be skinned alive as well.

• Alejandra says:

WE CAN HELP BY PASSING THIS INFORMATION TO THE PEOPLE THAT BUYS THIS BOOTS, ALSO ANY BRAND WE KNOW THAT SELLS ANY KIND OF FUR, FAUX FUR (WICH IS REAL FUR), WE CAN LOOK UP THEIR PAGES AT FACEBOOK AND SENT MESSAGES WITH THIS INFORMATION TO PEOPLE WHO LIKES THAT PAGE, THAT WAY WE KNOW FOR SURE THEY BUY THIS AND WE HAVE TO BE ASSERTIVE TO TELL THEM THIS, THEY OBVIOUSLY DON’T KNOW AND WE HAVE TO BE POLITE AND LET THEM KNOW THEY HAVE THE CHOICE TO STOP BUYING FROM THIS PLACES. ALSO IS IMPORTANT REMINDING THEM FAUX FUR IS MADE FROM DOGS AND CATS AND IF THEY SUPPORT FAUX FUR THEY ARE SUPPORTING THE WHOLE TRADE. THE TREND HAS TO END , WE HAVE TO TAKE CARE OF NOT BUYING ANY BOOTS, JACKETS WITH FURRY NECKS, HATS, ANYTHING EVEN TOYS THAT HAVE FURRY THINGS, BECAUSE BY WEARING NORMAL CLOTHES WE ARE MAKING THE STATEMENT OF FASHION, TRENDS END WHEN PEOPLE ARE NOT INTO IT ANYMORE, SO WE CAN WEAR ANYTHING GREAT THAT HAS NO FUR IN IT TO SHOW THAT IS COOLER. FUR LOOKS BETTER ON THEIR OWNERS.

• dee says:

why didn,t the person filming this put a stop to this horror?

• Zandra says:

We can’t leave that like this. Is PETA going to do something about this.

• Kim Schmidt says:

Why do we continue to hurt animals for our own vanity-synthetic is cheap to produce and is just as warm and fashionable/warm

• Sue says:

What is wrong with people? Why is the girl in the one post asking why this is horrible? No one in their right mind can fail to see that this wrong on so many levels. Abuse of any kind is unacceptable. Lets lock up the abusers in the tiniest cages we can find and leave them their for the rest of their natural lives.

• Ioana Cristina Pop says:

JUST STOP IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I never buy fur products & I’m vegetarian!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Gayle Scott says:

What can I do to help stop this horrofying thing that they are doing to these raccoon dogs ? I want to help in ANY way. I am horrified and want this to stop, no I would never dream of EVER buying anything that had any animal fur in it, but I want to help .. what do I do first ? I already signed your petition, but I saw how many just one day can kill … they are so beautiful and so helpless, and can’t they at least kill them before they skin them alive … unreal ..

• Deborah Salonek says:

stop this horrific cruelty, stop them from the horrible behavior and do not import any fur from them. NO FUR, NO SUFFERING!

• Emma says:

This is awful yyyy?

• Jennifer says:

It breaks my heart to see this over something so superficial as boots. Really, this is so unnecessary.

• jennifer says:

These barbarians should be subjected to exactly the same torture and fate as the defenseless animals have been in their hands. Consumers must be educated as to the immeasurable injustice and suffering which their purchases of such products support. PETA, you are my heroes for taking on exactly this task.

• Louise says:

Omg i just cant understand how humans can commit such horrifying acts. I am also surprised how many people have zero clue that this stuff really happens. I am completely heartbroken.

• Beverley Muller says:

Please lets unite against this cruelty. I dont buy anything from CHINA even if I must treble the price.

• christine marmonnier says:

shameless !

• Ky says:

Such cowards! I’m sad to say I won two pairs of UGGS, but no more. I will be selling them! I never realized they were cruelty in a boot.

• Mariaclaudia says:

Barely readable, NOT watchable, sooooo much pain, speechless…this must stop! and those people, **** them! Please everyone, sign as many petitions as you can! and boycott fur! even those designers you like, fur is unacceptable this way, think about it, make the difference! Thank you!

• george metaxas says:

barbaric…this must stop!

• allisonf says:

This isn’t right.

• Mayara Rutto says:

:( No to any cruelty!!!

• Babycakes says:

I became a vegan the moment I started watching meet your meat on this website, and I’ve been a PETA member ever since. The fact that people can’t manage to avoid killing animals is completely appalling. I can’t even wrap my head around the things that The human race finds acceptable.

• Lisa says:

Stop this animal cruelty!! How can we allow human beings to cause this pain and suffering to these animals. NO FUR and stop them, please.

• Lisa says:

This is absurd!! This animal cruelty must stop! NO FUR and please help these poor animals suffer, please.

• Drew says:

These people are sick.

• unknown says:

Do they actually make uggs out of that fur? That is terrible!