Amy Hearts H and M

Written by PETA | February 19, 2008

While Jack is away in Cali, I pledged that I wouldn’t make The PETA Files too girly. Not that I’m really known to be the type of girl who focuses on clothes or make-up more than, say, how the Saints are a better football team than the Redskins. But in the absence of the second-best PETA blogger, I vowed to keep girl talk to a bare minimum—that is, until I found a reason to write about H&M.

In addition to turning out trendy clothing that is both affordable and stylish enough for all of us hipster wannabes (Jack included), H&M is now on my list of top places to shop for an even better reason. The international retail giant has pledged to stop buying cruelly produced Australian wool!

That’s right! In addition to already carrying a wide variety of synthetic leather purses and an abundance of cruelty-free clothing, H&M is going a step further by pledging to buy more wool from countries that don’t use mulesing—the crudest, cruelest, and cheapest method used for flystrike “prevention.” H&M also vows to ensure that the Australian merino wool used in its designs comes only from farmers that don’t practice mulesing.

To learn more about mulesing—in which Australian farmers use shears to cut chunks of skin and flesh from lambs’ backsides, without any painkillers—please visit SaveTheSheep.com.

- Amy

Comments

• RJ says:

For those of you that don’t know mulesing is done to actually save the life of sheep and before you comment on how cruel it is to mules a lamb remember that every lamb that is mulesed wont die a slow very agonising death by infection from fly strike. Yes they experience pain as a lamb from the procedure but they dont later die being eaten alive by thousands of maggots. Realise farmers are not in the business of hurting animals they are trying to put food on the table to feed their families. If your woried about cruelty to animals go after the real culprits people who own pets and lock them in there house and never let them see the light of day because they don’t want anything to happen to “their pet” but they a to lazy to walk them everyday!

• DR.TOULA GUILFOYLE says:

HM SHOULD BE COMMENDEDI USED TO BUY CHANEL BUT REFUSE TO SPEND MONEY ON ANY DESIGNERS WHO USE LEATHER AND FUR!

• rojo says:

Pamela L HM haven’t said they won’t purchase Australian wool only that they won’t buy wool from mulesed sheep.

• Pamela L. says:

I must start by saying I have’ done a lot of reading up on Australian wool production muelsing and it is completely vile and horrifying Good for HMtheir decision is a PLUS for our animal friends. I also wanted to say that I am not a fan of Madonna as many of you are not she is still spotted wearing fur accessories. Totally unnacceptableMy point she recently had a line of clothing at HM locations and it was reported that she was seen wearing a tshirt that stated “people shouldn’t wear dead animals” this still doesn’t make me a fan but I have to contemplate that even baby steps towards improving the lives of our precious animal friends and changing ones ways no matter how slightly can’t be a bad thing! My little sister asked me if she could share a few words “I would just like to say how wonderful it is to hear that HM will no longer be using Australian wool anymore!!! I’m sure we are all aware that very cruel methods were used to obtain that fabric so this is a big step in the right direction. I would also like to add a tidbit about my favorite artist Madonna. Many of you may not know that she produced a clothing line last year that was specifically being marketed by HM. I know she is not perfect she still has reportedly been seen wearing fur but I like to think that her teaming up with the chain could be a step in the right direction. I hope more stores continue to find ways to bring us cool fun clothing and products that do not cause ANY harm or pain for any beautiful animals. There is already far too much of that in our world.”Jen L. Three things I can attest that Jen cares very much about animal welfare as does everyone in our family. Check out Madonna’s video for the song “Cherish” with all those precious dolphins. To Amy I can’t resist a little girly talk because I love my makeup and skin care one word AVON Thanks to everyone for hearing what we had to say and we must not forget what a “living nightmare” Australian muelsing continues to be for the animals.

• erica says:

peta make converse to hm to make it no wool pretty please. i’m also for human rights too.

• rojo says:

Thanks to Peta’s agreement with the Australian wool industry specifically the clause by peta requiring the ability to differentiate mulesed and unmulsed wool the Wool industry has been doing just that. HM acount for about 0.5 of the Aust. wool clip fortunately around 30 of Australian sheep aren’t mulesed. HM have agreed to continue purchasing Aust. wool provided it hasn’t come from mulesed stock. Fair enough. hi maya farm traceability has become a huge focus as customers feel more secure. I grow cotton and each bale that I sell can be traced back to the very field in which it is grown. Actually a small area within that field.

• Ana says:

Candice L. and Brandon I agree with your comments! See mine February 19 349. Leave the sheep alone and no one gets hurt!!! That’s a victory! Don’t wear or eat sheeplambs.

• Mike Quinoa says:

Candice You can only put your pants on one leg at a time. “Don’t do nothing because you can’t do everything. Do Something. Anything.”

• Maya, CVT says:

Hi Amy! Love your cooking blog so glad you’re here! Today I heard a news story about a new technology that would allow stores to track their clothing back to the factory where it’s made and to the very “farm” where the fabric came from all kinds of implications there! Hopefully it may be helpful for awareness of crueltyfree clothing!

• Nancy says:

It’s always great to hear about steps like this baby steps though they may be but one has to ask how stores like HM can produce such cheap merchandise. I haven’t done the research to know if it’s the case with HM but usually low prices on the rack mean human animals have been exploited in the production phase. I love a good deal as much as anyone but I’ll continue shopping at thrift stores rather than supporting de facto sweat shops or companies that hire them. Fashion doesn’t have to be cruel. To anyone.

• Steven says:

I think the news that HM is not buying cruelly produced Australian wool is totally great. But if you want to really make an ethic purchase you should consider as well workers who make their clothes in India are being paid as little as as low as 1.13 for a ninehour wages so low the workers claim they sometimes have to rely on government food parcels. Another tailor who makes clothes for HM said that when she could not achieve her production targets the clothes were thrown in her face. She said up to 15 workers a day collapsed and had to be given medical attention. Workers and unions claim the conditions in the factories led to two tragic incidents this year. Cruel exploitation to humans or to animals is equally unacceptable. httpwww.guardian.co.ukbusiness2007sep03retail.supermarkets

• John Carmody says:

Way to go H M!!!!!

• Amber Falobas says:

THANKS HM!! Although I prefer Hot Topic. I do see leather in their shoes sometimes…and I just hang my head. I buy my band tshirts and cartilage rings from there. But nothing else. maybe a magazine or two also. lol

• Brandon Becker says:

While less cruelty is certainly preferable to more buying nonmulesing wool is missing the point. All sheep used for wool are ultimately killed usually shipped thousands of miles on boats to the middle east to be ritually slaughtered. These living feeling beings are seen as nothing more than resources for human gain. Considering that it is completely unnecessary for humans to wear wool the best thing anyone can do is refuse to buy or wear it. Let the sheep live choose plant alternatives.

• Mabel says:

I looked at the link about mulesing and I don’t get it. Why is cutting the animals’ skin off with shears to get their wool supposed to be easier faster and cleaner than just shaving them? I would think the wool producers would stop this practice just because it’s not practical in addition to the fact that I’d think workers would resist doing it. I don’t understand why a business wouldn’t choose a less cruel method when it seems the less cruel method almost certainly won’t cost significantly more!

• Ana says:

Don’t wear sheep or lambs don’t eat sheep or lambs. Leave these docile sweet creatures alone!!! That’s how you can save the sheep.