AC Officer Goes Out With a Bang on Craigslist

Written by Heather Faraid Drennan | December 7, 2011

Fed up with people who refuse to spay and neuter their animals, people who want someone to wave a magic wand and find a home for their “eight-year-old Rottweiler [who] spent his entire life chained to a tree,” and people who allow their dogs to run loose, leaving others to scoop up “Scooby with a plastic bag,” a frustrated animal control officer posted an off-the-hook “I quit!” rant on Craigslist that’s going viral.

“I wish to god that there was a mandatory spay/neuter law and that the penalty for breaking it was to be forced to spend a day working in the euthanasia room,” writes the shell-shocked shelter worker. “Every dog or cat you carelessly add into this world takes away a home for a dog or cat that is already here. So breeding means killing … so have a good day, executioners! I hope the 50 bucks you made off that puppy sure feels good.”

The ex-ACO goes on to explain that there’s no such thing as a “no-kill” shelter.

I hate to burst your collective bubble … They simply send the unplaceable pets across the street to Animal Control who do the killing for them.

Don’t send another animal control officer over the edge: Always spay or neuter your dogs and cats and urge your friends, relatives, and neighbors to do the same. Support your local open-admission shelter by volunteering to clean the cages, walk the dogs, and play with the cats. And give a hardworking shelter worker a hug.

Comments

• Bill says:

I am an A.C.O. in a rural NC county and I can fully understand where he is comming from. I get so frustrated with people and sometimes the leagel restrictions that I have to follow. I feel that I have done some good and I enjoy some aspects of my job but some days are mighty hard. I have been in this job for three years and sometimes this job really gets to me.

• Alicia says:

Do the math, if everyone spayed/neutered their pets there would be NONE in just 15-20years. Thats sad. Education is key, plus maybe people who want to breed their animals should be inspected and licenced. That would weed out all the “back yard” breeders

• Vicky says:

I have great respect for the man who spoke out against people just letting their animals run wild and breed indiscriminatly. People let their animals go out without being neutered and it should be government funded. Some of these poor strays even end up in Labs.

• Vicky says:

• Anonymous says:

If they want you to fix your animals maybe they shouldn’t make it so expensive.

• @hicksrb says:

It’s about time more people speak up. There needs to be stiff penalties (jail time – fines). If they can’t take care of their animals I can only imagine what they do with kids!

• Rev. Meg Schramm says:

At the shelter were I interned while learning animal care, the people working in the euthanasia room were inmates from the county jail across the street. One of the inmates was serving his sentence as a convicted animal abuser. The inmate told me that the judge said “Since you enjoy killing animals so much, I am sentencing you to doing just that every single day of your one year in county jail.” The inmate went on to tell me he no longer enjoyed it, in fact it made him sick. He also told me he was on a permanent ban from owning animals, which he admitted he deserved.