2 Tbsp. oil
2 medium onions, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cups button mushrooms, chopped, or 2 cups chopped mixed vegetables like red peppers, green peppers, yellow peppers, baby corn, or carrots (any combination of vegetables or any single vegetable can be used)
1 jalapeño, chopped, or dried chili flakes, to taste
1 tsp. dried oregano
2 cups tomato purée
1/3 cup silken tofu, creamed
1/3 cup grated nondairy Parmesan
Salt, to taste
8 corn tortillas cut into 2-inch-by-4-inch strips
1/2 cup grated nondairy cheddar cheese
1 cup salsa
• Heat the oil in a pan and add onions and garlic. Stir until transparent.
• Add the vegetables, jalapeño, and oregano and stir for about 2 to 3 minutes.
• Add the tomato purée and stir well and bring to boil.
• Add the creamed tofu, stirring continuously.
• Stir in the nondairy Parmesan.
• Season with the salt.
• Add the tortilla strips and stir well.
• Pour into a baking dish and sprinkle with the nondairy cheddar cheese. Bake in a preheated oven at 375°F for about 20 minutes, until the “cheese” is slightly browned.
• Serve hot with the salsa on the side.
Makes 4 servings