For the Glaze:
2 cups B-grade maple syrup
Juice of 2 lemons
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
Zest of 1 orange
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 cup Earth Balance margarine
• Combine the maple syrup, juices, zest, salt, and pepper in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, or until reduced by 1/3 and syrupy.
• Remove from the heat and whisk in the margarine 1 Tbsp. at a time.
For the Skewers:
1 1/2 lbs. extra-firm tofu
2 large onions, cut into 3/4-inch dice
1 yellow pepper, seeded and cut into 3/4-inch dice
1 green pepper, seeded and cut into 3/4-inch dice
1 red pepper, seeded and cut into 3/4-inch dice
1 1/2 lbs. whole cherry tomatoes
1 lb. whole crimini mushrooms
10 garlic-herb skewers or bamboo skewers
4 Tbsp. olive oil
• Thread the tofu, onions, peppers, tomatoes, and mushrooms on the skewers.
• Brush with the olive oil and grill for 3 minutes on each side, or until the vegetables are softened and browned.
• Brush with the prepared glaze and cook for 2 minutes on each side, or until caramelized.
• Brush with additional glaze and serve immediately.
Makes 10 skewers