1 lb. leeks
Cold water sufficient to cover the leeks and potatoes
1 1/4 lbs. potatoes, peeled
1 lb. sweet potatoes, peeled
2 Tbsp. vegan margarine
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup minced garlic
2 cups soy milk
2/3 cup dried currants
1/4 cup fresh thyme
Salt and pepper, to taste
• Trim the leeks and halve lengthwise. Slice crosswise into 1/4-inch pieces and soak in cold water for 10 to 15 minutes.
• Soak the potatoes and sweet potatoes in a separate bowl of cold water for 10 to 15 minutes.
• Remove the leeks from the water.
• In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the margarine with the olive oil. Add the leeks and garlic. Reduce the heat and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes, or until the leeks are softened. Add the soy milk and bring to a simmer. Cook for another 5 minutes.
• Stir in the currants, thyme, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
• Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 5-quart casserole dish.
• Slice the potatoes and sweet potatoes into 1/4-inch-thick rounds.
• Arrange a layer of the potatoes on the bottom of the casserole dish and season with the salt and pepper. Spoon 2 Tbsp. of the leek mixture on top. Repeat the process with the sweet potatoes. Continue to alternate until all the potatoes have been used. Press the top of the casserole down and drizzle with the remaining leek mixture.
• Bake for approximately 50 to 60 minutes, or until the casserole is bubbling around the edges and the potatoes are cooked. Cook for 10 minutes before serving.
Makes 8 to 10 servings