6 cups fresh peaches, peeled and sliced (see directions below)
3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1/4 cup firmly packed light-brown sugar
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/8 tsp. allspice
2 Tbsp. margarine, cut into small pieces
1 Tbsp. soy or rice milk (plain or vanilla)
1 tsp. sugar
• Prepare a vegan pie-crust dough and refrigerate, or use store-bought vegan pastry dough.
• Pre-heat the oven to 375ºF.
• To peel the peaches, drop them into boiling water for a few seconds, remove, then cut off the skin.
• Place the peaches in an 8-inch square baking dish or 2-quart casserole.
• Mix the flour, brown sugar, nutmeg, and allspice in a bowl.
• Combine the flour mixture with the peaches, mixing gently until coated.
• Sprinkle the pieces of margarine onto the peaches.
• On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry to be 1 inch larger than the casserole dish. Lay the pastry on top of the peach-filled casserole dish and press around the top of the dish, crimping the edges with a fork. Cut off any excess pastry.
• Brush the pastry with the soy or rice milk and sprinkle with the sugar. With a sharp knife, cut 4 slits in the pastry to allow steam to escape.
• Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the crust is golden.
• Serve warm along with a scoop of vanilla soy or rice ice cream.
Makes 9 servings