1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup water
1 lb. vegan steak strips, chopped (try Morningstar Farms Meal Starters Steak Strips)
6 Tbsp. vegan margarine
1 large onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 pkg. veggie bacon, chopped (try Lightlife brand)
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
2 pastry crusts
1 tsp. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. raisins (optional)
Fresh parsley, chopped, to taste
1 large carrot, chopped
1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 1/4 cups dark beer
1/4 cup vegetable stock
Salt and pepper, to taste
• In a large bowl, combine the flour with the salt and pepper. Set aside.
• In a separate bowl, combine the soy sauce and the water. Add the “steak” strips and toss to coat.
• In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the margarine and cook the onion until golden brown. Quickly sauté the garlic.
• While the onion is cooking, brown the “bacon” in the oil in a large skillet. Drain on paper towels and crumble.
• Lightly grease a deep-dish pie pan and line with 1 of the pastry crusts. Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes, until lightly browned.
• Add the “steak” and “bacon” to the onion-garlic mixture. Add the brown sugar, raisins, parsley, carrot, bell pepper, beer, and vegetable stock. Season with salt and pepper. Stir and cook for 5 minutes, until thick. If too thick, add more beer or vegetable stock. Taste and adjust the seasonings.
• Spoon into the pie crust. Cover with the remaining crust. Bake for 25 minutes, or until the pastry is browned.
Makes 6 to 8 servings