1 1/2 lb. ripe Roma and Beefsteak tomatoes
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup vegetable broth
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
Sea salt, to taste
Black pepper, to taste
1 Tbsp. lime juice
Hot sauce, to taste
1/2 avocado, diced
3 tsp. minced fresh chives
• Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Core each tomato and cut a small “x” in the skin on the bottom.
• Blanch 2 or 3 tomatoes for 15 to 20 seconds, or until the skins start to peel. Immediately transfer to a large bowl of iced water. Repeat with the remaining tomatoes. Peel with a paring knife. Cut in half horizontally and coarsely chop, squeezing out the seeds.
• In a blender or a food processor, purée the garlic clove and the chopped tomatoes. Add the broth, cumin, salt, pepper, and lime juice, puréeing until smooth. Pour into a metal bowl, set in a bowl of iced water, and stir occasionally until very cold.
• Using the hot sauce, salt, pepper, and lime juice, adjust the flavor.
• Divide the avocado and the chives between two chilled bowls, top with the soup, and serve.
Makes 2 servings