1 lb. firm tofu
1/2 pint vegetable stock
4 Tbsp. soy sauce
2 Tbsp. toasted sesame oil
1 Tbsp. garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. ginger, minced
1 Tbsp. sesame seeds
1/2 tsp. Chinese five-spice powder
• Wrap the block of tofu in a clean, lint-free towel and place in a colander in the sink. Put a plate and a heavy can or other weight on top of the towel-covered tofu for 30 minutes.
• Preheat the oven to 350°F.
• Remove the tofu from the towel and cut into 1/2-inch slices. Lightly oil a 22×33-centimeter (or thereabouts) oven dish, place the tofu slices in the dish in a single layer and set aside.
• In a small bowl or measuring jug, whisk together the remaining ingredients and pour the mixture over the tofu slices.
• Bake for 15 minutes. Remove the dish from the oven, carefully turn the tofu and bake for 10 to 15 minutes longer or until all the liquid has been absorbed.
• Use as sandwich slices, add to a stir fry, or dice for use in salads, sandwiches and side dishes. The tofu will keep for 5 to 7 days if refrigerated in an airtight container.
Makes 8 to 9 slices