1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 cup pistachios, roasted and ground
1/4 tsp. (or more) anise seeds, toasted and ground
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 Tbsp. plus 1 1/2 tsp. vegan margarine
1 1/2 tsp. olive oil
1/3 cup plus 1 Tbsp. maple syrup
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. salt
8 oz. vegan chocolate chips
1/4 cup finely chopped pistachios
• Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a lightly greased baking sheet with parchment paper.
• In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, ground pistachios, anise seeds, and baking powder until well combined. Set aside.
• In a small bowl, whisk together the vegan margarine, olive oil, maple syrup, vanilla, and salt.
• Add to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined, forming a dough. Divide in half.
• Place on the prepared baking sheet and shape into 2-inch-wide and 9-inch-long “logs.”
• Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until slightly firm. Cool for 10 minutes.
• Cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Place back on the baking sheet and bake for 5 to 6 minutes, or until just firm in the center.
• Melt the vegan chocolate chips in a double boiler or in the microwave.
• Dip the flat bottom of each cookie into the melted chocolate and then into the chopped pistachios. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
• Harden in the refrigerator for 10 minutes. Serve.
Makes approximately 1 dozen