2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
Juice of 1 lemon
1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp. soy milk
1/2 cup margarine, at room temperature
Zest of 1 lemon
1 cup sugar, plus extra for sprinkling on top
3 Tbsp. Egg Replacer
1/4 cup poppy seeds
1/4 tsp. lemon extract
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
• Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin tin.
• Mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
• In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, soy milk, vanilla, and lemon extract. Set aside.
• Beat the margarine, zest, and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add the egg replacer, then stir in the poppy seeds.
• Fold the flour mixture into the margarine mixture, alternating with the soy milk mixture, until just combined. Do not over mix. Divide evenly into the muffin tin and sprinkle liberally with the sugar.
• Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 20 to 25 minutes.
Note: You can fill the muffins with raspberry preserves by filling a sandwich bag with preserves and cutting a tip of the bag off to create a small hole. Press the open end into the hot muffins (they have to be fresh out of the oven) and squeeze a little bit of the preserves into the muffins.
Makes 1 dozen