4 leeks, cleaned and sliced
4 slices white bread, cubed
1/4 cup soy milk
1 onion, finely chopped
3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
2-4 Tbsp. flour
Salt and pepper, to taste
Vegetable oil for frying
• Cook the leeks in boiling salted water until tender.
• Meanwhile, soak the bread in the soy milk for 2 to 3 minutes and wring out. Set aside.
• Drain and purée the leeks in a food processor or blender. Set aside.
• In a large sauté pan over medium heat, sauté the onion in the olive oil for 2 to 3 minutes, until translucent. Stir in the bread, leeks, flour, salt, and pepper. Form into small balls and flatten.
• Heat a heavy skillet and enough oil for frying. Fry the patties on both sides until lightly browned.
Makes 4 servings