Tofu Filling: 1/2 lb. firm tofu
1/2 Tbsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. basil
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
Textured Vegetable Protein Filling:
7/8 cup boiling water
1 cup textured vegetable protein (TVP) granules (available in health food stores)
1 tsp. olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. basil
1/2 tsp. oregano
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
4 cups marinara sauce
12 uncooked lasagna noodles (1/2 lb.)
4 oz. soy mozzarella cheese, grated (optional)
• To prepare the tofu filling, blend all the ingredients in a food processor or blender until smooth.
• To prepare the TVP filling, pour the boiling water over the textured vegetable protein granules and let stand for about 10 minutes.
• Meanwhile, sauté the onion, green pepper, garlic, basil, and oregano in the olive oil. Add the hydrated granules and soy sauce and sauté for a few minutes.
• Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. To assemble the lasagna, cook the lasagna noodles according to the package directions and drain. Spread 1 cup marinara sauce over the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch pan. Cover the sauce with 4 cooked lasagna noodles and spread the tofu filling evenly over the noodles. Cover with 4 more cooked lasagna noodles and about 1 1/2 cups sauce, then spread the textured vegetable protein filling evenly over the layer of sauce. Cover with 4 more cooked lasagna noodles and the rest of the sauce, then cover evenly with the grated soy mozzarella cheese, if desired.
• Cover and bake for about 30 minutes, then uncover and bake for 5 more minutes.
Makes 8 to 12 servings