2 1-lb. blocks firm tofu
3 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 1/2 Tbsp. toasted sesame oil
1 1/2 Tbsp. dry sherry
3 Tbsp. water
1/4 tsp. pepper
• Freeze the tofu for at least one day then thaw it and squeeze out the excess water. This changes the consistency of the tofu, making it chewier and more porous.
• Place the two blocks of tofu next to each other in an oiled loaf pan, making sure that they are as close together as possible.
• Combine the soy sauce, sesame oil, sherry, water, and pepper to create a marinade.
• Pour 2/3 of this marinade over the tofu, cover the dish, and place it in the refrigerator overnight. Cover the remaining marinade and refrigerate it.
• Remove the tofu from the refrigerator and pour the remaining marinade over the top.
• Bake at 350°F for 90 minutes, basting every half hour and flipping after 45 minutes. (When flipping the tofu, use caution so that it does not break apart.)
• Cool the tofu to room temperature or place in the freezer until cool, at which point it will have a firm, meaty consistency.
• Use it in sandwiches, as a main dish with gravy, or come up with your own serving ideas.
Makes 6-8 servings