Salt, to taste
1 large (or 2 medium-sized) eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch slices
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup soy milk
1 cup vegan bread crumbs
3-4 Tbsp. olive oil
2 cups spaghetti sauce
12 oz. vegan mozzarella “cheese,” shredded (try Follow Your Heart brand—www.followyourheart.com)
2 Tbsp. soy parmesan “cheese” (try Soymage brand—www.galaxyfoods.com)
5-6 fresh basil leaves, rolled and sliced into shreds
• Preheat the oven to 375°F.
• Salt the eggplant slices then place into a colander. Allow to set for 20 minutes in order to draw out the moisture and remove any bitterness.
• Put the flour, soy milk, and bread crumbs into separate shallow bowls. Dip each slice of eggplant into the flour to coat it, then into the soy milk, then into the bread crumbs. Set aside.
• Put the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the eggplant slices, fry until golden and crispy on both sides, then drain on paper towels.
• Pour a thin layer of spaghetti sauce into a 9-inch by 13-inch baking dish. Add the eggplant slices, arranging them so that they overlap. Top with the mozzarella and parmesan “cheeses,” basil, and a little more tomato sauce.
• Bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
Makes 4 servings