For the filling:
1 medium carrot, sliced
Broccoli florets from 1 large head of broccoli
1 3/4 cups soy cheese
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/2 tsp. olive oil
1/2 small yellow onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
1/8 tsp. black pepper
For the dough:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
1 package (or 1/4 oz.) active dry yeast
1 cup boiling water
• Preheat the oven to 350ºF and spray a baking sheet with vegetable cooking spray.
• Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil over medium heat, add the carrot and broccoli, and cook until crisp but tender, about 1 minute. Drain and rinse under cold water.
• In a large bowl, combine the carrot, broccoli, soy cheese, and red pepper. Mix well.
• In a small saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until softened, about 3 minutes. Add to the vegetable mixture. Add the parsley and pepper. Mix well.
• For the dough, combine the flour, salt, sugar, and yeast in a large bowl.
• Mix in the boiling water. Divide the dough into 4 balls. Roll each ball into an 8-inch circle.
• Place the filling evenly over half of each circle, leaving a 1-inch border. Fold the dough over the filling and pinch the edges together to seal.
• Place on the prepared baking sheet. Prick the tops with a fork. Bake the calzone until golden brown (about 25 minutes). Serve hot.
Makes 4 servings